User Tag List

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 05:55 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: Forester Cross Sport
Transmission: AUTO
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Super - How much do you pay?

Got a bit of a shock today. Needed petrol and pulled in to an Esso garage. 95 Ron £1.31 super was £1.49!!

I thought it was maybe 8-10p extra for super? This stuff was only 97 Ron.

Found a Tesco that did 99 Ron for £1.31.

Out of interest I wonder how much more you chaps pay geographically between 95 and super?

Cheers

Alan Mac.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 09:05 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: forester sti
I pay currently £1.29 for 99momentum and £1.43 for shell v power .

I did a bit of research into this a while back and why the cost of the 2 mentioned are so wildly different and I cant remember the exact ins and outs of it but the conclusion was that.

Shell gets the octane rating through refinement . (this is why it costs more)

Tesco Momentum gets it octane rating through additives (ethanol) from my research I gather this goes back 95ron in a matter of weeks
so from memory don't leave momentum in your tank for long periods.

This is good subject and thankyou to Alan for bringing it up, if there are any petro-chemists out there id be happy to proved wrong

I have Dyslexia, if you don't like my spelling go @&%# #@*?$
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 11:17 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: FSTi
Transmission: 6 speed manual
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
£1.29.9 up here for 99ron... Flipping rediculous.
It goes from £1.19 up to £1.31.9 like a fkn yoyo like every couple of weeks.

Sook mah baws peasant

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 01:40 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: Forester XTE
Transmission: 5 speed manual
@Lockheed

Thanks for that piece of information about different premium fuels - I was unaware. I will stick to V-Power from now in.

God - I remember searching around filling stations for 5 star (101 octane for the youngsters ) to feed to my Laverda. Last one to go was in the next village - probably had it in his tank for years....
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 09:49 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: STi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockheed View Post
I pay currently £1.29 for 99momentum and £1.43 for shell v power .

I did a bit of research into this a while back and why the cost of the 2 mentioned are so wildly different and I cant remember the exact ins and outs of it but the conclusion was that.

Shell gets the octane rating through refinement . (this is why it costs more)

Tesco Momentum gets it octane rating through additives (ethanol) from my research I gather this goes back 95ron in a matter of weeks
so from memory don't leave momentum in your tank for long periods.

This is good subject and thankyou to Alan for bringing it up, if there are any petro-chemists out there id be happy to proved wrong
Both v-power 99 and Momentum 99 use the UK mandatory 0-5% ethanol in their fuels, shell does have a higher content of aromatics and olefins in their fuels compared to tesco. However the science papers on this actually suggests that higher aromatics and olefins can actually worsen engine cleanliness, is it any coincidence that vpower was reformulated to nitro+ to help engine cleanliness?

Freshness is very important of course, this is really hard to gauge though depending on where you get the fuel, the market for premium fuel in that area and how often it is used. I've ran my cars on both and not really seen any difference, esso 97 too which I believe (don't quote me) is also produced by Greenergy who supply momentum 99. BP however, massively different story, avoid that **** like the plague.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 12:01 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: Forester AW
Transmission: Manual with low ratio
V power up to about 1.46 here, Costco premium (99?) about 17-20 p cheaper, tesco in between, but the cars run better on v power, and tellingly the outboard and chainsaw tanks also get v power ( mixed with 2 stroke) and it doesn't go off when left for a few weeks in between using, in fact vpower in the chainsaw tank can last months without clogging up the carb.

2003 Forester AW, 2005 Impreza GX
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: Forester Cross Sport
Transmission: AUTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by batou View Post
Both v-power 99 and Momentum 99 use the UK mandatory 0-5% ethanol in their fuels, shell does have a higher content of aromatics and olefins in their fuels compared to tesco. However the science papers on this actually suggests that higher aromatics and olefins can actually worsen engine cleanliness, is it any coincidence that vpower was reformulated to nitro+ to help engine cleanliness?

Freshness is very important of course, this is really hard to gauge though depending on where you get the fuel, the market for premium fuel in that area and how often it is used. I've ran my cars on both and not really seen any difference, esso 97 too which I believe (don't quote me) is also produced by Greenergy who supply momentum 99. BP however, massively different story, avoid that **** like the plague.
Brilliant! Really interesting, top replies

Cheers

Alan
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 03:25 PM
Forum Member

Can anyone help educate me on this whole thing? I've been reading up online and I'm not seeing a vast amount of clarity.

My understanding is that the 2.5XT's should run on a higher octane rating (RON?), however from what I've read, all UK fuel is pretty much 95 RON(?) Is that high enough?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 01:24 AM
Forum Member

Hi Ian, in simple terms, U.K. Unleaded is 95 RON, but SUPER unleaded ( under different brand names ) is 97 to 99 RON. It costs a few pence per litre more than standard unleaded, hence the original title of the post.
It's really super unleaded you should use, to get the designed horsepower out of your engine.
Most folks seem to prefer Shell V power, but some of those folks with a Tesco station nearby ( not everyone does!) seem to use Tesco super unleaded with little or no difference noticed. I guess any available ( to you) super unleaded will be better than standard unleaded 95 though.
Don't forget, it might take a good few miles or a tankful or two for the ECU to fully optimise and fine- tune itself to the move from 95 to 97-99. There used to be good You tube clips ( sorry don't have the links handy) showing Impreza Sti,s in particular, giving 270-290 or more hp on v power, and dropped by to 220 or so, just switching to plain unleaded 95 RON.

Personally, with non- turbo (N/A, or normally aspirated) engines in our Subaru,s and a Shell station nearby, I use Vpower, not that it probably gives any extra hp in these motors, but I do get at least 10% extra mpg and it runs much more responsively, especially noticeably at low to mid revs and stronger just above tick over speed. So it pays for itself in better mpg.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 04:01 AM
Forum Member

Thanks for taking the time with your reply, definitely food for thought. Our 2.5 has has had 2 tanks of the normal stuff so should give me a rough guide on mpg, coming up to needing another tank full so will start the change.

On the doorstep are Asda and Morrisons. Might be a Texaco near...then Sainsbury's then Tescos... I have a fair selection.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 04:18 AM
Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianb1234 View Post
Thanks for taking the time with your reply, definitely food for thought. Our 2.5 has has had 2 tanks of the normal stuff so should give me a rough guide on mpg, coming up to needing another tank full so will start the change.

On the doorstep are Asda and Morrisons. Might be a Texaco near...then Sainsbury's then Tescos... I have a fair selection.
Don't think asda do super unleaded, don't know about the other supermarkets, but Texaco and your Tesco should. Hope your car is still living up to the initial expectations.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 04:50 PM
Forum Member

Down in the southwest, Tesco doing momentum for £1.30.

And yes thank you, it's great, we all love it.. fuel is something I'm figuring out. Using it more than I used to use the focus, but it's a new toy, and with a limited warranty, I want to give it a good running around in case anything goes pop..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > International Forums > Europe

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode