('09-'13) Cusco Touring A Struts (JDM) Now Available Stateside - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

25Likes

post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Subaru XT
Transmission: 4EAT
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cusco Touring A Struts (JDM) Now Available Stateside

I just happened to be checking out Primitive's site for SH parts and saw they have these in stock.

CUSCO Touring A Struts SH Forester '09-13 - Primitive Racing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 01:30 PM
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2011
Car Model: XT Touring
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Nice!! Now, theres an option for each avenue.

Lowering, use the wrx konis.
Stay somewhat same height, or same height, use the Cuscos.

Thanks for sharing. It'll be nice to see someone actually jump on them!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

305WHP/360WTQ
Instagram: @FXTerrific
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 02:50 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: FXT Limited
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Interesting. I wonder how much Primitive has tested these.
FXTerrific likes this.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

Garage
@GTEASER
Curious as well I am sure regardless of what application they will be used they are far superior compared to an OEM/KYB strut setup. If I didnt plan on getting Hotbits/ADF coilovers soon I would be all over this. The price is not bad at all IMHO.
FXTerrific and GTEASER like this.

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTEASER View Post
Interesting. I wonder how much Primitive has tested these.
So you going to get these or what! ;)

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 11:23 AM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fozroamer View Post
So you going to get these or what! ;)
Most likely not, they are pretty pricey and I don't have the spare funds to experiment. I don't need oodles of ground clearance. I'm actually half way done with collecting all the parts necessary to do a Koni/King Springs build with top hat spacers using WRX spec parts. That will get me about an inch higher than I am right now for light off road and gravel/dirt forest road duty, while maintaining the road manners I require. 90% of my driving is around town and highway. Plus, as much as I would love something really lifted and capable, I just don't envision myself driving something like that around all day. I'm kinda going for a gravel rally build. Lower than stock, but still with some suspension travel and a beefy A/T tire and taught suspension look.
fozroamer likes this.

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 10:16 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2013
Car Model: Forester XT
Quote:
Most likely not, they are pretty pricey and I don't have the spare funds to experiment. I don't need oodles of ground clearance. I'm actually half way done with collecting all the parts necessary to do a Koni/King Springs build with top hat spacers using WRX spec parts. That will get me about an inch higher than I am right now for light off road and gravel/dirt forest road duty, while maintaining the road manners I require. 90% of my driving is around town and highway. Plus, as much as I would love something really lifted and capable, I just don't envision myself driving something like that around all day. I'm kinda going for a gravel rally build. Lower than stock, but still with some suspension travel and a beefy A/T tire and taught suspension look.
GTEASER, are you planning on purchasing the standard King springs or the lifted springs? Your plans are what I've been looking into as well. I'm assuming you're buying the fully assembled Koni struts...

Thanks

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 11:38 AM
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Garage
why would you two go with the king springs and tophat spacers, over the GC idea? not poking...just wondering. purely based on cost comparisons vs custom specs, etc.

305WHP/360WTQ
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 11:43 AM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STIdarkside View Post
GTEASER, are you planning on purchasing the standard King springs or the lifted springs? Your plans are what I've been looking into as well. I'm assuming you're buying the fully assembled Koni struts...

Thanks
In the front I'm using Koni inserts with 11-14 WRX donor struts and standard WRX King springs. The difference in spring perch height will net me a ride height gain of +5/8" and the springs should add a little, maybe 3/8". I will retain my 1" top hat spacer in the front. I want to run A/T tires that are a slightly larger than stock diameter and if I were to use the full Koni 08-10 struts, the fronts will just barely clear the spring perch with a stock tire diameter, and that wont work with an oversized tire, so I need the spring perch to be 5/8" higher, thus the 11-14 donors with inserts.

In the rear I will probably have to add a 3/4" top hat spacer to the 1" I'm currently running, or just swap over to the steel ADF 2" lift spacer. But I may need a custom tophat spacer from ADF made to a particular height to level it out, it will depend on the resultant small amount of lift caused by the springs.

Last edited by GTEASER; 12-20-2017 at 12:13 PM.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

Garage
Quote:
I just don't envision myself driving something like that around all day..

This is why I have a 2017 Leggy. My foz rests in the garage on a daily basis unless Im on a trip or out messing around.

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 01:46 PM
Forum Member

Cusco Touring A Struts (JDM) Now Available Stateside

Haha! My garage queen is a 2012 Legacy GT, last year of the turbo Leggy and only 227 USDM models made. I bought and daily the FXT for the purpose of preserving her.

COSubieLuv likes this.

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Contributing Member

Garage
@GTEASER So funny! Such a clean Leggy!! Damn!! I have the one people get confused for a Ford Fusion but i love it! hhaha
GTEASER likes this.

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 09:08 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by FXTerrific View Post
why would you two go with the king springs and tophat spacers, over the GC idea? not poking...just wondering. purely based on cost comparisons vs custom specs, etc.
The Koni/King combo has the potential to be a simple plug and play spring/strut combo that's easy on the wallet.

From what overs have told me, the price of the Koni/GC setup is quite a bit more (granted the number I got was for a fully assembled kit). At that point I'd rather buy Mann Engineering Coilovers with a proper spring setup similar to CruzinRain.

The biggest issue I have with anything WRX related is the lower spring perch and the high potential of rubbing. Can't believe no one has 11-14 specific WRX struts on the market.
FXTerrific and GTEASER like this.

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 05:14 AM
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by STIdarkside View Post
The Koni/King combo has the potential to be a simple plug and play spring/strut combo that's easy on the wallet.

From what overs have told me, the price of the Koni/GC setup is quite a bit more (granted the number I got was for a fully assembled kit). At that point I'd rather buy Mann Engineering Coilovers with a proper spring setup similar to CruzinRain.
if it helps anyone, on price. i had only been asking as it seems the price on King springs, vs GC spring setup, is about same $440-450. plus the koni strut youre pairing it with. my setup was a little more, because i wanted to add to it some. but for a basic spring on strut combo..they run the same price. and anyone that can put a spring on a strut, can put the GC setup on a strut.

it would be nice if you could just buy a 2011-14 koni front, and we could be done with it already, hahah.

305WHP/360WTQ
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 07:55 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 13
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Just stumbled on this. These Cusco adjustable struts are plug and play for SH's? It's very tempting, but I don't want to drop a G and be disappointed! I know Primitive is geared towards off road, but I wonder how these would work with performance springs.

I'm seriously intrigued. Finally a plug and play strut for the SH. Rebound and compression adjust together Also works with Cuscos fancy econ box. You can adjust the struts from in the cabin.

http://www.cuscousainc.com/downloads...sion_guide.pdf

This could be what I've been waiting for! I wonder about durability. One year warranty...
HeyChris likes this.

'05 XT 5 spd VF - SOLD
'13 XT Touring

Last edited by Galager; 03-30-2018 at 08:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Suspension and Handling

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode