('14-'18) Replace '18 windshield with '16 OEM glass? - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2018
Car Model: SJ Forester 2.5i Ltd
Transmission: CVT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Replace '18 windshield with '16 OEM glass?

Seems like all the cracked windshield complaints have to do with the acoustic windshields that Subaru installed in Foresters beginning with model year 2017. I may be needing a second windshield replacement on my 2018 Limited (no Eyesight) due to glass damage. Safelite is coming tomorrow to repair another rock chip; last time they attempted a similar repair the windshield cracked and I had to get a new windshield.

I'm not about to have a third OEM acoustic glass windshield installed. But what about installing a 2016 OEM Subaru windshield that is not acoustic glass?

Has anyone investigated or installed a 2014-2016 Subaru OEM windshield in a 2017-2018 Forester? If so any problems with the fit or molding?

2018 2.5i Ltd FB25 CVT; 2010 2.5X Ltd EJ253 4AT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 11:32 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2017
Car Model: Forester 2.5i
Transmission: CVT
FB, if you had three cracked sonic windshields go, why deal with this at all if you have Safelite coming over? They put on my Pilkington easykool glass (it does not say on it that it is the sonic Pilkington, only "laminated") onto my 2017 in their shop, and this has already impressed me taking a number of hits on the Taconic State Parkway New York at up to 80 mph, no chips, cracks, pits. A little more noisy if climbing a hill, but I couldn't care less. One replacement with non-Subaru glass and done!
Unless you have that Eyesight and have to use OEM, I'd avoid it.

Last edited by John L.; 05-16-2019 at 01:34 PM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 03:04 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2017
Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by John L. View Post
FB, if you had three cracked sonic windshields go, why deal with this at all if you have Safelite coming over? They put on my Pilkington easykool glass (it does not say on it that it is the sonic Pilkington, only "laminated") onto my 2017 in their shop, and this has already impressed me taking a number of hits on the Taconic State Parkway New York at up to 80 mph, no chips, cracks, pits. A little more noisy if climbing a hill, but I couldn't care less. One replacement with non-Subaru glass and done!
Unless you have that Eyesight and have to use OEM, I'd avoid it.
You don't have to use OEM with EyeSight. I had the windshield in my '17 replaced a few weeks ago by Safelite with non-OEM glass and EyeSight is operating just fine. The system just had to be calibrated by Safelite which they did at their location. That was the only caveat: Safelite could not come replace the windshield at my location as the equipment to calibrate EyeSight is necessary. So I just went there and was done within a couple of hours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Exterior and Body > Glass: Windows, Mirrors and Moon roofs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode