('14-'18) Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 Fitment and review - Page 3 - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

 24Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 05:50 AM
Emeritus Forum Staff
 
GeoJosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 12,859
Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Transmission: CVT
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
@kutavyz - they should fit but may rub a little when you turn sharply, but that isn't a problem. They aren't large enough to cause differential or transmission issues. Only thing is your speedometer will read slight slow compared to your actual speed.

Diameter is very similar to what MonkeyRacer shows at the beginning of this thread, so expect similar fitment.

kutavyz likes this.

Lifted 2014 XT Touring Ice Silver


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GeoJosh is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 08:53 AM
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: ES
Posts: 96
Car Year: 2017
Car Model: Forester 2.0D CVT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoJosh View Post
@kutavyz - they should fit but may rub a little when you turn sharply, but that isn't a problem. They aren't large enough to cause differential or transmission issues. Only thing is your speedometer will read slight slow compared to your actual speed.

Diameter is very similar to what MonkeyRacer shows at the beginning of this thread, so expect similar fitment.
Thank you so much!

For the moment, I'll wait a little more to change the tires and will see if Yokohama or any other brands launch more dimensions, I will prefer to keep the stock dimensions for warranty reasons.
One last question. The different diameter of the tires could cause a malfunction on the ABS, ESP and X-Mode systems? Due to calibration reasons, I mean.

Thanks again.

kutavyz is offline  
post #33 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member
 
monkeyracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Golden
Posts: 278
Car Year: 2017
Car Model: GMC Canyon AT CCSB
Transmission: 8 speed
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutavyz View Post
Thank you so much!

For the moment, I'll wait a little more to change the tires and will see if Yokohama or any other brands launch more dimensions, I will prefer to keep the stock dimensions for warranty reasons.
One last question. The different diameter of the tires could cause a malfunction on the ABS, ESP and X-Mode systems? Due to calibration reasons, I mean.

Thanks again.
With almost 10K on these Tires, I have not seen any issue with ABS, ESP, Eyesight, Active Torque Vectoring, X-Mode, or anything. The only time you will have an issue with a system is when you can one tire at a different diameter compared to the rest (example - spare tire).

If I could justify getting 17's also (adds like $500 to the cost of tires), I would totally get the BFG KO2s in 225/65/17, but for now, these work okay, and give the aggressive tire look I was going for.
kutavyz likes this.

"Always Modding Something"
Subaru Ambassador
monkeyracer is offline  
 
post #34 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 10:33 AM
Emeritus Forum Staff
 
GeoJosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 12,859
Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Transmission: CVT
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Downside of BFG KO2 tires is their weight, which is substantially higher than other tires of equal diameter.

My tires are 235/65/17 and I haven't had any issues with Eyesight, x-mode, VDC, or ABS. That isn't to say it is impossible the larger diameters have an impact. From my experience, any impact is negligible.

Lifted 2014 XT Touring Ice Silver


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GeoJosh is offline  
post #35 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member
 
monkeyracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Golden
Posts: 278
Car Year: 2017
Car Model: GMC Canyon AT CCSB
Transmission: 8 speed
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoJosh View Post
Downside of BFG KO2 tires is their weight, which is substantially higher than other tires of equal diameter.
True.

OEM Bridgestone Dueler H/L 400 (225/55 R18): 25 lbs

Compared to other 18's:

Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 (235/60 R18): 34 lbs (+9 lbs, 36% heavier)
General Grabber AT2 (255/55/ R18): 34.5 lbs (+9.5 lbs, 36% heavier)
Toyo Open Country A/T II (255/55 R18): 35 lbs (+10 lbs, 40% heavier)
Nitto Terra Grappler G2 (255/55 R18): 35 lbs (+10 lbs, 40% heavier)
BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO2 (255/55 R18): 44 lbs (+19 lbs, 76% heavier) - This is 9 lbs heavier than the other 255/55s or 25% more than the same sized tires!

Also to compare the common 17's:

Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 (225/65 R17): 29.8 lbs (+4.8 lbs, 19% heavier)
Toyo Open Country A/T II (235/65 R17): 32 lbs (+7 lbs, 28% heavier)
Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10 (235/65 R17): 32 lbs (+7 lbs, 28% heavier)
Cooper Discoverer A/T3 (235/65 R17): 34 lbs (+9 lbs, 36% heavier)
Kumho Road Venture A/T51 (235/65 R17): 34.3 lbs (+9.3 lbs, 37% heavier)
BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A K02 (225/65 R17): 39 lbs (+14 lbs, 56% heavier)

The KO2's are the heaviest of each size group. This is due to the thicker sidewalls, and meatier tread blocks I assume.
Keep in mind, these sizes are a little mixed, and some, especially the 255/55 R18's, are unlikely to fit without rubbing or modifications. Most of these tires are in the 35 lbs range, and adding un-sprung weight and rolling mass are typically detrimental to the performance of a car. Here, the trade off is off-road capability.
Euro_Brazil likes this.

"Always Modding Something"
Subaru Ambassador
monkeyracer is offline  
post #36 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 01:50 PM
Emeritus Forum Staff
 
GeoJosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 12,859
Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Transmission: CVT
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yeah. The KO2 is a great tire, but beyond what most people in a Subaru would ever need.

I think the other options, such as Toyos, Hankook, Geolandars, and Generals, offer a better balance of street and off road ability that fits or vehicle niche.

Lifted 2014 XT Touring Ice Silver


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GeoJosh is offline  
post #37 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 07:23 PM
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 28
Car Year: 2015
Car Model: Forester 2.0XT Tour
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracer View Post
True.

OEM Bridgestone Dueler H/L 400 (225/55 R18): 25 lbs

Compared to other 18's:

Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 (235/60 R18): 34 lbs (+9 lbs, 36% heavier)
General Grabber AT2 (255/55/ R18): 34.5 lbs (+9.5 lbs, 36% heavier)
Toyo Open Country A/T II (255/55 R18): 35 lbs (+10 lbs, 40% heavier)
Nitto Terra Grappler G2 (255/55 R18): 35 lbs (+10 lbs, 40% heavier)
BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO2 (255/55 R18): 44 lbs (+19 lbs, 76% heavier) - This is 9 lbs heavier than the other 255/55s or 25% more than the same sized tires!

Also to compare the common 17's:

Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 (225/65 R17): 29.8 lbs (+4.8 lbs, 19% heavier)
Toyo Open Country A/T II (235/65 R17): 32 lbs (+7 lbs, 28% heavier)
Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10 (235/65 R17): 32 lbs (+7 lbs, 28% heavier)
Cooper Discoverer A/T3 (235/65 R17): 34 lbs (+9 lbs, 36% heavier)
Kumho Road Venture A/T51 (235/65 R17): 34.3 lbs (+9.3 lbs, 37% heavier)
BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A K02 (225/65 R17): 39 lbs (+14 lbs, 56% heavier)

The KO2's are the heaviest of each size group. This is due to the thicker sidewalls, and meatier tread blocks I assume.
Keep in mind, these sizes are a little mixed, and some, especially the 255/55 R18's, are unlikely to fit without rubbing or modifications. Most of these tires are in the 35 lbs range, and adding un-sprung weight and rolling mass are typically detrimental to the performance of a car. Here, the trade off is off-road capability.

I am looking to replace my 225/55R-18 YOKOHAMA GEOLANDAR A/T-S which have 35K miles and are worn out. I had a sidewall blowout in the first week (maybe a defective tire) and have been nervous ever since on rocky Forest Service roads half way up a mountain.

I'm thinking of moving to 17" wheels and would like a sturdy tire that won't require a lift or other adjustment. Will the Coopers or the Toyo Open Country work? And do any of the 18" ones you list have a sturdy sidewall?

I also have no idea about wheels if I move to 17".

thanks
davidsanger is offline  
post #38 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 02:14 AM
Emeritus Forum Staff
 
GeoJosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 12,859
Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Transmission: CVT
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsanger View Post
I'm thinking of moving to 17" wheels and would like a sturdy tire that won't require a lift or other adjustment. Will the Coopers or the Toyo Open Country work? And do any of the 18" ones you list have a sturdy sidewall?

I also have no idea about wheels if I move to 17".
You will rub a fair amount when turning if you try to put 235/65/17 tires on a stock XT. Mine is lifted 1.5 inches and still rubs a little at full lock.

You could run a 225/65/17 tire with less rubbing on stock suspension, or you could go down to 235/60/17 and not rub.

For wheels, you will probably want a 17x8 wheel with +40 to +30 offset, ideally. Anything greater than +40 will put your tire in contact with the spring perch on the strut. Check out my journal for info on my setup: https://www.subaruforester.org/vbulle...ournal-282330/

Lifted 2014 XT Touring Ice Silver


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GeoJosh is offline  
post #39 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member
 
monkeyracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Golden
Posts: 278
Car Year: 2017
Car Model: GMC Canyon AT CCSB
Transmission: 8 speed
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoJosh View Post
You will rub a fair amount when turning if you try to put 235/65/17 tires on a stock XT. Mine is lifted 1.5 inches and still rubs a little at full lock.

You could run a 225/65/17 tire with less rubbing on stock suspension, or you could go down to 235/60/17 and not rub.

For wheels, you will probably want a 17x8 wheel with +40 to +30 offset, ideally. Anything greater than +40 will put your tire in contact with the spring perch on the strut. Check out my journal for info on my setup: https://www.subaruforester.org/vbulle...ournal-282330/
Take a look at the dimensions again:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracer View Post
As a note, the 235/65/17 Geo G015 are the same dimensions and would fit exactly the same as these.
From rimsntires.com:



As I said in the OP: the 235/65/17 will fit EXACTLY the same as 235/60/18, and I only get rubbing on the fender liner at full steering lock, which you only use at a low speed, so you are just barely rubbing plastic and rubber at a low speed. No big deal. Otherwise, no rubbing at all, and no issues with the spring perch with a +48 offset (stock) wheel (see pics in first post). This is why all the sizes I listed with the weights were 235/65/17.

If you use a smaller offset wheel (meaning it pushes it further away from the steering king pin axis, thus increasing your scrub radius), the tire is more likely to push into the fender liner earlier in the steering cycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsanger View Post
I am looking to replace my 225/55R-18 YOKOHAMA GEOLANDAR A/T-S which have 35K miles and are worn out. I had a sidewall blowout in the first week (maybe a defective tire) and have been nervous ever since on rocky Forest Service roads half way up a mountain.

I'm thinking of moving to 17" wheels and would like a sturdy tire that won't require a lift or other adjustment. Will the Coopers or the Toyo Open Country work? And do any of the 18" ones you list have a sturdy sidewall?

I also have no idea about wheels if I move to 17".

thanks
Between the Coopers and the Toyos, I personally would go with the Toyos, GeoJosh has them and can speak to them a little more though. I think the G015s are supposed to have a little thicker sidewall than the Geo A/TS's, but I can't confirm that.

I don't know about the sidewall differences between the 18s on the list in the above post. All of them are All Terrain tires, which typically have a tougher sidewall, and my guess is the KO2 will have the thickest sidewall, otherwise I don't know why they are heavier.


Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoJosh View Post
Yeah. The KO2 is a great tire, but beyond what most people in a Subaru would ever need.

I think the other options, such as Toyos, Hankook, Geolandars, and Generals, offer a better balance of street and off road ability that fits or vehicle niche.
The funny thing is my wife has a '17 Jeep JK Wrangler Unlimited with KO2's (came stock with the cold weather package), and my Forester will end up seeing much more off road use than her JK with KO2s. So, while I agree, really any of these tires will probably be good for what a typical Forester needs, the KO2s are one of the top for those that do actually want to take the vehicle off road.

I found a great deal on some 17x7 +40 rims near me, but still haven't justified the cost of the tires when the Geo's work just fine, and have a lot of tread life still on them.

"Always Modding Something"
Subaru Ambassador
monkeyracer is offline  
post #40 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 06:23 AM
Emeritus Forum Staff
 
GeoJosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 12,859
Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Transmission: CVT
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracer View Post
As I said in the OP: the 235/65/17 will fit EXACTLY the same as 235/60/18, and I only get rubbing on the fender liner at full steering lock, which you only use at a low speed, so you are just barely rubbing plastic and rubber at a low speed. No big deal. Otherwise, no rubbing at all, and no issues with the spring perch with a +48 offset (stock) wheel (see pics in first post). This is why all the sizes I listed with the weights were 235/65/17.

If you use a smaller offset wheel (meaning it pushes it further away from the steering king pin axis, thus increasing your scrub radius), the tire is more likely to push into the fender liner earlier in the steering cycle..
I would personally run the 235/60/17 on stock height, but you can fit the 235/65/17, as you said.

The stock XT wheels are 18x7 +48. To get an 8 inch wide wheel to fit the same, it would need to be +35 offset. As I am running, an 8 inch wheel with +40 offset is extremely close to the spring perch.

Regarding the Toyo Open Country AT2, I am extremely happy with them. Tread wear thus far seems to be much better than the Geolandar ATS were on my stock wheels. I would either pick the Toyos or the Hankook Dynapro ATM if you were to run a 235/65/17 tire size.


Lifted 2014 XT Touring Ice Silver


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GeoJosh is offline  
post #41 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member
 
monkeyracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Golden
Posts: 278
Car Year: 2017
Car Model: GMC Canyon AT CCSB
Transmission: 8 speed
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sorry to bring math into this discussion...

Stock XT wheel: 18X7 +48 Offset
This makes the backspace:

A 7" rim is 178mm wide, midline at 89mm from the back of the rim.
89mm + 48mm = 137mm

An 8" rim is 203mm wide, midline at 102mm from the back of the rim.
137mm - 102mm = 35mm to get the same backspace as stock.

Initially, it looks like you are correct, if you only consider where the back of the rim lines up compared to stock. Once you consider how the tire plays into it though, that offset is not what you think it is:


Let's start by looking at the stock wheel and tire combo:

(225/55/18 +48 offset)
113mm (1/2 section width) + 48mm (offset) = 161mm (tire backspace) = This is the distance from the hub surface to the inner face of the tire, and determines if it clears the suspension components. Let's use this as our benchmark for comparison.

My tire combo (235/65/18 +48 offset)
118mm + 48mm = 166mm = 5mm closer to the suspension components.

GeoJosh's tire combo (235/65/17 +40 offset)
118mm + 40mm = 158mm = 3mm further from the suspension components compared to stock. So you actually have MORE clearance on the suspension than stock. However, you also push the outer face of the tire 13mm out further, which makes it more likely to rub at full lock.

With a 35mm offset and 235mm wide tires:
118mm + 35mm = 153mm = 8mm further from the suspension components compared to stock. This also means you have 82mm of "frontspacing" (distance from the hub surface to the outer face of the tire) vs 64mm with the stock offset. This means you are pushing the outer face of the tire 18mm further out than stock.

Now, none of this takes into account the differences between mounting a 235mm tire on a 7" rim vs an 8" rim (the skinnier rim will "pinch" the tire more, and should be effectively a taller tire, but effectively skinnier compared to the 8" rim.)

I think this is the biggest thing Rim and Tire guys forget about backspacing when they are looking at offsets and wheel width. The wheel backspace still matters as far as clearing steering knuckles and tie rods, etc, but the tire backspace is what matters for clearing the strut and spring perch.
subi-kro likes this.

"Always Modding Something"
Subaru Ambassador
monkeyracer is offline  
post #42 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 10:21 AM
Forum Member
 
Cookie_Monster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Aberdeenshire
Posts: 470
Car Year: 2014
Car Model: XT, RSB, Grill, DRLs
Transmission: Fancy Laggy Band
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New Year soon, once my dedicated 17" 225 60 Nokian WR SUV 3 winters (on old 17 WRX wheels) are off my '14 XT in the Spring, I'll be starting to look at new Tyres for the OEM 18" XT wheels.

As 95% of my driving is twisty engaging Countryside/Mountain Scottish B-Roads with a v small amount of soft offroad tracks and campsites, at the moment I'm leaning towards Continental Cross Contact UHP in a size of 235 55 18 as a good compromise between performance and comfort.

However that said, I do like the look of the GO15 and the fact you could possibly use them well into the shoulder seasons either side of winter, I did notice that they do the more summer orientated GO12 in the stock size of 18 225 55 in the UK, as I seem to remember GeoJosh mentioning most of his driving is onroad with the ATS (=GO12??), so I have to ask how are the GO15s in 18 235 60 on the road, particularly cornering and spirited driving, do they feel secure & responsive?

Thanks in advance... and HNY folks.... :)


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Cookie_Monster; 12-30-2016 at 10:33 AM. Reason: link for Continentals
Cookie_Monster is offline  
post #43 of 80 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member
 
monkeyracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Golden
Posts: 278
Car Year: 2017
Car Model: GMC Canyon AT CCSB
Transmission: 8 speed
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I do feel like the G015's are a little closer to "on the edge" of traction than other tires I've tried in dry weather spirited driving. Full impending lock-up braking for example, I can get the tires to break loose earlier than a more street oriented tire (thus reducing my braking distance) however, still better than the stock Dueler HL 400s. Cornering is tough for me to compare though, since the '17 has active torque vectoring, it turns better than the '15 I had, and I've only had the G015's on the '17. I still feel like they get to the edge of traction sooner than a street all-season.
This is usually the trade off for an all terrain tire though, so I am ok with it.

"Always Modding Something"
Subaru Ambassador
monkeyracer is offline  
post #44 of 80 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 12:54 AM
Forum Member
 
Cookie_Monster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Aberdeenshire
Posts: 470
Car Year: 2014
Car Model: XT, RSB, Grill, DRLs
Transmission: Fancy Laggy Band
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Appreciate that will review them more, got a few months yet to see what else is coming out for the XT wheel sizes. Nokian Z line SUV also being considered.

For any UK readers this is the cheapest I've found them in Blighty.. (Ł113/tyre)

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyr...18-107h-535996
Cookie_Monster is offline  
post #45 of 80 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 12:53 PM
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1
Car Year: 2017
Car Model: 2.5i HFA
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
YES!- The new Geolander AT/015 in 225/65/R17 fit 2017 Foresters.

Hello, All. My first post in here in a VERY long time. I just picked up a 2017 Forester 2.5i HFA. So far I have 400 miles on it and it's everything I expected from Subaru. My last Scubie was a '06 XT/manual. I miss that car...but I digress. I pulled off the stock tires and put on 225/65/17 Geolandar AT/G015's. They fit PERFECTLY! NO rubbing at full lock. The steering feels much more connected to the road with these tires. The road/surface noise is no different then the stock 91's. Maybe a tad bouncier, but it's what I expect from an AT tire. I am very glad I made the changeover to these tires.

Here are some pictures to illustrate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Yokohama Geolandar AT GO15 on '17 HFA - 3.jpg
Views:	2282
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	377233   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yokohama Geolandar AT GO15 on '17 HFA - 2.jpg
Views:	1695
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	377241   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yokohama Geolandar AT GO15 on '17 HFA -1.jpg
Views:	5198
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	377249  
kutavyz likes this.
Bonefish5000 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Wheels and Tires

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 

Title goes here

close
video goes here
description goes here. Read Full Story
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome