Subaru OEM wheels that fit the Forester - Page 43 - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

52Likes

post #631 of 639 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 06:38 PM
スーパー モデレーター

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: Forester Sports XT
Transmission: 4EAT
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by frijoles View Post
Im wondering if this is the place.
I bought the wrx 2002-2003 16" wheels +55 for my 08 fxt. The oem for the 08 fxt sport is 48+.

The narrowing made my car feel finicky during turns, so would 7mm spacers help? Would it just lead it back to stock load onto bearings? or would 7mm be too much and load the bearings leading to early bearing failure? ... well early as in 190k worth of wheel bearing early.. Haha
The smaller wheel offset number would stress the bearing more than that +55. Installing a 7mm spacer just places the wheel back to the stock +48. It's not going to place any more stress on the wheel bearing than the stock wheel without a spacer.

One thing to keep in mind. The wheels bearings are known to fail, even with the stock offset wheels!

I seem to recall that there's a maximum spacer thickness, before it's advisable to install longer studs?

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

'07 FSXT - COBB Surgeline dyno stock Protune - Stage 1+
'03 X +AVO turbo kit = XT (son's)
'95 Neon Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 639 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 07:34 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 1998
Car Model: forester
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
I seem to recall that there's a maximum spacer thickness, before it's advisable to install longer studs?
I think it's 3mm on oem length studs.

The higher, the fewer.
post #633 of 639 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 08:11 PM
スーパー モデレーター

@subaru3169 looking at discussion on this thread: Wheel spacers? It appears 3mm is acceptable. Some say 5mm is doable, but others say no. No way you could run 7mm spacers without longer studs.

Bobby...

'95 Neon Sport

post #634 of 639 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 09:35 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: Forester XT Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.5x_sleeper View Post
The smaller wheel offset number would stress the bearing more than that +55. Installing a 7mm spacer just places the wheel back to the stock +48. It's not going to place any more stress on the wheel bearing than the stock wheel without a spacer.

One thing to keep in mind. The wheels bearings are known to fail, even with the stock offset wheels!

Bobby...

sweet thanks.
how would smaller offset increase wheel bearing stress? I was thinking less due to the leverage arm shortening. just wondering the mechanics.

7mm is a lot..
post #635 of 639 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 08:22 AM
スーパー モデレーター

@frijoles the stock offset is +48. A larger offset number moves the tire/wheel inward towards the suspension... like that +55 offset. A smaller offset number, like +40, +42... what we have on our Foresters, moves the tire/wheel outward towards the fender. This will put more stress on the wheel bearings, which are know to fail even at the stock offset.

As to the +55 offset with a 7mm spacer. you will need to install longer studs to get enough threads for the lug nuts.

Bobby...

frijoles likes this.

'95 Neon Sport
post #636 of 639 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 06:26 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: Forester XT Sport
oh yea, so i was understanding.

Thanks!
post #637 of 639 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 07:21 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 04
Car Model: Forester XT
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake Moore View Post
okay.... so long shot, but I looked through this whole thread and found a few people mentioning that I might need 3mm spacers in the rear only for these 17x8 et+53 2013 stock wrx wheels I just bought with 235/45/17's. I have stock brakes. Upgrading my stock suspension on my 04 FXT to JDM FSTi Bilstein struts tomorrow (Christmas in May) and just bought these today for a bargain, curious if anyone can confirm i need spacers or not.

Thanks in advance!

Okay, so yes, I can CONFIRM that the '13 WRX 17X8 +53 DO need spacers when running a 235/45 tire IN THE REAR ONLY, I ordered 3mm hoping that would be enough and am going to give that a shot today or tomorrow.

I had no fitment issues in the front, but the back rubbed right away.

Last edited by Blake Moore; 05-27-2019 at 09:05 AM.
post #638 of 639 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 03:30 AM
New User

Hey guys.. Wanted to add to this post since I did use it to find out what other factory wheels will fit my sister's 2002 forester.

But I couldn't really find if the 2018/2019 Crosstrek premium wheels fit or not..

She originally had 15x6.5 (+45ish?) Subaru HUBCAPS with 205/70/15.. Beat tires and just ugly.

And the Crosstrek wheels/tires are 18x7.5 +55 with 225/55/18.. I took a chance if they would fit or not and just purchased from someone locally..

But luckily.. They fit.. No spacers.. Only thing I needed to do was shave off a tiny edge of the front lower control arm bushing bracket with an angle grinder.

The tears were very very close.. Within a credit card clearance!..but it is a static part that came that close.. So if it doesn't touch.. It won't.

I tested it out by driving up to ~75mph..doing fast circles.. Hitting bumps..reverse etc..

I will probably get some decent spacers for the rear to make them sit flush.. But these were pretty much bolt on! Cleared everything Lock-to-Lock. Very close.. But it all works out perfectly.

Honestly.. I thought they were pretty ugly at first.. But once they were mounted on the car.. They look to be aftermarket wheels and look great!

Wanted as much sidewall as possible.. And yes the OD is slightly larger with the new setup.. And making the speedo read about 3mph slower.. But it's fine

So..

Vehicle: 2002 Forester

Wheels are from :
2018/2019 Subaru Crosstrek Premium
Wheel:18x7.5
Offset: +55
Hub and bore: 5x100, 56.1mm bore
Tires: 225/55/18 Falken Zeix.

Modifications required:
-Slight trim on lower control arm bracket edge.. Basically just chamfer off the sharp corner.. It does not effect anything structural or safety wise.

Other than that.. Bolt ON.

hopefully I can get these pics uploaded

Hope this can help someone else.
post #639 of 639 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 11:30 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2017
Car Model: forester
Not sure if it was posted but here's the 2018 Crosstrek wheels on my SJ. Straight takeoffs so the tires are 225/60/17

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
HeyChris and 2cam16 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Wheels and Tires

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode