('09-'13) 215/70x16's on an '09... - Page 3 - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

post #31 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 09:23 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: Forester X Touring
Transmission: 5M
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I go fishing/hunting or camping nearly every weekend and there is about 70km of old off road to get there and +-250km to get there..ok % are completly off.. I must admit but..it's a old hunting cabin.

I don't use the car most of the week has I bike to work and use the buss during winter..I still use it for hauling groceries and stuff but most of the time it goes mild off roading for a good 70km

But I do a lot of long drive on old gravel/mud and sometimes flooded roads.. +- 2 feets of water in some sections when the winter end.

And what do you guy's think of "run flat" tires? Has the rim I will run have this capability.

I was mostly looking at the 27.7" General Grabber AT2 but was wondering on bigger size..I guess I should keep my first choise and run 27.7 to make sure there is no issue.

The 15" Team Dinamics Pro Rally 1 rim clear WRX brakes and I have tested them on the car already they clear no problems now it's just a mather of selecting the tire..

thanks for the info

38 offset bring the wheel inside so for sure he would have problem when doing complete lock turns or it hit the spring perch..

I think that setup with 215/75/15 Grabber AT2 will be my selection..

Still looking for more information on tire selection that have the "Run Flat" capacity and that are good On/Off road in that size.

Any input on Run Flat tire would be great..or I could start a specific thread on this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 09:30 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Forester 2.5X
What year is your car?

TrailAngel
2010 2.5X 5MT
post #33 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2017
Car Model: Foz 2.5i
Transmission: CVT
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by neuro123 View Post
I go fishing/hunting or camping nearly every weekend and there is about 70km of old off road to get there and +-250km to get there..ok % are completly off.. I must admit but..it's a old hunting cabin.

I don't use the car most of the week has I bike to work and use the buss during winter..I still use it for hauling groceries and stuff but most of the time it goes mild off roading for a good 70km

But I do a lot of long drive on old gravel/mud and sometimes flooded roads.. +- 2 feets of water in some sections when the winter end.

And what do you guy's think of "run flat" tires? Has the rim I will run have this capability.

I was mostly looking at the 27.7" General Grabber AT2 but was wondering on bigger size..I guess I should keep my first choise and run 27.7 to make sure there is no issue.

The 15" Team Dinamics Pro Rally 1 rim clear WRX brakes and I have tested them on the car already they clear no problems now it's just a mather of selecting the tire..

thanks for the info

38 offset bring the wheel inside so for sure he would have problem when doing complete lock turns or it hit the spring perch..

I think that setup with 215/75/15 Grabber AT2 will be my selection..

Still looking for more information on tire selection that have the "Run Flat" capacity and that are good On/Off road in that size.

Any input on Run Flat tire would be great..or I could start a specific thread on this.
Neuro has an '09 or '10--I looked at his profile. Hey Neuro, put your year and body style in your posting footer so it's clear to everyone what you're talking about.

38 mm wheel offset means the wheel sticks further outward than the stocker. The stock Impreza/WRX wheels are 53 mm, I believe, which sets the wheels further inward.

Staying under 28" diameter in a 215 width with a wheel offset very close to stock is a sure thing in terms of fit, and the Grabbers or Yoko AT/S's sound like they would be a good compromise (the BFG A/T is a C load range tire, not a passenger tire at all). Another choice might be the Toyo Open Country A/T which is surprisingly light in a 215/70x16 (not sure about 15" sizes).

Actually, if you are concerned about ultimate durability, the BFG A/T's are probably going to have a thicker, heavier sidewall to prevent damage from sharp rocks, etc.

Run flat tires are really heavy, really expensive, and really rare so far as I know. They are not going to be available in a variety of styles--I have never heard of an all terrain run flat. My only knowledge about them is that BMW uses them, and most owners eventually remove them and go with standard tires because of the replacement cost, balance problems, etc. If you anticipate having tire damage, I would go with the BFG A/T's and would also get a full size spare with the same size tire on it. Not sure what the largest tire that will fit in the spare tire well is, though. The BFG A/T will be the worst for ride and gas mileage, probably, but for off road it is a classic. If you need to serious mud, you might even look for a mud terrain tire. Actually the General is a similar tread but probably has thinner sidewalls if it's a P rated tire and not a load range C.

2 feet of water is going to be a problem for a lot of bearings and stuff. Go spend some time in the off road forum for discussion of that kind of stuff. And start another thread on run flats if you want to go further with that, but I'd do some Googling first to see if it's even viable.

Good luck,
George

NEW '17 Prem w/Eyesight
'09 FX 5MT sold to son

post #34 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 11:02 AM
Forum Member

I'm still considering Yoko ATS in 215/65/16 as the speed rating is H.
I.... myself, would not drive through 2 ft of water in my own car.

TrailAngel
2010 2.5X 5MT
post #35 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 12:47 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester X Touring
Transmission: 5M
I always nose stap a plastic camping blue tarp in front of the car when going in water... Hopefully this help.

hUMM I add in my mind that the 2009 were 16x6 with a offset of 38 rims will have to re-verify
Everything was calculated using this..

http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp?...&text1=&text2=

Thanks for the input same here I did search alot for run flat tires and could only find high performance tires.. no need for slicks in the mud lol

Thanks for the input on the offset I was completly wrong thanks for pointing this out.

Will end up with the Grabber AT2 in 215/75/15 it will end up being 0.7" more of ground clearance and will get a spare (by the time I should have the roof basket and the spare will go on the roof)

Will be posting pictures when everything will be done.. early next spring gona ride stock for the winter and save some $ for the roof & tires.

Last edited by neuro123; 11-04-2010 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Could be thinking of the wrong OEM rim size and offset..
post #36 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailangel View Post
I'm still considering Yoko ATS in 215/65/16 as the speed rating is H.
I.... myself, would not drive through 2 ft of water in my own car.
But you do drive over 118 mph?

T speed rating is fine for my Foz...

George

NEW '17 Prem w/Eyesight
'09 FX 5MT sold to son
post #37 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 08:37 AM
Forum Member

The more I look around.. the more I see this may be tire tire for me....rugged street tire that works good on gravel roads....

TrailAngel
2010 2.5X 5MT
post #38 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 07:45 AM
Forum Member

What are your thoughts on the BFG Long Trails vs. same size Goodyear Wranglers? I have Wranglers on my Jeep [natch] and love them.

2010 Forester 2.5X 5MT
post #39 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaru View Post
What are your thoughts on the BFG Long Trails vs. same size Goodyear Wranglers? I have Wranglers on my Jeep [natch] and love them.
I haven't experienced Goodyear Wranglers but Wranglers in general seem to score pretty low in tirerack's surveys. The other question is "which Wranglers?" The OEM Wranglers on Jeeps suck pretty badly from everything I know, but if you replaced them with a different style, they may be better rated tires. What Jeep? Liberty or something else?

My wife's Honda Civic had OEM Goodyear RS-A's on it as OEM tires and they both scored very low on tirerack's surveys and sucked in real life; we changed them out for Michelin Primacy MXV4's and the car felt like it cost $10k more in terms of ride and handling.

If you try the Wranglers on your Foz, report back.

George

NEW '17 Prem w/Eyesight
'09 FX 5MT sold to son
post #40 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 03:35 PM
Forum Member

I ended up going with the BFG Long Trail T/A Tours, 215/70x16, as you recommended. Love them. They look ridiculously better. Thanks for the recommendation, George.

2010 Forester 2.5X 5MT
post #41 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaru View Post
I ended up going with the BFG Long Trail T/A Tours, 215/70x16, as you recommended. Love them. They look ridiculously better. Thanks for the recommendation, George.
Glad you like them. Mine have 28k miles on them and are barely worn, so they're gonna last you a LONG time. They are not the most aggressive tires you could get, but give a great road ride and I've been through 2 Michigan winters with mine.

And yeah, the look is definitely more "SUV" like than the OEM Bridgestones. You can park next to a Ford Escape without quite so much of the "pumpkin on a roller skate" look... IMO, they have a great "just right" factor for the Foz if you're not shooting to be an autocrosser or a hard core off-roader.

Good luck,
George

NEW '17 Prem w/Eyesight
'09 FX 5MT sold to son

Last edited by YoGeorge; 12-14-2010 at 06:45 PM.
post #42 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 07:35 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: 2.5X EJ253
Transmission: Manual
Garage
How are the BFG Long Trails in the snow and ice? I was going to put on a set of 215/70-16 dedicated winter tires, but now I'm wondering if the Long Trails might be a decent year around compromise. I have a base 2009 2.5X like yours, 5-speed, wheel covers, Dark Gray Metallic paint. The stock duelers almost got me in an accident a couple times in the recent winter storm we had here.

2009 2.5X, Dark Gray

post #43 of 53 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Ranger View Post
How are the BFG Long Trails in the snow and ice? I was going to put on a set of 215/70-16 dedicated winter tires, but now I'm wondering if the Long Trails might be a decent year around compromise. I have a base 2009 2.5X like yours, 5-speed, wheel covers, Dark Gray Metallic paint. The stock duelers almost got me in an accident a couple times in the recent winter storm we had here.
I have 28k miles on mine and have been through 2 full Michigan winters with them, and just parked in a snowbank last night at a friend's party and got out just fine.

I am asbsolutely certain that dedicated winter tires, with a stickier compound, would be much better on ice, but the Long Trail TA Tours do quite well on the Forester in just about all snow conditions I've experienced. On glare ice, it comes down to the stickiness of the rubber on the ice. There are a lot of biting edges in the tread if you look at some pictures of the tires, more horizontal siping than the Bridgestones, and much more blocky stuff happening on the edges of the tires, so if there is anything on the surface of snow or ice to be gripped, there is more on the tire to grip it.

If you look at Tirerack's reviews, the Bridgestones get abysmal scores--including their snow/ice ratings, whereas the BFG's are pretty good. I think the BFG survey results also get polluted by reviews on the previous Long Trail (non tour) which was not as good on the snow/ice. This tire is a totally new design as of 2008, and actually has a lot of similarity to the Michelin MXV4 tires (I've had 3 sets of these in different generations on different cars including a set of Primacy MXV4's on my wife's '07 Civic right now and love them) but with more blocky stuff happening.

As a compromise tire, especially for the price and their apparent longevity, I have been absolutely satisfied with the Long Trail TA Tours. It really looks like I'm gonna get 60-80k miles out of them. And I like the way they ride (quite quiet and smooth) and look.

George

NEW '17 Prem w/Eyesight
'09 FX 5MT sold to son

Last edited by YoGeorge; 12-19-2010 at 07:36 AM.
post #44 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 09:55 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester
YoGeorge thanks for making this post it helped meto decide my choice of tires the pics help to. I just got the same BFG for mine got them mounted today and so far what a big difference these tires make Fozzy rides alot better and smoother and these tires are great on Forestry roads (gravel and dirt and even red clay and sand they work well in all of those so thanks man They look good on my Fozzy with the Subtle Lift kit i already have on. Plus the tires lifted it about another inch. So im Satisfied

Subie forester
post #45 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Garage
Hey Madmax....glad they are working for you. They seem like a natural choice for the Foz in a lot of ways. Here's to a lot of safe and happy miles for ya,

George

NEW '17 Prem w/Eyesight
'09 FX 5MT sold to son
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Wheels and Tires

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode