Subaru repair in SF Bay? (non-dealer) - Page 2 - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

4Likes

post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 09:31 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: Forester 2.5XT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hey all - thanks so much for the mechanic recs. Does anyone know how receptive either of these shops (Mann or LIC) is to inspecting a Foz before purchase? Been looking at a couple used ones and would love a tech to go through it before I drop $$$ (compression, leakdown, other stuff). Is it normal for a seller or dealer to allow for a thorough inspection?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 10:14 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: G35 Sedan
Transmission: Auto
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
PPI or pre purchase inspection usually runs you a few hundred dollars, but is better than finding issues after the fact. I've had LIC do one for a prospective buyer on my old WRX wagon. He ended up buying the car because the car passed with flying colors.

post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 08:38 PM
Forum Member

Hey guys I hope someone replies to this old thread. I'm leaning towards LIC to have my Subaru worked on but I've also heard good this about garage one in Campbell. Does any have experience with both? I'm thinking my forester might need a new turbo would LIC be able to purchase the parts needed to install a sti turbo and whatever parts might be needed for that type of install? Do the also do engine work? Just thinking worse case scenario I'd like to have my motor rebuilt with upgraded parts. Would LIC or garage one be able to do those kind of stuff? Or is there a shop that would better fit my needs? I just got this forester and I'd love to keep it going for many more miles. I'm in love with it. Thanks in advance

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 09:26 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2001
Car Model: Forester S
Transmission: 5MT
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
@Norcalmark300 Adam and Noah at LIC can do just about anything Subaru. Give them a call.

-Rob-
'01 S Sedona Red Pearl
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 11:35 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: 5-Speed Manual
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
@Norcalmark300 Mann Engineering installed my turbo/built-shortblock/aos/heads etc awhile back. I have been trusting my car to them for awhile and have zero complaints. Also got my car tuned by Bill Knose there (Delicious Tuning).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 09:45 AM
The Seventh Sister
Administrator

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: Forester XT Premium
Transmission: 4EAT
Garage
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
@Norcalmark300 Adam and Noah at LIC can do all of that. They can source the parts for you, or you can bring your own. The only things they don't do in-house is tuning and alignments.

~ Silke ~
'04 FXT 4EAT PSM - "Subed Up"
'11 Honda CR-Z 6MT - "Kat"
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 11:16 AM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleiad7 View Post
@Norcalmark300 Adam and Noah at LIC can do all of that. They can source the parts for you, or you can bring your own. The only things they don't do in-house is tuning and alignments.
Thanks man! I’ll take my forester to them. With this many recommendation it sounds like the best place to go. Thanks in advance.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 11:25 AM

Car Year: 2017
Transmission: CVT (High Torque)
Garage
Subaru repair in SF Bay? (non-dealer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleiad7 View Post

I contacted LIC, and they said they donít work with user-supplied parts or official Subaru JDM parts. Noah also told me that installing a Subaru CVT cooler (the same one that is available in Japan and standard in Australia) would void my warranty.

That sounds like BS to me, since Subaru canít really claim that an official Subaru part that was meant for this car was the cause of a CVT failure unless it was installed incorrectly or failed (like a CVT fluid leak from the cooler or extra hoses).

Does anyone know of a reasonable shop within driving distance of San Francisco that will install owner-supplied parts without giving me the run-around?
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 12:47 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2008
Transmission: 5-Speed Manual
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjor View Post
I contacted LIC, and they said they donít work with user-supplied parts or official Subaru JDM parts. Noah also told me that installing a Subaru CVT cooler (the same one that is available in Japan and standard in Australia) would void my warranty.

That sounds like BS to me, since Subaru canít really claim that an official Subaru part that was meant for this car was the cause of a CVT failure unless it was installed incorrectly or failed (like a CVT fluid leak from the cooler or extra hoses).

Does anyone know of a reasonable shop within driving distance of San Francisco that will install owner-supplied parts without giving me the run-around?
I called LIC awhile back and was not super impressed with the person I spoke to on the phone, which pretty much scratched them off my list. I know lots of people swear by them and whomever I spoke to may have been having a bad day but it left a sour taste in my mouth.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 01:55 PM

Car Year: 2017
Transmission: CVT (High Torque)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tinman Rides Again View Post
I called LIC awhile back and was not super impressed with the person I spoke to on the phone, which pretty much scratched them off my list. I know lots of people swear by them and whomever I spoke to may have been having a bad day but it left a sour taste in my mouth.

I also contacted Mann Engineering in the South Bay, and had an opposite experience. They will install user-supplied parts, and have nothing against installing STI parts into a regular Forester. They did advise me that there is no way to tell ahead of time if a CVT cooler would interfere with a warranty claim, which is true. I might leave it alone since the warranty is so long now, but itís nice to be treated like I know what Iím talking about.

Now that I know that Mann Engineering is willing to do installations of JDM Subaru STI suspension parts, they are top of my list for installing suspension bracing and new springs/struts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > U.S. Regional Forums > Pacific Forum