('14-'18) How many miles should I expect out of rotors? - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

5Likes

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2016
Car Model: Forester Limited
Transmission: CVT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How many miles should I expect out of rotors?

My rotors are down to 20% after 50k miles. Is this within the expected range of miles?

I brake later- harder than most. 50-50 highway-city driving. 10% dirt roads 90% pavement. Im in the Boston area, bu I don't tailgate!
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 07:07 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 1998
Car Model: forester
Rotor and pad life depend on how much you actually use the brakes, not so much the mileage so it's kind of hard to designate it like that. They're wear items, so you simply just go by their condition. How are you certain the rotors are down to 20%?

Personally, I just make sure my rotors are not warped and see if they can be resurfaced; then just slap some new pads on when the time comes. If they're bad, then I would get a new set of rotors along with pads.

CoolMike likes this.

The higher, the fewer.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 07:14 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2005
Car Model: Forester 2.5X RWD
Transmission: JDM 6mt
That sounds right on target for wear, with your driving description.
Check thickness versus minimum on the rotors. If they can be turned, do it. If not pick up some new centric rotors and expect the same life out of them.

sleepstate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 07:51 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: 2.5XT Limited
Transmission: 4EAT
50K out of a set of pads/rotors is pretty good no matter the vehicle these days. Personally I don't see any value in turning rotors anymore. Between the time it takes to remove them, take them to the machine shop, wait, pick them up, and then slap them back, then hope that big Bob did a proper job resurfacing them. How much is your time worth? How much are you actually going to save dollar wise? Just replace all rotors and pads, do a proper bed-in procedure and call it a day. You'll be worry free for another 50K plus. Just one man's .02
Lockheed and subiesubieDOOO like this.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 09:11 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2005
Car Model: Forester 2.5X RWD
Transmission: JDM 6mt
^^ this guy does have a point

I may be lucky to have a store 10 minutes from the house that does rotors for $15 each while I wait (or get lunch). My last trip there was with the Brembo rotors ($$$) so I saved a good chunk of change.

But it is all relative depending on cost vs. time vs. convenience

sleepstate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 12:43 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2018
Car Model: SJ Forester 2.5i Ltd
My 2010 Forester still had the factory rotors after 8 years, 197k miles and two brake pad changes. Never had a rotor problem but I'm pretty easy on brakes and often used the sport shift for engine braking while driving downhill in the mountains.

2018 2.5i Ltd FB25 CVT; 2010 2.5X Ltd EJ253 4AT
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 03:18 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2019
Car Model: Forester Sport
Transmission: Lineartronic® CVT
Garage
Your rotor and pad life both depend on your habits & usage, speeds, roadways, traffic, loads you carry. 50K miles on rotors is pitiful based on my experience, I got longer than that even on any of my 14 assigned police cars in a 31 year career, but I knew guys who were plain "hell on brakes".

...and do have a Safe Trip!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 03:26 PM
admin

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: XT
Transmission: 4EAT
Garage
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Those are police car spec brakes. We don't have that option unless we upgrade to something like Brembos. My wife has destroyed OEM 98 Forester brakes in less than 20k of downtown Atlanta driving several times.

His...

Hers...19 Outback Limited 3.6R
Our daughter...07 OB
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 05:07 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 1998
Car Model: forester
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperRu View Post
Those are police car spec brakes. We don't have that option unless we upgrade to something like Brembos. My wife has destroyed OEM 98 Forester brakes in less than 20k of downtown Atlanta driving several times.
Exactly. If there were a lot of stop and go like in any downtown area, the life will decrease dramatically because of high usage.

The higher, the fewer.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 07:14 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2019
Car Model: Forester Sport
Transmission: Lineartronic® CVT
Garage
Police car brakes used same rotors, pads were more aggressive however, and often in a day's work, involved a few stops from over 100 mph.

I learned to anticipate needs to"stay off them brakes". Let air resistance, space, time slow you too.

Besides, no police car brakes on any of my POVs, and except for a '73 Mustang, I never needed to replace POV rotors. That Mustang was a car I had in the '70s, turned rotors twice at least, but they would warp again. Finally bought new at NAPA, then in time, sold car.

I even usually don't use OD unless down grades or flatter highways. Take Rt 8 from Christiansburg to Floyd, no need or use of OD at all.

...and do have a Safe Trip!
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 07:21 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2016
Car Model: Subaru Forester
I got 37k out my brakes. Mostly suburban driving. Front brakes could have gone a bit longer. The rears needed to be done immediately. At least brake work on these cars is pretty easy.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 05:23 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2001
Car Model: Forester
Garage
On my MY01, I got nearly 150,000 miles on the rear rotors, and maybe 125,000 out of the front rotors, probably would have gotten more if I did not have other front end issues.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 07:34 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester
Transmission: Manual
Garage
Here in NY, rotors usually rust up after 3 or 4 years. I don't think I've ever worn a rotor thin, just they get rusty and start eating pads or causing the car to shake

2018 Forester 2.5i 6MT
20mm RSB, Hitch
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 03:21 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester 2.5 Touring
After 30k miles on our 2018 Touring Edition, my rotors look absolutely fine, front and back. And the front pads are at half-life, according to the Subaru dealership. However, they tell me our rears pads are toast, and have to be replaced in the next few months.

They also want to replace the rotors while doing so, which seems unnecessary. Asking $426 for rear rotors and pads and labor. That's nuts.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 03:34 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: Forester Premium
I had the rear pads and rotors done at 37K at about that price.

I use the brakes harder and more frequently driving in the metro Boston area. Going from 75 to 30 on 128 has to be tough on them. 😉
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Brakes