('03-'05) Tire size help for 6 speed swapped Forester - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 05
Car Model: FXT, LGT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tire size help for 6 speed swapped Forester

I could use a little bit of help/opinion on selecting the correct tire size. As stated in the title, this Forester has been 6 speed swapped, and it's what I'd call the full swap. The entire suspension is from an '06 STI. I bought some WRX STI wheels and the rubber on there is 235/45/17, which I'm assuming was the stock size for some generation of WRX STI. I'm not exactly certain what model year WRX STI the wheels came from. That size looks pretty alright to me.

The rubber on the wheels is pretty well shot. It's a set of Yokohama Advans. So I need new tires. I'm not worried about fitment per se because there's quite a bit of space. I'm more worried about them looking right.

I probably should post some pictures to see what people think, but I was wondering if I should step up to 235/50/17 or 235/55/17 if either of those are real sizes. I'm less worried about the speedometer being accurate. There's just too many variables in that from the stock Forester cluster to the 6 speed speed sensor output that I'm not sure where that would all stand on accuracy anyway.

Any thoughts?

I'll post pictures tonight.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 12:49 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 1998
Car Model: forester
I'd honestly stick with the forester spec tires sizes unless you're fine deviating a bit.

The higher, the fewer.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 05:31 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

It looks like the stock size for a 2005 Forester XT is 215/60R16. Obviously I can't use that size. 235 width tires look really good on the wheels I have, so based on the tire size calculator, it looks like 235/50R17 seems to be the right size to go for to keep the original radius. That is 1" larger diameter than the STI sized tires. I have to do a little measuring to make sure I have that 1/2" won't hit the springs. I suspect I'm fine.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 05:35 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Here's what the Forester looks like on the 235/45/17 tires. I think it probably right that the 235/50R17 tires will look nice. Downside is that size costs a smidge more than the 235/45/17. :(
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	forester-wheels.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	511641  
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 06:00 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 1998
Car Model: forester
Right, I wish I could put 235/50/17 on my sf but the wheels' offset preclude me from going that wide. If that size tire can fit yours, that'd be a good size to go with.

The higher, the fewer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Wheels and Tires

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode