('14-'18) Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 Fitment and review - Page 6 - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

24Likes

post #76 of 80 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 07:49 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2018
Car Model: Forester XT Premium
Transmission: CVT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88maroon View Post
I just replaced my old duelers with the g015 today. i like how they look and so far so good. Shouldn't be any rubbing. they are the stock tire size that came with my vehicle.
Nice, love the look.

Ended up doing the same and went with stock 225/55/18. Mileage is still great at approx 24mpg/9.8 l/100km

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1289.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	501377  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 10:05 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: SJ 2.0XTP
Transmission: HTLCVT
Yokohama G015 Flatspotting

Has anyone else noticed the tendency of their G015s to develop flat spots when parked overnight? The problem is more noticeable when temperatures get into the 30s or 40s (°F), or when they sit for more than a couple of days. People who live in hotter climates or drive on rougher roads may never notice the problem, and it usually goes away completely after a relatively few miles of driving.

Many years ago, Nylon ply tires were notorious for major thumping in the morning. As steel, fiberglass, aramid and other belt/ply materials generally replaced Nylon in tire construction, complaints about morning tire flatspotting more of less disappeared. However, it seems that Nylon/polyamide has been making a comeback of sorts in specialty/performance tires such as the Yokohama G015, which has a single Nylon tread ply. The design engineers apparently felt the benefits outweighed the drawback in this case, and the use of single Nylon belt wsn't going be anywhere near as bad as the multiple Nylon ply thumpers of old.

As things warm up where I live, I look forward to the problem being less noticeable, but decided to do a test while the morning temperatures were still in the 40s. On one of the routes I can take from my house, the first mile is on recently resurfaced, extremely smooth asphalt roads with fine aggregate topping and no patches. When starting off cold with the G015s on, a vibration can be felt through the steering wheel at about 40 MPH. It's quite noticeable, enough so that one might think something was seriously wrong with the car if they didn't know what was going on.

If I take a 2 mile circular detour and go back over the same stretch of smooth pavement (now at 3 miles since start), the vibration is almost gone, only noticeable to someone trying hard to detect it.

If I take another 2 mile circular detour and go back over the smooth stretch (then at 5 miles since start), everything is smooth as silk.

When researching the G015s before I bought them, I did find a reference to them flatspoting on another forum, but they were LT size tires on a truck, and I know those are sometimes made differently.

Several things tend to confirm Nylon tread ply flatspotting as the culprit with the G015s:

1) My G015s are well balanced, as they preform fine when warmed up, and at speeds that would be problematic if they weren't.

2) My Nokian Hakka' winter tires don't exhibit any such behavior over the same stretch of smooth road, even when it gets seriously cold.

3) If I take a different route when leaving the house where the road surfaces are older/rougher and the speed limits are 30 MPH, I don't feel
the problem at all. Many who drive under similar circumstances will think I'm making the flatspotting problem up.

I can easily live with this temporary minor annoyance now that I know it's not hurting anything.

I love my G015s, they pulled me out of a mudhole last week that filled one of my foglights up with gunk (defective safety relief vent?). I live in the middle of top 4 US cities of 100K or more population with the most snowfall:

All Snowiest US Cities | Golden Snow Globe National Snow Contest Snowiest US City Pop 100,000+

so I've had a chance to compare the G015s to my Nokian Hakkas in snow and they're certainly way better than a typical AW tire (though not really close on ice).

post #78 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 12:44 AM
New User

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: 2.5i Limited 4dr All
Transmission: 6-speed CVT w/OD and auto
Has anyone found reliable review of this tire on the net?

post #79 of 80 (permalink) Old Today, 01:27 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2106
Car Model: Forester
Is anyone running these in 225/60-17 on stock rims? Just looking to swap my original tires out for something the same size with more off road ability.
post #80 of 80 (permalink) Old Today, 01:44 PM
Supporting Vendor

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: All
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chew View Post
Is anyone running these in 225/60-17 on stock rims? Just looking to swap my original tires out for something the same size with more off road ability.
Being that is a stock size you would have no problems running this tire. It will give you some additional off-road stability. Shoot us a PM if we can help.

Low Prices! More Choices! Trusted Experts!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Wheels and Tires