Unexpected (for me) benefit of AWD - better takeoff when turning - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

5Likes
  • 2 Post By MassSubie
  • 2 Post By frijoles
  • 1 Post By kōbai-iro

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2019
Car Model: Forester - Touring
Transmission: CVT
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unexpected (for me) benefit of AWD - better takeoff when turning

Recently bought a 2019 Subaru Forester, my first AWD car. The car is not a speed demon, but I am a pretty laid back driver. I do though, want the car to accelerate briskly when entering directly into thick traffic running at speed on Route 1 from one of the many businesses - being too leisurely there could get you rear-ended.

What I have found is, while my prior FWD cars were subject to LOTS of wheel spin while trying to make that sharp turn and accelerate hard at the same time, the AWD system allows me to take off with zero drama and more importantly, zero lost time, because there's zero wheel spin. The net effect is that I am more confident entering this lane with cars running thick at 50mph than I was with earlier FWD cars with more power, because the AWD drivetrain makes the available power more usable in that first critical second or two while making this maneuver .

slothman and a1penguin like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 07:09 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2018
Car Model: Forester Limited
Transmission: auto CVT
Based on your location, I'm betting you are gonna get some snow at some point. That's when you will really appreciate the great AWD system Subaru has.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 08:34 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: Forester XT Sport
i have a 2002 buick regal on retainer in case of car problems(which is now busted headgasket due to steam in radiator). bought my 08 fxt and been driving it for past 4-5 years. I needed to drive the buick again i never realized how poorly a stand still push into traffic was. Didnt realize how much it was utilized until going back to the fwd.

Same with my wife, shes been driving 06 imperza. Impreza in shop, buick was being used, wife kept saying 'the tires keep squeeling, you need new tires'. Hahaha had to tell her to to back off a bit.
a1penguin and MassSubie like this.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 09:06 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: SJ 2.0XTP
Transmission: HTLCVT
I don't consider myself a street racer, but do seem to have a slight case of leadfootitis when it comes to initially setting a car in motion. I absolutely HATE the constant chirping of tires when taking off over those white stop lines at intersections (the applied ones are even worse than the old painted or painted AND beaded types) whenever I am forced to drive a FWD car or even some AWDs other than my Subie, and it's worse with harder compound high mileage rated tires, and when it rains.

My FXT seldom chirps, regardless of whether it has summer or winter tires on it, in rain, shine or slush. I guess I've finally outgrown thinking that burning rubber or "catching a wheel" was cool, and truly appreciate how my Symmetrical AWD and Lineartronic CVT can get me going briskly when I ask them to, without attracting undesirable attention.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 10:22 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester Sport
I never test drove before purchasing 2019 Forester because compared to a 1995 Honda Civic DX, there's not much to compare. The Civic is a dog (lowest trim level with 1.5l 102 hp engine), but it is very low to the ground (5.9" clearance) and the seats also sit low in the car. I picked up the Foz last Saturday and the salesman was going through all the safety features. We went up onto 101 for a lane demo and the entrance ramp was a curve. I had one of those oh no moments when I accelerated in the corner and kind of felt a bit of tipping to the left! I'm going to have to wait and accelerate after the turn on the straight portion of the ramp.

The closest we get to snow in SF area is sleet :-)

I'm going to miss my Civic; it was an reliable, excellent car for the $. I didn't bother to try trading it in, but it might be worth a couple of grand if people on CL are getting the asking prices for similar cars.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 05:54 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: 2.5i Premium
Transmission: CVT
My previous car to my 2015 Forester purchase was a 1991 Civic Std 4 spd HB, 73 raw horses lol. It was a great car reliable as hell and fun to drive. I had it for 23 yrs. But it was getting too hard to climb in and out of so low to the ground and it obviously lacked all the accroutrements of today's vehicles.
a1penguin likes this.

Go Hawks!
Go Huskies!
Go Mariners!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 02:20 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester Sport
Transmission: Auto
I was very happy the other rainy day when I pulled out from McDonalds and immediately realized that the car coming up (in the lane I just turned into) was going faster than I thought and I had to get on it. Not only did it have enough power but no wheel spin. Where as my old Mazda 3 would have been spinning the wheels like crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > General Forums > General Forum

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode