1Likes
  • 1 Post By Muzza80

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2005
Car Model: Forester Sti
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thoughts on brake pads for UK roads

I'll be replacing the discs and pads all round later in the year and have been considering what to put on there. (2005 STi, Brembo gold calipers)

I dont track the Foz so I'm aiming for a fast road setup, but in saying that I would be on the mildly fast side of that rather then the balls out at all times side. So some aggressive braking at times but not 100 down to 20 multiple times kind of thing

I'm fine in spending the money to get a performance setup but not the £150+ prices of some pads that I've seen!

Form readings on this forum and Scoobynet I'm swaying towards the high carbon Brembo discs with the Brembo sport pads, the other pad option was the Performance Friction Z rated but in comparison the Brembo sport was said to be the better fast road pad with the PFZ pad more biased towards fast road with occasional track use.

Its hard to find any kinds of testing results for the discs/pads in direct comparison so I'm open to what others have to say about their thoughts on the matter.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 06:02 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: Forester STI
Transmission: 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hoff View Post
I'll be replacing the discs and pads all round later in the year and have been considering what to put on there. (2005 STi, Brembo gold calipers)

I dont track the Foz so I'm aiming for a fast road setup, but in saying that I would be on the mildly fast side of that rather then the balls out at all times side. So some aggressive braking at times but not 100 down to 20 multiple times kind of thing

I'm fine in spending the money to get a performance setup but not the £150+ prices of some pads that I've seen!

Form readings on this forum and Scoobynet I'm swaying towards the high carbon Brembo discs with the Brembo sport pads, the other pad option was the Performance Friction Z rated but in comparison the Brembo sport was said to be the better fast road pad with the PFZ pad more biased towards fast road with occasional track use.

Its hard to find any kinds of testing results for the discs/pads in direct comparison so I'm open to what others have to say about their thoughts on the matter.

I had the Brembo HP2000 pads you're considering on a previous Audi S3 and didn't particularly rate them to be honest, the Ferrodo DS2500 I ditched them for were better in every aspect bar dust levels.

As it happens I've just fitted a full set of Porterfield R4S to my FSTI yesterday, bedded them in last night and took them for a good drive after that. Compared to the cheap OE spec Pagid's that were in there, the early signs are excellent. No noise at all, very OE feeling when cold so no worried in that aspect but get them warm and they really start to shine, not grabby at all but much more feel through the pedal, not been able to overheat them as they just keep getting better the hotter they are. Big plus is next to no dust after a proper 30 mile back road hooning, the previous pads would have turned the gold wheels a very dusty grey after that.

Give it a week or two and ill have a better idea. They were £230 delivered for the full set from a chap called Sean Whiffin on the Subaru Forester Owners Club UK facebook group.

P.S - not found a better disc yet than the Brembo HC coated line, they're excellent and as soon as my current ones need changing that's what will be going on.

Lockheed likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 06:53 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester 2.5X RWD
Transmission: JDM 6mt
I am a big fan of EBC pads. Red or Yellow, depending on how spirited we get.
I had yellows to give plenty of "whoa" to my 440whp STI's "go" and they are very street-able. Good cold bite, a little noise when dead cold but only the first couple stops.

Definitely like the Brembo high carbon OE rotors.

sleepstate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 08:57 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: forester sti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzza80 View Post
I had the Brembo HP2000 pads you're considering on a previous Audi S3 and didn't particularly rate them to be honest, the Ferrodo DS2500 I ditched them for were better in every aspect bar dust levels.

As it happens I've just fitted a full set of Porterfield R4S to my FSTI yesterday, bedded them in last night and took them for a good drive after that. Compared to the cheap OE spec Pagid's that were in there, the early signs are excellent. No noise at all, very OE feeling when cold so no worried in that aspect but get them warm and they really start to shine, not grabby at all but much more feel through the pedal, not been able to overheat them as they just keep getting better the hotter they are. Big plus is next to no dust after a proper 30 mile back road hooning, the previous pads would have turned the gold wheels a very dusty grey after that.

Give it a week or two and ill have a better idea. They were £230 delivered for the full set from a chap called Sean Whiffin on the Subaru Forester Owners Club UK facebook group.

P.S - not found a better disc yet than the Brembo HC coated line, they're excellent and as soon as my current ones need changing that's what will be going on.
Sean Whiffin is a top bloke and friend of mine , his brother owns Garage Whiff Bitz .

I can vouch for him if this means anything .

I have Dyslexia, if you don't like my spelling go @&%# #@*?$
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester Sti
Thanks for the replies all, Brembo HC discs for sure then.

I had a set for DS2500's on an Impreza before and found them very dusty so hate to think what the HP2000's are like!

I did also consider the Porterfield R4S pads also but thought they were pricey, one to add to the shortlist

I've never been a fan of the EBC stuff myself, tried them a few times over the years and never really got on with them
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 10:38 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: forester sti
I think dusty pads go hand in hand with good brakes.

come on where would we be if not cleaning wheels from brake dust .

I have Dyslexia, if you don't like my spelling go @&%# #@*?$
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > International Forums > Europe

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode