('19+) 2019 Sport - Correct Tire Pressure? - Page 2 - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

21Likes

post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 07:52 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2019
Car Model: Forester Sport
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Anyone notice the tire pressure displayed on dash is wrong?
On my '19 Forester tire readings displayed on the dash for each tire is always about 4-6 PSI lower than the actual tire pressure. I have two digital tire pressure gauges that read the same pressure value so I believe that over the displayed pressure on the dash.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 03:11 AM
Forum Member

[QUOTE=Yoda_One;7551933]Source?/QUOTE]

You remind me of someone who either can't read, don't believe what they read or you are a democrat.lol

Google this and you'd get 100 sources saying it's true and just as many saying it's untrue. So take your pick and have a nice day.

post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 05:42 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: CVT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForesterBill View Post
Glad to hear that Costco does it right. BTW, those roasted chickens are a loss leader to the tune of $34M per year!
Costco doesn't always do it right.

Bought tires at Costco last year. TPMS light came on during my short drive home. Checked the tire pressure when I got home and all four tires were severely underinflated, around 18 to 22 PSI in each. Fortunately I have an air compressor and was able to refill the tires but had to use normal air that contains "only" 78% nitrogen (the horror) .
Lessoned learned. Check your tire pressure after all tire services (new tires, balance, rotation or whatever). Over the years I have had a couple of incidents where my tires were severely overinflated by 10+ psi (not at Costco).

And no, I don't buy in to the nitrogen inflated tires thing, especially for the typical passenger car tire as IMHO the benefits, if any, are extremely minute. But, that's another subject for another day.......
May303 likes this.

Last edited by Valk97; 06-20-2019 at 05:48 AM.

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 07:15 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by titleman View Post
You remind me of someone who either can't read, don't believe what they read or you are a democrat.lol

Google this and you'd get 100 sources saying it's true and just as many saying it's untrue. So take your pick and have a nice day.
So, whatís wrong with asking for supporting evidence of a claim? Do you believe everything you read on the Internet?

And, while weíre at it... what does political sarcasm have to do with the subject?
May303 likes this.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 07:31 AM
Forum Member

No I don't believe everthing I read on the Internet but it's hard to give you supporting evidence with the use of the net. Like I said, look it up and make up your own mind.

Last edited by Kevin; 06-20-2019 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Unnecessary use of Quote
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 09:58 AM
Forum Member

[quote=titleman;7553447]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelineFreddie View Post

No I don't believe everthing I read on the Internet but it's hard to give you supporting evidence with the use of the net. Like I said, look it up and make up your own mind.
Since I live in upstate SC, where Michelin has its NA headquarters, Im fortunate to know a few engineers that work for them in the tire manufacturing areas.

Iíve heard this argument about OEM tires being different than aftermarket tires for some years now, so Iíve gone to the source to find out what they say about it.

The consensus that Iíve gotten from asking them:

Auto manufacturers did indeed often have tires manufactured specifically to vehicle maker specifications. However, the same tire manufacturer make/model and sized tire, whether OEM or bought as replacements later, use the very same specifications. Thatís why you can read tire reviews (ie., Tirerack.com) for a specific make/model tire that, depending on specific size, can give wide mileage variations and service levels.

So, for example, even though the tread pattern is the same, a 185/65R15 size in a particular make/model tire might give very different ride and wear results than the same tire in a 205/60R16.

I donít have any engineering document copies to prove/disprove this, but it makes sense (at least to me).
Yoda_One and May303 like this.
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 12:46 PM
Forum Member

[quote=FelineFreddie;7553537]
Quote:
Originally Posted by titleman View Post

..... but it makes sense (at least to me).....
There you go

I see I nailed it eh.

Last edited by titleman; 06-20-2019 at 03:28 PM.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 02:01 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Touring with Eyesigh
OEM tire size equates to the Manufacturer's replacement. Then it is the same tire with the same specifications which as stated no difference for set vehicle.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 02:38 PM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda_One View Post
OEM tire size equates to the Manufacturer's replacement. Then it is the same tire with the same specifications which as stated no difference for set vehicle.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul
If that wasnít the case, and OEM same-model/manufacturer/sized tires were different that the tires being sold by tire dealers... can you imagine the field day lawyers would have suing tire manufacturers, claiming no consumer could possibly ever know what the actual product was being purchased?
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 02:56 PM
Administrator
Contributing Member

Car Year: MY03
Car Model: XS Premium / Luxury
Transmission: 4EAT w/diff lock
Costco gas posts moved here: https://www.subaruforester.org/vbull...er-gas-802491/

Peja likes this.

MY'03 XS AT offroad; MY10 Triton GLX-R
MY'97 Outback RIP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 08:30 PM
Contributing Member

Car Model: Forester Sport
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForesterBill View Post
Glad to hear that Costco does it right. BTW, those roasted chickens are a loss leader to the tune of $34M per year!
Yup, it works. I often go for the chicken and I still walk out with 10 items in teh basket and it costs $100. Damn it!

Hotdogs must be a loss leader too. I dont know how they can sell a dog and giant coke for a buck fifty.

Cheers,
Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Wheels and Tires

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode