• 1 Post By Snow3d

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
New User

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: Legacy 2.5i
Transmission: 2.5i (4Cyl)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Brake Pad needs Computer Reset??

SHORT VERSION: Is there a computer that needs to be reset when I change my brake pads?

I recently got new tires installed and was told that my brakes need to also be replaced and was asked if I wanted the mechanic to replace the brakes. Having replaced brakes on my previous car, I declined and said I'd handle it myself as I'd done with my previous car. Immediately the mechanic said "You do know that you need to reset the computer when you install new brakes, right?"
I ignored the statement continued walking, with the mindset that mechanics (at chain stores) will often say anything to get customers to agree to additional work they don't necessarily need or can easily do at home.

I've NEVER heard of a computer needing to be reset when replacing brake pads. Is this true with Subaru's? Specifically a 2015 Legacy. This will be my first time changing the brake pads on this brand of vehicle and would rather know before I start taking off wheels and unhinging calibers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 12:56 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester Premium
Transmission: CVT
Do you have an electronic parking brake? From what I know, those with electronic parking brake need a 'computer'.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyJohn View Post
Do you have an electronic parking brake? From what I know, those with electronic parking brake need a 'computer'.
The 2015 Legacy does have an electronic parking brake, and like you, I'd assume there was a computer of sorts controlling it.
But my concern and question is regarding resetting this computer when/after replacing the brake pads.

In the past, it's been a simple task of removing the original pads, compressing the brake pistons w/ a clamp, installing new pads, then piece the whole thing back together. And of course fully pushing down the brake pedal.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 08:42 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: 2.5XT Limited
Transmission: 4EAT
Many folks on the Legacy and Outback forums have replaced the rear brakes with EPB manually with no ill effects. It seems that if you disconnect the battery and the EPB electrical connector at the rear before doing the job, the system will automatically recalibrate upon the first application of the parking brake post service. The system is built to self calibrate periodically over time to ensure safe operation.

One easy way to test the theory, replace the brakes and see if you get a flashing brake light on the dash. If you don't get an error after the service there should be no need for a reset. If you do get an error, you could take it to the dealer at that point to have them reset the system...still probably not free, but significantly cheaper than having the dealer do the full job.
theonlyBuster likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 09:13 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 1998
Car Model: forester
I know there are sensors for brake pads on newer Audis, but didn't know Subaru did those too. I'd go with what Snow3d said, just replace the stuff yourself and deal with the cel afterward.

The higher, the fewer.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
New User

@Snow3d

Yeah, I read a few threads explaining the process but just wanted some reassurance. As this is the first time, I'll probably do one brake, drive around the block to test things out, then the other. I want to be sure I can stop should I need to take it to the dealer for a reset.

Thanks for the insight.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 04:54 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: 2.5XT Limited
Transmission: 4EAT
Not a problem. Curious as to how this turns out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Brakes

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode