TSi+WRX

28Likes

Old 10-29-2013, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2011
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Winter tire/snow tire - who's buying what?

OK, let's see them! who's buying what and what are you paying? anyone buy used? anyone buy from a company that offers lifetime changeover free, if so are they charging you for balancing?

my stock tires were awful last winter and I almost got into a couple accidents. in my neck of the woods with all the SALT :-) they spread I'm dealing with very slippery snowy slush that makes it impossible to steer or stop

rnbcoupons likes this.

Last edited by Rumrunner; 10-29-2013 at 06:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2013, 05:17 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: X
Transmission: 5MT
Just mount the winter tires on separate wheels. Change them yourself. You'll end up saving a lot of $$ and the wheels will pay themselves in 2-3 years.

2008 Forester 2.5X 5MT Newport Blue
Old 10-29-2013, 05:38 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2016
Car Model: Outback and WRX
Transmission: CVT
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumrunner View Post
anyone buy used?
Buying used isn't a completely bad idea, particularly if you're tight-up for up-front money, but there are a couple of things to keep in-mind.

The Bridgestone Blizzak "Studless Ice & Snow" line, designated by the WS-prefix, utilizes a dual layer winter compound, with the top near-magical layer only going about half-way through the tread depth. Finding a lot of "still half useful life left!!!" used WS-series Blizzaks on the market in wintry regions is not uncommon, and while still technically correct, the main use of the tire has already been expended, so you should drive a good, hard bargain.

And while the old myth that winter tires somehow lose their effectiveness when stored for a long time has now been dispelled, what was eye-opening for many of us enthusiasts to see was just how much worse their performance in terms of hydroplane resistance and slushplane resistance becomes - much more, much worrisome than their decrease in snow-moving capabilities.

Quote:
my stock tires were awful last winter and I almost got into a couple accidents. in my neck of the woods with all the ice they spread I'm dealing with very slippery snowy slush that makes it impossible to steer or stop
With slush being an issue and how badly the Michelin Xi3 tested this year with regard to that factor, it's hard to press its recommendation based on such a consideration - however, depending on your mileage needs (i.e. if you'll burn through the Bridgestone WS70's top layer too fast) it may be a compromise that you'll need to live with. The Nokian R2 definitely merits a look, particularly if your pocketbook is healthy.

In your post above, you said "...with all the ice they spread" - I'm going to read that as a typo/mistake, and that you meant to say "salt" or "anti-icing agents," right? If actual *ICE* is your biggest concern, then depending on just how cold it gets in your area as well as road-use legality, studded winter tires may be worth a look.

'16 Outback 2.5i
'16 WRX CVT
7th Subaru family

Old 10-29-2013, 05:51 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2005
Car Model: Impreza RS
Transmission: 4EAT (sob)
I'll find a picture of mine later, but my dad put the snow tires on last year and we haven't changed them yet, so I drove on them all through the summer too. Was very weird at first when the snow disappeared and I definitely noticed a difference in handling/braking, especially as my brakes aren't the greatest, but they're not too worn out yet (the tires OR the brakes!). :P

RIP 01 Forester S
91 Legacy LS
07 Honda Accord
Old 10-29-2013, 05:55 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: Forester XT MT Lim
Transmission: 5 Speed
I just went with Blizzaks and steel wheels from Tire rack. Looked around a little for wheels at the salvage yards, none, and all in all $777 delivered.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:59 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2017
Car Model: Limited
I leave the stock tires on year round, I have found that if I can't get out of my driveway with them, I should not be out. Usually the roads around me are good as I live on a school bus route. They plow my residential side street probably 7 times during a storm. Been driving Subies since 2000 the same way, stock all-season tires. No trouble so far, knock wood.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:34 AM
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: 2.0XT Limited
I switch wheels/tires for winter. I'm using steel wheels because the ice, snow and SALT play h**l on the wheels. If I want a "look" I can get my pick of cheap wheel covers at the local hardware store. I'm not skimping on the tires though. Lots of accidents/deaths on my regular run so safety is important. I've ordered Toyo Observe GSi 5's. Very well rated for Canadian Winters. Wheels and rims will cost me $1200 CDN at OK Tire (includes mounting, balancing and free rotations). We pay significantly more for tires than you do south of the border.

Last edited by lwerring; 11-16-2013 at 04:18 AM. Reason: Actual price was much lower than the estimate.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:40 AM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Foresty View Post
I'll find a picture of mine later, but my dad put the snow tires on last year and we haven't changed them yet, so I drove on them all through the summer too. Was very weird at first when the snow disappeared and I definitely noticed a difference in handling/braking, especially as my brakes aren't the greatest, but they're not too worn out yet (the tires OR the brakes!). :P
^ Some of the winter tires will wear quite nicely, even when it's warm out. Typically, "Studless Ice & Snow" tires - usually the softest compounds - will wear the most drastically, but both "Performance Winters" and "traditional" studdable winter tires often are on harder compounds (for quite different reasons, of-course), and can handle the rigors of year-round use much better.

But just because you didn't see much wear and that the 95%-performance/handling traits were not much affected doesn't necessarily mean that the tires will offer you with the same level of performance under clear summer conditions as they will in the winter. Modern tires are quite durable and typically cause very progressive breakaway at the edges, but this doesn't meant that they're not big compromises when conditions are not what one would expect. Look back at the 2009 test of four cross-genre/sub-genre Michelin tires, and look at the raw data.

Be careful if you do intend to "run-out" your winter tires.

----

Quote:
Originally Posted by valvestem View Post
I leave the stock tires on year round, I have found that if I can't get out of my driveway with them, I should not be out. Usually the roads around me are good as I live on a school bus route. They plow my residential side street probably 7 times during a storm. Been driving Subies since 2000 the same way, stock all-season tires. No trouble so far, knock wood.

^ And that's a smart way to do it! Knowing one's limitations is always the better part of the battle.

Even with proper-for conditions tires on the vehicle, one's still not immune from the laws of physics. Know your limitations.

'16 Outback 2.5i
'16 WRX CVT
7th Subaru family
Old 10-29-2013, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

personally I'm leaning toward a tire that has bigger voids like the firestone winter force. they are ugly as heck and the gas mileage will suffer, but I got some used for wifey last year and they were great on her front wheel drive toyota matrix. I figure the bigger voids will help with the deep slush massachusetts likes to mix up for our driving pleasure.

I've looked at the high performance winter tires but they are very expensive, even used.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:27 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester 2.5iPremium
Transmission: 6sp Manual
I picked up some Yokohama IG51V's for my '14. Its the light truck/SUV version of the IG20s. I believe it is a 2012 model which is being phased out at the moment but can be had for a good price at discount tire. The "bubble" cell technology of the tire seemed intriguing and it was made for the canadian market. I'm reading good things about not only snow traction, but also decent wet weather and cold weather dry traction as well as durability.

I decided to use the OEM wheels for my winters and plastidip them for some added corrosion resistance, and I'll admit it, changing the color sounds kind of fun.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:34 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2013
Car Model: forester 2.5X
Transmission: automatic
Smile

I went with a winter tire/wheel package from TireRack last November. General Altimax Arctic 215-65/R16 on steel rims with the TPMS sensors and road hazard. $932 with shipping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040551.jpg
Views:	6353
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	103042   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040555.jpg
Views:	8725
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	103050   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1060709.jpg
Views:	1407
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	103058  
Old 10-29-2013, 07:49 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester 2.5iPremium
Transmission: 6sp Manual
Here are some helpful tire evaluation results that ToNIX posted in another thread:

http://i.imgur.com/5vmQ2tk.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/fPYj19l.jpg

As expected, Nokian Hakka's seems to be king in the winter department.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:23 AM
Forum Member

^ That's a great resource, but remember to try to take it all in - every resource has its faults, and with the PMC evaluation, the first thing that comes to mind is why are studded tires evaluated directly alongside non-studded tires. Additionally, testing conditions (given what we know about the performance differential between studded and "Studless Ice & Snow" winter tires as based on temperatures) as well as quantified raw data are not known. The latter, especially, is important given that without it, we do not know what the scale of separation is, despite a points-rating system.

Other resources should include Consumer Reports, ADAC, NAF, TestWorld, AutoReview, ZaRulem, AutoZeitung, and auto motor und sport, just to name a few popular and highly regarded overseas tests.

Each test can reveal certain traits of the tires - for example, it wasn't until the recent AutoReview test ( ) that we realized just how poorly the Xi3 resisted slushplaning.

'16 Outback 2.5i
'16 WRX CVT
7th Subaru family
Old 10-29-2013, 11:29 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Impreza Premium 2.0
Transmission: AT w/ Manual Mode
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 215/65/17 on my base steel rims (I have a summer set) tires + shipping from TireRack came to $515. A local shop will mount and balance for $40. Les Schwab doesn't charge to swap out summer/winter tires.

SJ's SJ
'14 2.5i Ice Silver
Old 10-29-2013, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

seeing some decent used snows already on rims but they come from other cars. how can I tell if their wheel fits my 2011 sub? just seeing 5 bolts isn't enough ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Wheels and Tires