User Tag List

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: '06
Car Model: '06 2.5XT | '10 2.5X
Transmission: Manual
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wobbly Over Bumps

Over the winter I hit a rather large branch with my wife's 2010 2.5x. All it did was crack the grill, bust up a headlight and dent the hood. I was able to get a headlight and hood at a local salvage yard, and I used it as an excuse to get her the sports mesh grill. I have since noticed though that her car is very wobbly when it hits any bumps it feels like serious body roll and when on the highway at around 65-70 mph the steering wheel is a bit shaky. I recently had the car aligned and the wheels balanced, but it didn't seem to fix the issue. I went underneath and looked at the front and rear sway bar, the end links, and the bushings. They all look and felt okay. I didn't have the car raised up, but everything seemed okay. Is there anything else that I should look at? Should I look into replacing the front struts, any other suspension things I should be looking at?

Edit: After reading a little more it seems as though the likely cause is the suspension. Is there a way I could tell if it where the front or the back, or should I replace all of them? I would just be getting the full assembly as I don't want to mess with springs. Is there any recommended brands? I am not looking to lower or raise the car, I am thinking the monroe ones would be fine, all though for the cost of them (if I were to do all 4) is pretty steep, is there anything else worth looking into. Thanks!

Thanks!

Last edited by dkash; 04-28-2019 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Read more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 06:12 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Forester XS
Transmission: 4-AT
The SH forester seems to be very floaty, boaty. You could upgrade to polyurethane bushings on the control arms. I've just installed sti arms with poly bushes and it has improved handling tremendously. You can also look at replacing the rear sway bar as well. I've upgraded from stock 16 mm to sti 20 mm rear. I've also done the whiteline rear diff inserts as well.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 06:41 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2001
Car Model: Forester
Garage
Check the front wheels for debris that may be stuck on rims. I had steering wheel shake under 2 different circumstances: grease from CV joints(boots broken) stuck to the rim caused the wheels to be unbalanced. The 2nd situation is a bit harder and more obscure to determine. It was caused by damaged hub. This showed up as a slight vibration at high speeds, the steering wheel would have a slight wiggle left to right. But it was more pronounced when I used the brakes. This was hard to diagnose because everyone kept on saying I had warped rotors and insisted on changing pads and rotors, which were replaced twice and did not fix the issue. In the end this was resolved by replacing the front hubs, as well as replacing wheel bearings.

Also take a look at the control arm bushings, by using a pry bar to see if they are loose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Suspension and Handling

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode