('09-'13) Really need advice. Foz and financial ruin - Updated! - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

34Likes

post #1 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Forester X Limited
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Really need advice. Foz and financial ruin - Updated!

I bought a 2010 with 98,686 miles on it. They had the full service record, all of it done at the same dealer it was bought from.

I had it three weeks, and then the engine blew. Spun a rod. I had been driving the car like it was made of glass, you will see my post here I was worried about the HG issue. So I watched the fluids, and never punched it or drove it hard by any means.

Had it towed over 50 miles to the same dealership, it's "home" dealership. That's Williams Subaru of Lansing, Michigan. They confirm, and did the testing and found it does have the oil consumption issue.

Subaru of America won't help.

They want 6k+ for a short block, maybe more depending if the heads have micro fractures. And only a 1 year warranty.

6k on a car I paid 10k for.

I don't have it.

What are some opinions on getting the most value out of it? Repower with a used engine and sell? Part it out? The body is in immaculate condition. It looks new.

This is such a tremendously devastating loss. I am a small business owner in the beginning of year two. I don't have any extra money, I bought the Foz based on my past experience with an Outback and wanting to save money on fuel.

This could ruin me financially, and said without a jot of exaggeration.

I really need some advice guys. I don't know if I can even afford to buy a used engine and have it installed. Am I really going to take a 10k loss on a car I drove for 3 weeks? It's all so surreal.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 06:20 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: '03
Car Model: XS
6k for a short block....Haaaaa
Is it made of cocaine

2,500.00 for a new short block is more like it

You can buy an IAG block for a couple hundred more

post #3 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 06:29 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: '03
Car Model: XS
Short Block - Subaru (10103AB820)
$2,137.14
Natedog likes this.

post #4 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

So what is reasonable for labor to install, in terms of hours and/or price?

Essentially they're asking 3800-4k+ in labor, it seems. That's got to be over 30 hours? Can that possible be right?
post #5 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 08:37 PM
Administrator
Contributing Member

Car Year: MY03
Car Model: XS Premium / Luxury
Transmission: 4EAT w/diff lock
Don't you get a dealer guarantee on used vehicles over there?
Natedog likes this.

MY'03 XS AT offroad; MY10 Triton GLX-R
MY'97 Outback RIP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 08:41 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: 4EAT
Quick question @Fremontidae - how comfortable would you be with installing an engine yourself? There are plenty of tutorials/writeups/videos that could walk you through the process. Necessary tools are always a consideration, but most things that are "specialized" can be rented from auto parts stores. Please know that I'm not saying doing an engine swap yourself would be easy...just that it's possible. If you're talking about 4k in labor, it sounds like this may be an option to look at. In case you're not interested in doing it yourself, call other shops around. Maybe try to find a non dealer Subaru mechanic around. If you live where there's snow, there's a Subie mechanic in close proximity to keep all the yabbo's cars going.

As always, we are here to help however we can!
post #7 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 08:48 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester Premium X
Transmission: AT
Something doesnt make sense here. An engine doesnt suddenly develop an oil consumption issue. Do you feel that the sellers hid the defect?

Engine replacements arent generally going to be economical from a dealership, you need to talk to private shops.
Natedog and LandPirate like this.
post #8 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector View Post
Something doesnt make sense here. An engine doesnt suddenly develop an oil consumption issue. Do you feel that the sellers hid the defect?
That's my issue with the dealer. Both owners have had the service done from the dealer, from which it was originally purchased. Complete and extensive maintenance history. But when they were diagnosing the spun rod is when they did the oil consumption test... I don't know how a car with a known issue like that doesn't get noticed after 8 years and 100k miles of going to the same dealer.
Natedog likes this.
post #9 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 02:29 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester
How did they do a consumption test?
Natedog likes this.
post #10 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 05:45 AM
adc
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: 2008 2.5i-2018 XT
No warranty?, oil consumption test after "diagnosing a spun bearing". Car runs fine for 3 weeks and then explodes?

I would be going back to whoever sold you the vehicle.

Natedog likes this.

Be careful what you wish for.

Last edited by adc; 06-18-2018 at 05:51 AM.
post #11 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 06:20 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2012
Car Model: Forester X
Transmission: Auto
I would suggest you take a look at your paperwork.
On a vehicle in that price range, there is usually a warranty, almost always at least 30 days.
I'd check that out first. As far as what they are quoting, you can do a lot better.
Natedog likes this.
post #12 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 06:36 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: Forester
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
My initial though from reading this post...like something was know beforehand but hidden. And can you do an oil consumption test on a shot engine????

Quote:
Engine replacements arent generally going to be economical from a dealership, you need to talk to private shops.
Listen to those who say this as there are independent shops who will do the same job for much less.

I'd give the dealer as much **** as you can, I'd probably go as far as visiting in person and screaming my lungs out. Don't hold back. And don't let them take you to a room to discuss this, let everyone in the showroom looking at cars know what you're going through. Please take this advice with a grain of salt, but it's certainly your prerogative to go this far.

My heart goes out to you, and I hope you get this resolved soon. Then, never go back to that dealer ever again.
Natedog likes this.

2006 2.5X AT N/A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 06:44 AM
Forum Member

you were had, get a lawyer get a used or remanufactured guaranteed engine installed y a non dealer mech shop otherwise you canna afford to just dump it or let it lay there
post #14 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 06:48 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: 2.5XT Limited
Transmission: 4EAT
Man that sucks! My advice would be to make a lot of noise over this issue. If they sold you a lemon, chances are that they knew about the issue. If it is just a random occurrence they should step up and take care of it. And yes, you should have at least a 30 day warranty. If you still get nowhere you may want to threaten to play dirty.

Short story:

Back in the day my old man bought a Corvette, brand new, and it had nothing but problems. Electrical, oil leaks, etc.. After fighting with the folks at GM for a while and getting nowhere. He told them if they did not man up and take care of business, he was going to bring the car back to the dealer and park it on their lot packed to the brim with lemons. Two days later the President of GM called him personally. The day after that a flatbed showed up at the house. No joke. Problem solved.
post #15 of 78 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 07:46 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: FXT
Transmission: slush-box
guarantees

I fear you will have little recourse legally. Time to get out that purchase contract and read the fine print.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...ing-at-dealer/

I do agree with many here that an independent mechanic could save you a lot of money right now. Otherwise, what? part out the car and buy a beater. I don't like the odds of reliability there...

good luck,

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Engine and Exhaust > EJ25 - 2.5L Non-Turbo (1998-2010)