Forum Member

Car Year: 2017
Car Model: Foz 2.5i
Transmission: CVT
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
215/70x16's on an '09...

Hey all:
I've had my '09 FX since April, about 9200 miles on it. It has the 16" wheels with the slightly yukky hubcaps, but this was meant to be a low budget FX (and it does have a stick).

There was really *nothing* major wrong with the OEM Bridgestones, but they weren't that good at anything either...and the biggest problem was the foot-wide gaps in the wheelwells...kind of that "pumpkin on a roller skate" look...

So anyway, courtesy of my friends at Discount Tire, I got a little trade-in credit and a very good price on some new BFG Long Trail T/A Tours in the 215/70x16" size. And I had them mounted with the white letters out. I was looking at stuff like 235/60x16 Primacies or Hydroedges, but the last thing I need right now, with Michigan winter approaching, is a set of steamroller tires. (And I have a '91 BMW 318is for hotrodding around curves anyway.)

The new T/A Tours are pretty streetish tires but with a lot of blocks and siping for snow, and they look good IMO. (First set of BFG T/A's I bought was back in 1979, for my old 1978 Ford stepside pickup.) I would have liked the Michelin LTX M/S's, but the price premium for this particular size is nuts. And if I get onto a funky campground access road or something, I'm guessing the BFG's will do a lot better than the stockers or the steamroller options.

I may get a set of alloy wheels next year, and maybe mount some steamroller 235/60's on them for summer...or maybe not, depending on how the finances go (I'm retired with a kid in college, but am working a nice contract job for the time being.)

Anyway, clearances are fine--as close as we get is about 1/2" at the lower front edge of the rear wheel well. And so far, handling or noise does not seem to have suffered. And there is LESS WHEEL GAP, thank God...

I had them mount the white letters outside, and it gives the Foz that "toy SUV look", but that's not all bad in my aged eyes. At least they're not narrow white walls :) Some day I may switch them to blackwalls, particularly if I put these tires on some alloy wheels.

The Foz happened to be clean, so the red looks pretty nice...

George

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010610 (Medium).JPG
Views:	1746
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	14918   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010611 (Medium).JPG
Views:	2839
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	14919   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010616 (Medium).JPG
Views:	2023
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	14920  

NEW '17 Prem w/Eyesight
'09 FX 5MT sold to son
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 07:17 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: Forester XT MT
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
White lettering makes it look a lot more rugged. The tire size looks great - looks how it should look in my opinion.

2004 Forester XT 5sp stg 2
PSM - Platinum Silver Metalic
Just a couple a mods
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 11:16 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 09
Car Model: Forester Limited
Looks great and should last forever. I was told that the Long Trail T/As had a very hard tread compound. They may not be optimum in the rain although the tread design looks OK. Best of luck and be sure to let us know how they work out in the long run.

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-21-2008, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 106rr View Post
Looks great and should last forever. I was told that the Long Trail T/As had a very hard tread compound. They may not be optimum in the rain although the tread design looks OK. Best of luck and be sure to let us know how they work out in the long run.
For what it's worth, these are the new Long Trail T/A *Tour* tires, which are a relatively new design (April '08 introduction), so there aren't a ton of test reports yet available. Looks like there is more siping than the old Long Trail T/A's, and they are a symmetrical tread, so I can turn the blackwall side out in the future if I decide to. I'm on my 2nd set of Michelin LTX M/S's on my Ford van (they were OEM tires on the '02 E150 van) and although those are probably similarly hard rubber, I've been very happy with them in all seasons. I'm hoping that these Long Trail Tours are gonna be similar.

So far, they are really nice on the road, and doing sharp turns up my parking garage ramps, they don't seem to "scrub" the pavement at all; hopefully this is a good sign for their long term wear.

And despite the diameter increase being only .9", they look *so* much better to me. They give the Foz more of a "tough stance" look, like a Ford Escape or something. Tread is definitely wider than the old 215/65 Bridgestones. They are heavier tires (30 lbs vs 23 lbs), and feel more "solid" when hitting protruding sewer covers, but still very well damped...bit more of a "truck tire" design, and that's what I was after.

George

NEW '17 Prem w/Eyesight
'09 FX 5MT sold to son
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 06:19 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester X touring
I think im going to be putting BFG all terrain T/A ko's on my 09X MT in the 215/70/16 size. We just got snow up here in northern ontario this week and the stock bridgestone dueler HT's are comlete crap in snow, slippen and sliding everywhere, abs coming on everytime you touch the bakes. so the 215/70r/16 dont rub anywhere?

09 X Touring 5 MT - DGM
Grabber AT2's
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 07:04 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: none
Car Model: none
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Nice choice, good all around choice for a more truck like tire. One of my professors has them on his truck and they've worked out pretty well.
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Garage
I think you'll be fine with AT T/A's....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09xtouring View Post
I think im going to be putting BFG all terrain T/A ko's on my 09X MT in the 215/70/16 size. We just got snow up here in northern ontario this week and the stock bridgestone dueler HT's are comlete crap in snow, slippen and sliding everywhere, abs coming on everytime you touch the bakes. so the 215/70r/16 dont rub anywhere?
I believe their diameter is listed as 28" instead of my 27.87". They may have more squared-off tread corners but I don't have any real close areas on the tread corners. They would look pretty cool, too. But they are VERY expensive, at least in Michigan.

One concern with something as tough as the AT T/A ko's is that you are moving to a 35 lb C-rated tire from a 23-lb tough car type tire, so I'm guessing that you will have a much harder ride (and bring out more rattles); I also think they'll take a more noticeable toll in gas mileage. I think both the Grabber AT2 and Yoko AT/S are available in 215/70 size and will be more streetable (and somewhat cheaper). Also choices like the Toyo Open Country A/T--which is surprisingly light from what I recall in the 215/70 size.

Hey, let us know if you do choose the BFG's, though, and post some pics! Good luck making it through winter...last year was a bit tough here in Michigan, so Northern Ontario had to be much tougher yet. I didn't have a Subaru last year, either.

George

NEW '17 Prem w/Eyesight
'09 FX 5MT sold to son

Last edited by YoGeorge; 11-22-2008 at 08:19 AM.
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 01:29 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester X touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoGeorge View Post
I believe their diameter is listed as 28" instead of my 27.87". They may have more squared-off tread corners but I don't have any real close areas on the tread corners. They would look pretty cool, too. But they are VERY expensive, at least in Michigan.

One concern with something as tough as the AT T/A ko's is that you are moving to a 35 lb C-rated tire from a 23-lb tough car type tire, so I'm guessing that you will have a much harder ride (and bring out more rattles); I also think they'll take a more noticeable toll in gas mileage. I think both the Grabber AT2 and Yoko AT/S are available in 215/70 size and will be more streetable (and somewhat cheaper). Also choices like the Toyo Open Country A/T--which is surprisingly light from what I recall in the 215/70 size.

Hey, let us know if you do choose the BFG's, though, and post some pics! Good luck making it through winter...last year was a bit tough here in Michigan, so Northern Ontario had to be much tougher yet. I didn't have a Subaru last year, either.

George
Decided against the BFG`s and ordered some grabber AT2's in 215/65/16 should be here in a day or 2, will post pics when they are on.

09 X Touring 5 MT - DGM
Grabber AT2's
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09xtouring View Post
Decided against the BFG`s and ordered some grabber AT2's in 215/65/16 should be here in a day or 2, will post pics when they are on.
Good choice--the BFG's are likely overkill for the Foz with their mass--but they'd be the tires you wanted if you were going on a serious off-road journey. (But they are really expensive too.)

I think the Generals come in a 215/70 but the 215/65's should be great; the gnarly tread will make them look bigger and tougher than the stockers for sure.

George

NEW '17 Prem w/Eyesight
'09 FX 5MT sold to son
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 05:24 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: 2.5X EJ253
Transmission: Manual
Garage
The OE Dueler's aren't the best for sure, but Tirerack.com does list them with light truck tires when applying that filter, so they're not really passenger car tires, which is good.

However, I really like the look of those BFG's, Yo.

2009 2.5X, Dark Gray

post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Garage
The Duelers weren't *that* bad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Ranger View Post
The OE Dueler's aren't the best for sure, but Tirerack.com does list them with light truck tires when applying that filter, so they're not really passenger car tires, which is good.

However, I really like the look of those BFG's, Yo.
If you read my posts above, I called the Dueler a car *type* tire because I'm aware it is designed for light SUV apps--they are OEM on some Toyota Highlanders, and I think some other stuff like that. But they are kind of car-designed with a narrow tread, and a very "weak" shoulder (which contributes to their light weight and good performance in accel and braking). (Dueler name is for B'stone's truck tires--car tires are Potenza/Turanza.)

The BFG all terrains are designed for HEAVY trucks--which is why they're all load range C, D, and E tires. Even the Michelin LTX M/S (which I would have bought in a second had they not been $60 EACH more than the Long Trails that I did buy) are more designed for light to medium trucks.

The new Long Trail Tour tire (mine) is designed for roadgoing SUV's, but they do come in larger sizes and are more of a "square shoulder" looking tire, with the tread blocks outlined on the edge--psychologically gives them a "grippier" look and accentuates their circumference. And they are T speed rated (Bridgestones were actually H's).

One new tire that looks really promising is the Michelin Latitude Tours. These are newly OEM tires on the new Ford Escape and were part of the reason for an EPA mileage increase in that vehicle. I was looking at the 235/60x16, but they just started importing the 215/65x16, and that is gonna be the BEST tire for a roadgoing Foz in theory (OEM on the Tiguan, I think, in that size). But they cost big bucks and aren't quite as gnarly or as gnarly looking as the Long Trail T/A Tours I got. Not many reviews out there on my tires as yet, but I'll tell ya what happened after a Michigan winter on 'em...especially if it's as snowy as last year was.

George

NEW '17 Prem w/Eyesight
'09 FX 5MT sold to son
post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 11:20 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Forester
with 215/70/16 the tire is narrower... Not sure that is good... I want just a bit more out and a bit tall. The hankook seems to make the optimo H418. I want a regular all season tire. I am in Cali. I would want a optimo H727 but they do not make it in 225/65

2010 Toyora Corolla LE auto Capri Sea Metallic
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 10:34 AM
Fast & Dirty

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: 4 speed auto
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
sweet tires.

I hope they make them in 17's

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 10:40 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Forester
I just got a set of BFG Long Trail TA on my 2010 Forester, following YoGeorge's plan. Looks great and feels a lot better since its a little higher off the ground.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tires.jpg
Views:	3890
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	27113  
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBar View Post
I just got a set of BFG Long Trail TA on my 2010 Forester, following YoGeorge's plan. Looks great and feels a lot better since its a little higher off the ground.
Lookin' good, Terry!

I've been running mine at about 35 lbs front, 34 rear, and like I said, they are wearing like iron after 27k miles. IMO these are a great deal on a US made tire. Mine took very little weight to balance, and they are smooth and stable in all conditions.

I'm hoping that you find them quieter, since that was an issue for you as well. Like I said, I never found the stock Bridgestones to be very loud, but the BFG's are definitely quiet for a CUV type tire and look a little "tougher" on the Foz, which I also like. And the slightly taller size fills the wheel wells just a bit more... The stockers looked really puny when I parked next to a Ford Escape (and I LIKE the hunky tires on the Escape), whereas the BFG's look *almost* as big.

I am also jealous of your alloy wheels :) Mine is a base X, before they had the special edition package available with the 16" alloys.

Good luck,
George

NEW '17 Prem w/Eyesight
'09 FX 5MT sold to son

Last edited by YoGeorge; 11-01-2010 at 10:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Wheels and Tires

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode