• 1 Post By DockingPilot
  • 1 Post By David J

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: Forester
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
rapid tire wear

I purchased a new 2015 Forester in the spring of 2015. At 29,000 miles i had to replace the first set of tires, the replacement tires (Kelly Edge with an estimated life of 55,000 miles) are now below 2/32 of an inch with the mileage at 49,000 miles. The wear is relatively even on all 4 tires; I rotated them a few months ago.
Why would the tires wear so quickly. I 've never had tires wear so quickly. I tend to suspect the CVT transmission.

Has anyone else had rapid tire wear like this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 08:41 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2017
Car Model: Forester Touring
Transmission: CVT
No. In fact my 14' I had on lease with 53k on the clock was turned in and accepted with the original tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SEÑOR SUBARU likes this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 08:47 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2016
Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
If you have never had your alignment checked, you should. A little bit of toe in on the front can take the life away faster than it should.
If it has been a while since you last had it checked, you could have knocked it out of whack a little over time.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 12:19 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: 2.0 XT Touring
My 2016 came with Bridgestone Dueler HL 400's from the manufacturer. I'm just shy of 20K and they are in poor shape. Switching out for Yokohama Geolander A/T-S this week.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 12:46 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Foz
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfratchye3 View Post
I 've never had tires wear so quickly. I tend to suspect the CVT transmission.
Do you have any reason why you would suspect the transmission?

Accelerated tire wear is almost always due to alignment or aggressive driving.

Other possible things are bent suspension components or too much play in the suspension. (which also affect alignment either static or running).
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 06:33 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Foz 2.5i
Garage
I got about 60k on a set of BFG Long Trail T/A Tours and they were still way above the wear bars. I then put about 25k on a set of Continental Control Contact Tours (Discount Tire house version of True Contact) and killed a tire with a bolt thru the tread edge. They were worn from an original depth of 11/32 to about 9/32, so I'm guessing I could have gone 80k+ miles on them. I got a credit for the 3 good tires and warranty on the 4th and got some Michelin Defender LTX M/S's which I've only got 10k miles on but anticipate will go 80k--prior generations of these tires were on my full size Ford E150 van and lasted 65k or more miles.

The Kelly Edges look like a decent budget tire but the UTQG wear rating is 500--I think the Continentals have a wear rating of 800. First place I found some specs on the Internet had a report of 20k mile wearout on a Buick Rendezvous. Buy higher end name brand tires and you will note a difference. Look at Tire Rack and Consumer Reports reviews.

Good luck,
George

NEW '17 Prem w/Eyesight
'09 FX 5MT sold to son
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 01:17 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester
Rapid Tire Wear

This is my first Subaru. I purchased a new 2016 Subaru Forester in August of 2015 from the local Subaru dealer in Ann Arbor, MI. I currently have 47,760 miles on the vehicle and I am on my second set of tires. My first set of tires, Bridgestone tires that were on the car when purchased were wore out at 21,500 miles. I replaced these tires with Micheline Defenders - 90K mileage warranty. I took my car in for service today and was told I only had 3/32 of thread left on my rear tires and 6/32 left on my front tires. This was after the dealer rotated the tires. So, it looks as though I will not get much more than approximately 30,000 mies on a pair of tires that is guaranteed for 90K.

When I mentioned the premature tire wear to the service representative at the dealer he looked at me as if he had never heard of this before. I cannot believe I am the only one experiencing this excessive tire wear.

I Know how I drive and I am not one who would be characterized as a driver who puts excess wear on tires by poor driving habits. If alignment issues are the problem then I would have to say the car came to me that way as a new vehicle.
Sandy Hoover likes this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 02:38 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: Forester Premium
contact Michellin. send pictures. you should have had them registered when you bought them. They are veery responsive. I contacted them with what I felt was quick wear. They started a file on me. I just wanted an opinion from a pro. However. I did it my self. :)

I have Premiers. I will get 40K miles out of them. But I drive them hard. Fine tire. Will probably get more in the future.

Dealer guys don't want tom deal with that. Michellin. :)
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 04:16 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester 2.5i (Base)
I would think alignment issues would show up in the form of wear patterns...inside or outside wear?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Don't judge me for buying the base model :)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 03:30 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2018
Car Model: Crosstrek
The first thing I look to causing premature wear is under-inflation. Make sure your tire gauge is reasonably accurate. Adding two or three PSI above the recommendations on the door sticker can do wonders for tire longevity. Do your recommended tire rotations.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 04:38 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester 2.5i Tour
49k out of a 55k tire.. i dont think thats too bad at 90% of the treadlife..

im not great on rotations on tires.. But i would be happy it got that close.. If that life was 80k and I only got 49k i would be more upset..

Especially with even tread wear..

Brian
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 05:55 PM
New User

I bought a new 2016 Forester. My first tires lasted 13000 miles and were bald on back. I found another 2016 Forester owner who had the same issue and bought his two front tires. I drove for another 10,000 miles and put new snow tires on the car. In the Spring of 2017, I bought another set of summer/all weather tires and used them for the next year. I used my winter tires from Oct-May of 2018. I bought a new set of tires in June of 2018 and just had to replace them in June of 2019. I have 70,000 miles on my car and can't even begin to imagine if my car was dropped on it's head coming off the truck or what. The wear is even and I have had the car aligned. I feel like I should buy stock in the tire company. Anyone else have this problem????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Wheels and Tires

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode