('14-'18) Yokohama Geolander A/T-S vs Cooper Discoverer A-T3 - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2015, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2016
Car Model: Forester 2.5i Tour..
Transmission: 6spd MT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Yokohama Geolander A/T-S vs Cooper Discoverer A-T3

I should hopefully be picking up my 2016 Forester 2.5i Touring 6spd in the next couple weeks and my first order of business is getting some better tires.

After a couple days of searching the forum, I've narrowed it down to the Yoko Geolander A/T-S in 225/60/17 or the Cooper Discoverer A-T3 in 235/60/17. Now the issue is that the Yokohama's are not available in Canada in that size. I can order them from Tirerack and pick them up just across the border and bring them home. Or the Cooper's I can get locally for about the same price. The big thing is do the Cooper's being a 235 width tire fit the 14+ Forester, on stock rims, with no rubbing? I've looked at I don't know how many threads and some people say they fit with no rubbing, others say there is a bit of rub and some people have them on different offset wheels and they fit. Can anyone with first hand experience definitively say the 235 Cooper's rub or not?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2015, 07:02 AM
Emeritus Forum Staff

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Transmission: CVT
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
There are a lot of guys running the Coopers with no rubbing.

I believe they are better tires than the Yokohamas too. I run the Yokos because I don't want to buy smaller wheels.

Lifted 2014 XT Touring Ice Silver

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Ok great, the Coopers are my first choice. One question though in regards to the spare. If I had to throw the spare on with the Coopers would that be an issue because of diameters and how all the tires have to be within a certain tolerance? I see that you've got a full size spare aired down but with a new baby, I need all the space I can get!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 05:42 PM
Emeritus Forum Staff

Garage
A full size spare would be strongly advised since the diameter will be greater than stock.

-

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Hmm, that makes me second guess the Coopers. Might just play it safe and go with the Yoko Geolander A/T-S
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 07:04 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2017
Car Model: Forester Touring 2.5
I would stick with OEM size as long as the car is under warranty.
I've never heard the dealer use non-OEM size as an excuse, but I can see how it could easily happen.

Wag more, bark less.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Now that I've picked up my 2016, I have a couple more questions. What is the maximum diameter difference allowed between the regular tire and the spare? Here are the diameters of what I'm looking at:

Stock Yokohama Geolandar G91F 225/60/17 - 27.6" diameter
Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S 225/60/17 - 27.6" diameter
SpareTire Bridgestone Tracompa2 145/80/17 - 26.1" diamter
Cooper Discoverer A-T3 235/60/17 - 28.31" diameter

With the above mentioned diameters I see there is already a difference of 1.5" between the stock Yoko's and the spare so that's obviously acceptable. But between the Coopers and the spare would be 2.21". Too much?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 04:02 PM
Emeritus Forum Staff

Garage
What is your motivation for buying an all terrain tire in the first place?

It is likely because you plan to drive in areas where an all terrain tire is good to have, possibly due to increased risk of puncture from rocks. Would you want to be 20 miles off a paved road and only have a donut spare?

Even if you get the stock size all terrain tires, I would still recommend a full size spare. You can't drive at highway speeds on a donut spare, which is designed to get you into town so you can buy a new tire. Obviously driving on off sized tires is hard on the differentials, but for short term at lower speeds it is acceptable. Increasing the difference in tire diameters will increase the strain on the differential.

Diameter difference is only one of many reasons to buy a full sized spare tire.

-

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 04:27 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: Forester I-Premium
Transmission: 6MT
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
are you planning on using winter tires?

If so purchase a set on wheels and keep one for your full size spare.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 05:19 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester 2.5 Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooly View Post
Now that I've picked up my 2016, I have a couple more questions. What is the maximum diameter difference allowed between the regular tire and the spare? Here are the diameters of what I'm looking at:

Stock Yokohama Geolandar G91F 225/60/17 - 27.6" diameter
Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S 225/60/17 - 27.6" diameter
SpareTire Bridgestone Tracompa2 145/80/17 - 26.1" diamter
Cooper Discoverer A-T3 235/60/17 - 28.31" diameter

With the above mentioned diameters I see there is already a difference of 1.5" between the stock Yoko's and the spare so that's obviously acceptable. But between the Coopers and the spare would be 2.21". Too much?
Any updates @Tooly ? What did you end up getting?

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Unread Today, 06:50 PM
Forum Member

I am looking to install a set of tires/wheels on my 2016 Forester for a trip onto BLM land in WY this fall. I have already added the Primitive skid plates and a minimal 1" lift to ensure clearance of 235/65/17 Cooper ATS or Geolander. What I cannot dig up is whether the offset should be 35 or 40 to ensure inside clearance.
Looking for wise words of wisdom/guidance ........?
jchemme2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Wheels and Tires