post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2005
Car Model: Forester STI
Transmission: Manual
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
FSTI catalogue?

After trawling through the forum for a while I’ve realised that there is no sticky thread on here dedicated to the compatibility of Subaru’s parts catalogue to the FSTI.

I mean, we all know that an FSTI is ‘basically’ an Impreza STI on stilts - but it’s very much a hotch-potch of Subaru’s parts catalogue from 04-07, with no definitive ‘that’ll go on’ or ‘that won’t fit’.

My recent coolant leaks caused me to have a look at Mishimoto radiators - their website only offers fitment for an XT, which left me wondering whether it actually was XT-specific. Then I found an eBay ad for an FSTI with a Mishimoto rad installed, so I was none the wiser. The ad is still live and I believe the owner is an active member on here.

It’s a niche idea but I noticed when having a browse for upgrades that almost no suppliers have the FSTI as an option on their ‘select your vehicle’ drop-down.

Another example, if I wanted braided brake lines for the Forester, which of the Impreza options could I select on Goodridge’s or HEL’s website in the absence of a Forester option - if any?
Or a full set of Samco hoses - could one order a set for a hawkeye STI and be safe that they’re all a direct fit? One’s an EJ255, the other an EJ257 - but ‘basically’ the same, right?

Would there be any support for a sticky thread, built up by us for us? A sharing of knowledge learnt by us all, perhaps. It could conceivably extend to other Forester trim levels, as there’s obviously shared components and similarities between them.

L

'00 Impreza UK turbo
'01 Impreza UK300

'05 FSTI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 02:04 PM
Don, King of the parts diagram

Car Year: MY11
Car Model: WRX STi Sedan
Transmission: 6MT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You'll find a lot of what you are asking about in this thread i believe.......

https://www.subaruforester.org/vbull...stralia-58144/

Was a MY03 FXT 5MT (280bhp/290Lbsft)
Now a MY11 WRX STi 4door (342bhp/360Lbsft)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 03:53 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Garage
True, Don - although it wouldn’t really cater for people who didn’t want to copy XT666. I’ve not read through his entire thread but although I see specific part numbers he used, I didn’t see too many occasions where he specifies that a given item is actually for MYxx Imprezas (or other Forester/Legacy models) but is a direct fit for his FSTi - you get my drift.

I was envisaging something that we can all chip in to, and all access, in times of need (or want).

Perhaps it’s too optimistic.

L

'00 Impreza UK turbo
'01 Impreza UK300

'05 FSTI

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 05:31 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Transmission: Stock Cooler/Heater Hardlines Deleted Custom 19 Row Cooler with -6AN Lines Directly Ported to CVT
Garage
I'm kinda into the idea of it.

My SJ FXT has been the trial balloon for plenty of parts I can add to such a list if it was in existence.

Unfortunately neither the Mishimoto or Koyo WRX radiators will work for me due to the front design differences of the front of the cars. It also turns out that although our engine covers are nearly identical the actual front bar that they mount to (using plastic pins that push into rubber grommets) is different. The WRX bar mounts to a point I have on my car, and is not used. It is due to the slope of the front of WRX and how low the hood (with an external scoop) sits compared to the Forest hood that sits higher. Does not have a hood scoop, but instead has an air flow system build into the underside of hood using ram air from the front grill. I test fit Perrin's fancy lock down kit for them.

Now it turns out the short block for the WRX, FXT, and BRZ are all exactly the same with the exception of a plate at the front of the cams that allows the different motors rev higher than the FXT. There is a slight difference in the piston compression numbers in the BRZ. Otherwise All other short block parts are interchangeable. I knew they were mostly compatible, but I thought the cams were different. A mechanic that started doing the motor swap on my car

The 2015+ WRX/STI Are now both on bigger axles and both have the 5x114.3 bolt pattern. And although some of the rear suspension parts mainly rear sway bars and mounts are compatible, but otherwise it's the older stuff that works on the SJ.

So it would be cool to have a quick reference page for each generation of the Forester and known crossover parts.

It would be where people could add their experience with working parts and the moderator would sort them into the locked first post of the thread.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakshow999 View Post
The 2015+ WRX/STI Are now both on bigger axles and both have the 5x114.3 bolt pattern. And although some of the rear suspension parts mainly rear sway bars and mounts are compatible...

So it would be cool to have a quick reference page for each generation of the Forester and known crossover parts.

It would be where people could add their experience with working parts and the moderator would sort them into the locked first post of the thread.
Exactly this ^^^ !

In the UK, Impreza STIs went from 5x100 PCD to 5.114.3 PCD with the blobeye phase, but the WRXs remained on the smaller bolt pattern for years after - but it’s not the case for Foresters (all STI variants stayed at 5x100), and likely different again in other world markets. It’s exactly the kind of thing from which we can only benefit by having to hand. I salute the Japanese for cobbling together great new models by using the parts bins from previous/other models, but for me trial and error is not the best way to learn what will and won’t work, particularly when the Forester is uncommon compared to its peers (at least, in the UK anyway).

Thanks for succinctly putting into two sentences what I said in half a bible in the original post.

L

'00 Impreza UK turbo
'01 Impreza UK300

'05 FSTI
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 09:32 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: forester sti
Im for it too . I very much would have liked a sticky or some such that displayed what does and what doesn't transfer from the impreza to the fsti when I first started .
I guess its too late for me as I approach the end of my journey.

But not too late for others .

I have Dyslexia, if you don't like my spelling go @&%# #@*?$
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 08:51 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester STi
Yup, good idea this. Save everyone having to rediscover everything.

It took a while for me to work out even fairly simple things e.g. which air filters are compatible, that the front STI Titanium strut brace from the JDM Blobeye Impreza is a direct fit, or that the front seat bolt patterns are identical so Impreza newage rails from Recaro etc fit without issue.

Suspension / driveline / Exhaust / Steering is all a bit of a mystery to me still.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 11:16 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: FSTi
Transmission: 6 speed manual
Garage
From my experience with 4 early Subaru's; 2 Foz S turbos my99/my01, a bugeye wrx wagon my01 and the FSTi my04.

The preface-lift FSTi (can't speak for the face-lift) is just a mix match of all the other three. Most parts from the S turbos fit (more the face-lift under the bonnet) and most from the newage bug fit too and nothing if you have a bit of modding skill can't make fit.... The preface-lift FSTi is almost like a face-lift S turbo slash bug wagon.

So basically the preface-lift FSTi is a gen1 face-lift Foz but with newage upgrades underneath.

Also noticed the airbox, filter, airbox to turbo pipe is the same on my04 as on my01 face-lift foz as are many of the engine auxiliaries and parts.

I'm not up on blobs,hawks, crosseyes or face-lift FSTi's but I guess the same principal would work for those. Match the years up from Foz to Imp and you can't really go that wrong surely?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 11:23 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: FSTi
Transmission: 6 speed manual
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockheed View Post
I guess its too late for me as I approach the end of my journey.
Pahaha there's no end in sight my dear friend Plenty more 60's left in that old moth ridden wallet I'm sure.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by highland forry View Post
The preface-lift FSTi (can't speak for the face-lift) is just a mix match of all the other three. Match the years up from Foz to Imp and you can't really go that wrong surely?
You’d think so, wouldn’t you? But it just isn’t the case.

For silicone hoses, I thought I’d be fine with buying a set for a hawkeye STI but alas - not all the hoses are used in a Forester, you do have to do a bit of mixing and matching.

Samco advertise only rad hoses for 1999-2001 Foresters on their catalogues - no doubt they took one look at the FSTI and decided that for the size of the market, it was far too much hassle to put together kits with the correct sizing. Have a look at some of the earlier links posted by others here, and you can see how much of a minefield it is.

Which brings me neatly to my original point. Just because there’s a dearth of off-the-shelf kits and items, doesn’t mean that there has to be a lack here as well. It’d be a massive undertaking, but all knowledge is power and can only serve to help everyone.

L

'00 Impreza UK turbo
'01 Impreza UK300

'05 FSTI
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 03:53 AM
Forum Member

Moth eaten? @highland forry ?
More like savaged by an unbalanced Kevin.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 09:29 AM
Forum Member

I know no one else is mad enough to fit a spec c manifold (no tgvs) but this is not straight forward as the spec c has a cable throttle body and the fsti has dbw throttle body, you need an adapter plate and top feed injectors none of which had readily glut of info .
This is a good mod for tuning and fuel consumption but pound for pound its not the best . I have a thread about it here …… somewhere.
Also deleting the tgvs gives you an extra input to an after market ecu which allowed me to run water/meth injection ……….. for anyone that's interested

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 05:08 PM
Forum Member

Transmission: Stock Cooler/Heater Hardlines Deleted Custom 19 Row Cooler with -6AN Lines Directly Ported to CVT
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMrRow View Post
Exactly this ^^^ !

In the UK, Impreza STIs went from 5x100 PCD to 5.114.3 PCD with the blobeye phase, but the WRXs remained on the smaller bolt pattern for years after - but it’s not the case for Foresters (all STI variants stayed at 5x100), and likely different again in other world markets. It’s exactly the kind of thing from which we can only benefit by having to hand. I salute the Japanese for cobbling together great new models by using the parts bins from previous/other models, but for me trial and error is not the best way to learn what will and won’t work, particularly when the Forester is uncommon compared to its peers (at least, in the UK anyway).

Thanks for succinctly putting into two sentences what I said in half a bible in the original post.

L
Your Welcome!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 07:23 PM
Forum Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMrRow View Post
You’d think so, wouldn’t you? But it just isn’t the case.

For silicone hoses, I thought I’d be fine with buying a set for a hawkeye STI but alas - not all the hoses are used in a Forester, you do have to do a bit of mixing and matching.

Samco advertise only rad hoses for 1999-2001 Foresters on their catalogues - no doubt they took one look at the FSTI and decided that for the size of the market, it was far too much hassle to put together kits with the correct sizing. Have a look at some of the earlier links posted by others here, and you can see how much of a minefield it is.

Which brings me neatly to my original point. Just because there’s a dearth of off-the-shelf kits and items, doesn’t mean that there has to be a lack here as well. It’d be a massive undertaking, but all knowledge is power and can only serve to help everyone.

L
Regarding Samco hoses, (Which I used on all of my water cooled VW's) talk to the guys at Mann-Engineering.

In my case I ordered the Mishimoto 2015+ WRX kit, TWICE! I got a new complete kit when we did the motor swap and I was able to use the "left over" hoses for things like my Radium AOS connections, etc.
We have damn near identical motors so I new they should work.

The one thing I really rolled the dice on was my Perrin spherical PSRS caster bushings. After that I realized I could switch over to the WRX/STI Aluminum front A arms. (This was also suggested by the North American Superpro Rep.as they sell the arms with their bushings already installed) So far as I can tell there is no front swaybar crossover for the SJ Forester. Nor is one needed. End links can/should be upgraded. I personally settled on WhiteLines upgraded ones that looked like the same design as the OEM ones, but adjustable. While the Kartboys worked fine in the rear, on my stage 1 suspension setup, the fronts bushings got destroyed just from daily driving. I attempt to explain to people that they really shouldn't put a bigger swaybar in front. Some listen, some don't and attempt to tell me how great their car feels with a 27mm front swaybar and either an OEM or 20mm STI swap in back. Then they attempt to keep up with me on a twisty road. Where you will never hear my tires squeal, and if you are in the car with me you will never see the traction control lights come on. (I spent too much time riding on road race courses and supermoto to ever push it on the street.) Anyway... they can't keep up and their front end keeps sliding on corner entry and exit. For now I think if I did my stage 1 suspension over I may have removed the front swaybar and put the WRX/STI 20mm in the rear. However on my Mann springs the 20mm worked great the car handled exactly square on my stage 1 suspension I started to learn a bunch about crossover parts when I purchased my 99s. The first thing I said to myself on the first freeway onramp I took at speed was I have to get ride of the rear end body roll! And so I learned that the blob eyes sedan rear swaybar would fit, but not the wagon!

My point in this diatribe is I am in agreement that we should not only have "here is a part number from this that you can use for that", but maybe an info introduction in different sections. Explaining what where and why you should or shouldn't do certain things. And then installation how to's at the the end of the sections.

If someone wants to start design a layout/structure everyone interested in contributing can start getting their part numbers installation tips etc. And if we can't have a sticky in this forum I would be happy to host the database an website for free.
Lockheed likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > International Forums > Europe

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode