Contributing Member

Car Year: 2011
Car Model: XT Touring
Transmission: 4EAT
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sway162 View Post
Nice photos everyone! Although, I currently do not own a Forester...I'd love to participate because photography is what I love to do when I am not working. I wish I had more time to go out and shoot sexy cars but that time is always limited.
ive seen the benz...and the shots are more then qualified. lol. im always jelly.

im sure many of us could use some of your always helpful tips/pointers man. good to have ya!

sway162 and Raz007 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

305WHP/360WTQ
Instagram: @FXTerrific
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 455 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 12:36 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: '06
Car Model: Forester LL Bean
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by coheed View Post
Man, there are some good photos in here. Makes me feel almost inadequate to post mine. Both were taken with a Rebel T3i with a kit lens and an $11 polarizing filter. Photography has never been super interesting to me, but when my mother gave me the T3i after upgrading, it's something that's really piqued my interest. Mainly been trying to work on my framing and letting the camera mess with the settings for me. Done some experimenting with settings with landscape stuff, not so much the vehicle shots.

Getting the Foz dirty up on the NC-TN border today.
[img]...[/img]

And my rust bucket POS 78 Corona.
[img]...[/img]
Best thing I think you could do would be to get rid of that kit lens. Figures, right? Of course someone would recommend "spend more money" as the answer!

My recommendation isn't just being a gear snob, it's actually to help you learn. I think kit lenses are terrible because they give you too many options. "Necessity is the mother of invention" or something like that...

Get a prime lens (fixed focal length, no zoom) and stick with it until you feel like you have another type of photo you'd like to make that isn't possible with your current prime lens. Being "stuck" with a fixed lens helps you to work on your positioning, using your feet as the zoom instead of using the band-aid that zoom lenses can act as for a beginner.

It will help you with composition because if you can't get a certain shot, you'll need to move around until you can. If you still can't, you can get creative with your composition in order to make a good photo.

What a lot of people do is just buy a 50mm f/1.8 because there's a cheap and fast option. Canon has their "nifty fifty" lens, and they have a newer version of it that's around $125. It's a little tight on a crop body, but it's a really great starting point.

What's considered "normal", or closest to the perspective that your eyes see, on a full frame or traditional film camera is 50mm. Your T3i is a "crop" camera body, which has a 1.6x magnification factor. So that turns a 50mm into an 80mm lens effectively. To get to about 50mm equivalent on your camera, you'd want to look for a ~30mm lens. That can come later if you decide to go that route, because the few options that are out there in that range are quite a bit more expensive.

A great side effect of getting a prime lens is good optical quality and fast aperture. That 50mm is a fixed f/1.8, which means you'll have better options in low light and of course that great background blur everyone wants. You can mess with the aperture settings to change the look of your photo.

Another recommendation is really just to get off of auto mode and screw around. Make it a point from here on out, don't ever shoot on auto again. The camera knows what it's doing, but you'll never learn if you let it decide for you. Shoot on AV (aperture priority) to learn how that affects the image, then TV (Time, or shutter length). When on each mode, look at what other settings are chosen when you take the pic, and see how that affects the photo. Eventually move to manual. The good thing with digital is that you can take an infinite number of pics and then delete the ones that you don't like.

If buying a lens isn't in the cards, that doesn't change anything about learning. Shoot manual as often as possible and eventually you'll learn how each setting affects others.

post #63 of 455 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 05:33 PM
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Car Year: 06
Car Model: Xt\05 sti
Transmission: Mt
Garage
Great info right there^ couldn't of said it better myself.. and that is basically how I started and still what I sometimes shoot with. You can pick up 50mm 1.8F on ebay for very cheap too.

So you don't even have to shell 125$ I think you can get them all day for around $70 if not less.
FXTerrific and coheed like this.

06 FXT 2' lifted/Cobb stage 3
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

-

post #64 of 455 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 07:49 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: Forester X
@rantlers

Well, being back in college with the house needing work and two project vehicles, camera gear is on the very very low end of priority list. That being said I almost always shoot with the lens all the way out with MF. Really the only time I zoom is with the 75-300mm I also have, for animals I can't get close to (but I don't usually have that lens away from the house).

That being said, I was thinking when I do buy a prime lens I'd go with the 24mm f/2.8. The reason I thought of going with that one is because most of the stuff I take photos of is wide scenery. With the 24 and the 50 being roughly the same price wise, aside from low light shooting, would it be detrimental to me learning going with the 24? I'll definitely keep it on Tv or Av from now on.

Also so I stay sort of true to thread.

FXTerrific likes this.

Last edited by Kevin; 09-26-2017 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Unnecessary use of "Quote"
post #65 of 455 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 08:32 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2005
Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: Automatic
Took this when exploring some dirt roads around our local ski resort here in Lake Tahoe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	small.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	443858  
FXTerrific, sway162 and mr_donald like this.
post #66 of 455 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 03:17 AM
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Garage
@coheed

If you are looking into doing more scenery and less car photos the 24 mm would work well. The 50 mm will yield much better results in my opinion in automotive photography. The lower F value will give you a much better DOF when you use the lens at f1.8.. this will give you the crispness of the image and the nice bokeh effect of the surrounding environment to give your subject the added emphasis.

Here is my 50 mm on my canon t2i. Older photo of mine but showcases the idea.

One thought I always try to take with me when going to shoot is: Show the audience a new perspective. Basically anyone can walk up and hold their cell phone or camera and take a photo from chest or head height. But given a new vantage point for a object can give it much greater presence and excitement.

This is something most viewers will not see of my car. Same is true of the above shot as it is a much lower shot, as most won't lay down or crouch to look at my forester.

Down the shoot by Blingstrom, on Flickr
FXTerrific, sway162 and rantlers like this.

-

-

Last edited by Kevin; 09-26-2017 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Unnecessary use of "Quote"
post #67 of 455 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 05:07 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: 2.0 XT Touring
Transmission: High Torque CVT
@rantlers Thank you, and to everyone else as well, for your pointers/advice.

I bought a Canon Eos 70D 3+ years? ago, when they first came out. It came with a kit zoom lens, but I also sprung for a nicer piece of glass, the 50mm 1.8
Unfortunately I somehow always revert to one of the auto modes when I'm at family functions so as not to miss that special moment. I really have to try and use one of the manual modes more often to really start learning how to shoot with it.

Can anyone recommend any good beginner photography books? Any good websites or forums?

I'll be going to Greece in a week to visit my mom, so hopefully I'll have some decent photos to show everyone when I get back.

2014 XT Touring
Satin White Pearl
post #68 of 455 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by coheed View Post
...I was thinking when I do buy a prime lens I'd go with the 24mm f/2.8.
i first bought an EF 85mm f/1.8 USM (love it). then the EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM. then the EF 50mm f/1.8 STM. maybe a week in with the 50mm, i never took the 24mm out of the box again. not that i didnt like it, or wasnt happy with it. but that i loved the 50mm that much MORE. and since it was so "fast" of a change, i know it wasnt like i had just gotten better. it was just easier to make images "pop", with the 50. (all of my photos are of my car, or my kids. as far as what i was shooting, where i felt the 50mm shined, slightly more)

for fun, unedited, untouched...right off the camera.
24mm:
50mm:
Tvilleguy, sway162 and Blingstrom like this.

305WHP/360WTQ

Last edited by FXTerrific; 09-22-2017 at 07:15 AM.
post #69 of 455 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 05:43 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Garage
@Gdaddy721 youll start to pick it up quick. i was exactly like that, when under the gun.

shooting in AV mode will get easier, very quick. even just because it means you dont have to do EVERYTHING. much of it is just wrapping your head around what the camera is going to do when you pull the hook, coupled with whatever setting you change...and what thats effecting. ask yourself,"when i change this thing...how will the camera adjust, with what its about to do?" youll start to learn relationship of things like aperture, iso, and shutter speed. in AV mode, youre in control or the aperture (F-stop. like when people in here have mentioned a photo was at f/2.0, etc. essentially how big the hole is where the light is coming in. lower number, bigger hole, more light. higher number, smaller hole, less light...through the sensor), and the ISO (like how sensitive the image sensor is to the light thats going through). so with you setting both of those aspects...now the camera knows how big the hole is going to be, how to handle the light, and its its job to control the shutter speed (essentially, time. for how long will the light be allowed in), to get it "right".

once you get a loose knowledge of the idea in the paragraph above...youll be able to make youre adjustments a little quicker...to get it right when youre in the more dimly lit dinning room, vs the back deck, etc, etc. a good tip, that might make it easier, to get it right, when youre at that party, and so and so walks by with the kid, and you want a quick shot, that looks good...without having to control the whole room.
-before they even get there...take some practice shots, around the room. with the different lighting, in the different areas. all in all, if the picture of the empty couch looks good...its also going to look good when the people sit on it.

AND/OR, take a moment to move the dial on your camera to "CA" (creative auto) mode. where essentially you only control, flash firing (turn it off), brightness, depth of field, and overall picture styling (vivid colors, soft light....filters)....and the camera handles all the things i mentioned above. great if youre in a pinch...but for most people, and me...you quickly learn that you want to be the one controlling additional things, and move away from that mode.

---i apologize if any of that is incorrect. if so, please correct me. thats just the way i think of it. haha.
sway162 and rantlers like this.

305WHP/360WTQ

Last edited by FXTerrific; 09-22-2017 at 09:10 AM.
post #70 of 455 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 08:47 AM
Forester of the Year 2014
Contributing Member

Car Year: SJ
Car Model: XT Premium
Transmission: CVT
Garage
Happy Friday!

Crazy looking back at all the pics I took of my SJ. So much has changed from the way I shoot to the way I edit now. This was from a couple years ago.

Nikon D3200
85mm f/1.8

85mm
f/3.5
1/400
ISO 100

cedar medical bldg_-3 by Josh Fernandez, on Flickr

Stay in S# my friends

post #71 of 455 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 08:57 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: 2.0 XT Touring
Transmission: High Torque CVT
@FXTerrific Thanks, that's a wealth of good information right there. I appreciate you taking the time to write all that.
I'll def try and use less auto controls while I'm in Greece and I'll also try and use my 50mm prime lens more often than not.

2014 XT Touring
Satin White Pearl
post #72 of 455 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Garage
anytime man. 50% if it is just mental relays, from people who have helped me.

dont even bring the other lenses. that solves that portion of the "problem". lol.

305WHP/360WTQ

Last edited by FXTerrific; 09-22-2017 at 10:32 AM.
post #73 of 455 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Garage
also, for those of you that own a forester....

the Forester of the Month stuff will be making a comeback in October. maybe ride out the year with the current format, and themes...then switch it up some going forward after that. to try and get the ball rolling much better (as far as # of participants...the photos are always great!).

i dont want to turn this thread into that...but maybe have them be (somewhat) related down the line. even if its as simple as a place to mentioned theres a new one starting, and the theme (if there even is a theme), etc.

also, i plan to get some shots of a honda civic si on the way home. wish me luck
mr_donald likes this.

305WHP/360WTQ
post #74 of 455 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 04:16 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 03
Car Model: forester 2.5x
Transmission: 4 eat
Garage
got to work early this morning.... theres a swamp about 5 min down the road, happened to have the Rebel xti in the car....LOL early morning swamp shoot!

sucks how much you have to compress the file to upload it on the forum though....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scoob.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	444146  

bogieboy
post #75 of 455 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 07:16 PM
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Garage
Great shot! I love the haziness and feeling in this photo. I would only offer the advice to not cut off your main subject in the photo.

You can use Flickr for uploading and it won't compress your images on their site. Then when you link them here and we click one the image we can see the full uncompressed photo.

-

-

Last edited by Kevin; 09-26-2017 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Unnecessary use of "Quote"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > General Forums > Member Galleries

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode