How to turn better than an STI for cheap! - Page 4 - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

11Likes

post #46 of 491 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 06:19 AM
Forum Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
wadejg, you wrote that "The 2005+ STI struts can be made to work, but it isnít likely worth the effort. The STI struts are fancy inverted struts."

do you know what is required to make them work on an 04 xt?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 491 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: FXTi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by eman View Post
wadejg, you wrote that "The 2005+ STI struts can be made to work, but it isnít likely worth the effort. The STI struts are fancy inverted struts."

do you know what is required to make them work on an 04 xt?
The person to talk with is Tom at Kartboy. He actually used the later struts on his FXT. He even had pictures on the old sf.com site. The problem is the knuckle mounting points and widths are different so the original holes need to be welded and new ones drilled. Also, spacers to fill the extra "width" will be needed. (the mouth knuckle of mounting points were wider- just think longer bolts were needed to bolt them to the knuckles).

Regards,
Justin Wade
2004 FXTi

post #48 of 491 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuquad View Post
EDITED: K, never mind. Just using '04 USDM STi on the FXT struts is not a good idea I see (after reading this thread a bit better). I'll try and pick up some '04 STi struts as well.

Does anyone here have any experience with the Tein S-techs for the FXT? I know they aren't the greatest springs in the world (having heard much about them from the Impreza crowd). But I was thinking maybe they'd be OK for short term. Thoughts?
Thanks for not making me answer the first question again

As for the S-techs, I'd stick with the opinion from the impreza crowd since we just drive a tall impreza. Short term, fine, but I'd just leave it stock until it is done right.

Regards,
Justin Wade
2004 FXTi

post #49 of 491 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 03:11 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: XT
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadejg View Post
Thanks for not making me answer the first question again

As for the S-techs, I'd stick with the opinion from the impreza crowd since we just drive a tall impreza. Short term, fine, but I'd just leave it stock until it is done right.
Hey man, anytime! It was late so it took me a while to catch up.

Got a line on some '04 STi struts (and still have my stock STi springs for them). Also been offered some '06's which I hear will also work with some modification. I think I'd rather go with the '04's though.

Thanks for the info in this thread and on this forum in general. One thing I can say about the Forester community so far is it seems a lot more mature and supportive, especially when it comes to advice. Right on!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| '05 STi | '07 STi
post #50 of 491 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

Quote:
Got a line on some '04 STi struts (and still have my stock STi springs for them). Also been offered some '06's which I hear will also work with some modification. I think I'd rather go with the '04's though.

Thanks for the info in this thread and on this forum in general. One thing I can say about the Forester community so far is it seems a lot more mature and supportive, especially when it comes to advice. Right on!
Thanks for the compliments. Happy to help out. It took a couple of years for us regulars to figure all this "simple" stuff out so it just makes sense to pass it on.

Stick with the '04 struts. The '06 isn't worth the hassle, unless your really handy with a welding and fabrication, and want a project to tackle.

Regards,
Justin Wade
2004 FXTi
post #51 of 491 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 07:30 AM
Forum Member

Garage
Quote:
Thanks for the compliments. Happy to help out. It took a couple of years for us regulars to figure all this "simple" stuff out so it just makes sense to pass it on.

Stick with the '04 struts. The '06 isn't worth the hassle, unless your really handy with a welding and fabrication, and want a project to tackle.

Regards,
Justin Wade
2004 FXTi
Roger that; '06 didn't sound like a viable option IMO. I will definitely go with some '04's. There is a local guy that rebuilds them and can actually eliminate the standard STi strut clunk. So I'm getting a set of his.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| '05 STi | '07 STi
post #52 of 491 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 07:38 AM
Forum Member

yeah, wadejg thanks for the quick response! i dont think i'll be getting 05+ sti setup. to much work...
post #53 of 491 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 03:24 PM
Got a quiet car? No? Contact me :-)
Contributing Member

Car Year: 96
Car Model: Tacoma
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I have some Progress 04 STI coilovers for sale:):)

Rick

post #54 of 491 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 02:38 PM
Forum Member

Garage
Quick question...

I recently put '04 STi struts w/ Eibach Pro springs, an '04 STi rear sway (including all necessary items listed above) and '04 STi end links on my FXT. Do I also need to do lateral link upgrades in order to not break anything?

Sorry again if the answer is spelled out here and I missed it. I just want to make sure I don';t need to do anything else seeing as how all the other mods are already on the car and I may already be taking a risk driving it this way...

| '05 STi | '07 STi
post #55 of 491 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

Quote:
Quick question...

I recently put '04 STi struts w/ Eibach Pro springs, an '04 STi rear sway (including all necessary items listed above) and '04 STi end links on my FXT. Do I also need to do lateral link upgrades in order to not break anything?
Eventually what will happen is that the end link bracket will break off the lateral link. This will make it so that your swaybar stops working. You would be wise to upgrade the lateral links.

And FYI, the STI endlinks are the same as the FXT endlinks (same part number).

Regards,
Justin Wade
2004 FXTi

post #56 of 491 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 02:58 PM
Forum Member

Garage
Quote:
Eventually what will happen is that the end link bracket will break off the lateral link. This will make it so that your swaybar stops working. You would be wise to upgrade the lateral links.

And FYI, the STI endlinks are the same as the FXT endlinks (same part number).

Regards,
Justin Wade
2004 FXTi
Ahhh... so just "upgrading" to stock STi lat links isn't really an upgrade. UPGRADED (after market) STi lat links are the way to go, then. Super, I better get on that.

Thanks again for the insight!

| '05 STi | '07 STi
post #57 of 491 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 03:09 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: FXTs
I think you're confusing end links and lateral links.

There is a tab on the lateral link that the end links mount on and this will break with a large sway bar. Therefore you will need to upgrade your lateral links. The STi stock lateral link is an upgrade over the Forester as it has two tabs instead of one so you will be ok with a larger sway bar (provided it's not a gimongous bar). If you want even stronger or you want adjustable lateral links then you would need aftermarket lateral links.

However, the end links between the STi and Forester are the same so it's best to go aftermarket for those if you are getting a larger sway bar.

RIP 98 Accord
04 STi, 07 FXT
post #58 of 491 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 03:37 PM
Forum Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by filbert View Post
I think you're confusing end links and lateral links.

There is a tab on the lateral link that the end links mount on and this will break with a large sway bar. Therefore you will need to upgrade your lateral links. The STi stock lateral link is an upgrade over the Forester as it has two tabs instead of one so you will be ok with a larger sway bar (provided it's not a gimongous bar). If you want even stronger or you want adjustable lateral links then you would need aftermarket lateral links.

However, the end links between the STi and Forester are the same so it's best to go aftermarket for those if you are getting a larger sway bar.
I was definitely confused in regards to the differences between various makes of lateral and end links, but not lateral vs. end links as a general statement. That much I understand.

This info answers my questions nicely, though. Since I am running the stock (20mm) '04 STi rear sway, I'll see what I can do about at least getting my hands on some stock '04 STi lateral links and upgrade my end links. Maybe I'll upgrade the lat links as well while I am at it (instead of STi lat links). And get yet ANOTHER alignment.

I wonder how much more possible these types of break-ages are on a lowered FXT in comparison to lowering any vehicle. I imagine it stresses parts out no matter what.

In the mean time, I'll just hope I don't break anything. ;) Thanks!

| '05 STi | '07 STi
post #59 of 491 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 04:14 PM
Contributing Member

Car Year: '09
Car Model: STI
I was on stock lateral and endlinks w/Impreza struts. No problems FWIW.

I am now running STP lateral links w/stock endlinks now but just for the upgraded bushings which I didn't really notice any difference from FWthat'sW...

'09 STI
post #60 of 491 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 05:22 PM
Forum Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NahdaDamdyke View Post
I was on stock lateral and endlinks w/Impreza struts. No problems FWIW.

I am now running STP lateral links w/stock endlinks now but just for the upgraded bushings which I didn't really notice any difference from FWthat'sW...
Interesting experience. How long did you run that set up before you upgraded, though? I think the take-home point is that they will break EVENTUALLY (at least, that's what I'm taking from all this). But I don't think I wanna wait for it to happen.

| '05 STi | '07 STi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Suspension and Handling

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode