User Tag List

post #1 of 148 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: XT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Talking Update on MeganRacing Coilovers for SF/SG

Great, but not done yet.

History: Current MR CO's are for 02-04 WRX and work great but start with a 3" drop and go lower from there . I'm working w/ MR to test a longer strut body that will allow zero drop. I'd like a range from +1" to -3".

Update: Steve sends me a the prototype set. I installed them and there just a tad short. He sent a set 2" longer than the WRX's and we need 4". New strut bodies are on the way.

Jeff 06'FXT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 148 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 08:26 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Transmission: Auto
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Keep us posted

Jeff,

Thanks for the update, please keep us posted. It will be nice to have a coilover that's actually vehicle specific and affordable available.

Thanks,

DC

post #3 of 148 (permalink) Old 05-13-2006, 09:54 PM
Contributing Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs up

That would be a nice. I love my MR coilovers, and probbably wouldn't want to raise the car any, but it would a be a nice option for those who need more ground clearance.

Aaron
04 FXTi 4EAT

post #4 of 148 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 05:35 AM
twg
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: FXT
What kind of dampening adjustability are there ?

Can the stiffness go from STOCK to stiff... or is it STIFF to stiffer ? I like the former...

2004 FXT
post #5 of 148 (permalink) Old 05-14-2006, 06:28 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twg
What kind of dampening adjustability are there ?

Can the stiffness go from STOCK to stiff... or is it STIFF to stiffer ? I like the former...
Yes there is damping adjustability. It's not independent (DA or Dual Adjustable) for conpression and rebound. A single adjustment changes both. Each brand is different, MR has 32 clicks, a click=half turn on the knob. I can adjust my setup from Hard for track/ax allowing very little movement. To Soft, allowing the springs to dictate the ride.

The strut/shock and spring combo work as a system to create what you call "stock or stiff". Working with springs three times as stiff as stock you adjust damping so it's not bouncy for daily driving and crank it harder from there for aggressive/Solo/Track. There will always be a minimum damping setting for each springrate. Is it stock, no.

I will be testing different springrates. I like the 8k/6k (447/335) setup for Solo/Track and could live with it if I was twenty years younger and kept the car on the street. I've purchased a set of 375/275 springs and might try some progressive coils 175/450F & 150/350R.

Steve at MR stated that changing springrates was OK as long as you keep the difference f/r within 2K (112lbs). Also all coilovers have a reduced total distance that the strut piston can move. Too soft a spring/damping setup would put you on the bumpstops:wtfeyes .

I need to find the happy medium to have a softer (then 8k/6k) daily driver and car capable of not being on the bumpstops when loaded up w/ bikes n camping gear.

Jeff 06'FXT
post #6 of 148 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 06:55 AM
Mexican Lorider
Contributing Member

Car Model: FXT 5MT
Waiting...somewhat patiently. ;-)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 148 (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMan
Waiting...somewhat patiently. ;-)
I'm not. I'm running without a good alignment since installing the prototypes. I'm fixn to take a tape and strings out to set toe as my tires are scrubbing bigtime.:-x Steve @ Megan Racing has been great and said he will rush the new struts my way.

I've had the prototypes installed for over a week now. I love the extra height (not bumping my head on the open rear hatch or stepping down out of the drivers seat) and the next prototypes will be stock height and probably an inch taller.

I just received my 150/375 progressive coils from Bluecoil. There is plenty room and the smaller coil size could almost fit down beside the tire with my 245.17's but even with the 10" coil length the collars will be above the tire.

I still have not decided on my front swaybar. I'll start a thread to discuss how anti-sway bars of different sizes allow the front open differential to spin when one wheel lifts. Most angle parking lot entrances make for a spinning wheel and chirp when it comes down:thumbsdown: . If I go from the Strano to a Whiteline or Cobb will it be just as bad combined with the Cobb rsb?

Jeff 06'FXT
post #8 of 148 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 02:47 PM
Chromer

FWIW, with stiffer springs you'll be able to get away with smaller bars because the springs and increased low-speed damping are going to increase your roll stiffness quite a bit. Maybe even try going back to stock at first and see how it is.

post #9 of 148 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromer
FWIW, with stiffer springs you'll be able to get away with smaller bars because the springs and increased low-speed damping are going to increase your roll stiffness quite a bit. Maybe even try going back to stock at first and see how it is.
Spot-on comment, thanks

Sure Chromer, with springs twice as stiff I could go w/o anti-sway bars like the STI guy on NASIOC who solo's at the national level. Once I get the new struts from Megan Racing I'll wrap up that effort and start on the correct bars. After two decades of autocross I think I'll struggle with wanting flat cornering and the needed corner extension of mild offroading. Offroad capability is important. I don't mind lifting a corner once in a while, but to much would really suck. I could disconnect the endlinks for the most serious stuff, the Strano I think would hit the control arm bracket, I might need to disconnect both sides:thumbsdown: .

Never a problem, just an opportunity .

Jeff 06'FXT

Last edited by wagn; 05-22-2006 at 04:04 PM.
post #10 of 148 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 01:59 PM
Chromer

Megan/Kartboy: Next project... Quick/remote disconnect endlinks. :devil:

post #11 of 148 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 10:35 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 13
Car Model: Work Boot
Transmission: Do it yourself
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
These are my next purchase...got a time frame?
Question...
If I do get the ones for the WRX and put them at the highest level, is the vehicle still slammed? I would be ok if it was at the level of the STi spring and strut setup at the MR highest level...
Thanks
Nick

Positive Pressure Research and Development &
Peculiar Mollusks
post #12 of 148 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 11:14 AM
Mexican Lorider
Contributing Member

Car Model: FXT 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil XT
If I do get the ones for the WRX and put them at the highest level, is the vehicle still slammed? I would be ok if it was at the level of the STi spring and strut setup at the MR highest level...
Thanks
Nick
You'll be fine. Here is a pic of wagn's FXT with the MR's at their highest level.

I can't wait. My WRX MR's will be in the next couple of hours. :-)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 148 (permalink) Old 05-26-2006, 02:31 PM
Forum Member

Perfect!!!!!!
Im not waiting..ha!

Peculiar Mollusks
post #14 of 148 (permalink) Old 05-27-2006, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

No waiting needed if the drop is no problem for you. PM me if you want to know where I bought mine for under $900. I liked the look, not slammed but not high. Then I added up what I lost and what I gained. If I could get the same good things but with the ground clearance I wanted that would be great. Since the MR strut bodies are threaded the whole way, it easily could be adjusted way low. I'll check the limits when they arrive, soon I hope. Also the spring rates kinda go with a slammed car, you expect a lowered car to hurt your kidneys.

Jeff 06'FXT
post #15 of 148 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 06:58 PM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagn
Great, but not done yet.

History: Current MR CO's are for 02-04 WRX and work great but start with a 3" drop and go lower from there.
You say that the MR coilovers drop the Forester 3 inches from the highest point. This picture is definately less than a three inch drop...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMan
You'll be fine. Here is a pic of wagn's FXT with the MR's at their highest level.

I can't wait. My WRX MR's will be in the next couple of hours. :-)

Peculiar Mollusks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Suspension and Handling

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode