('19+) New Premium already needs new windshield; ANGRY - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

24Likes

post #1 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: Forester
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry New Premium already needs new windshield; ANGRY

Haven't had our new '19 Premium for even a month (barely 700 miles on it) and windshield already has a crack and needs replacing. Don't know who I'm more frustrated with: SOA or NCDOT. Wife was out driving this weekend on local interstate 40 (that had loose gravel due to repaving) at posted speed limit when a small pebble flew up and cracked the windshield upon impact near the passenger side and extended to center.

Frustration w/ NCDOT lies with the fact that there weren't any posted orange caution signs regarding new pavement/ loose gravel, grading/ etc.

Frustration w/ Subaru in that we bought an appx $27k new vehicle for piece of mind in avoiding any significant repair costs for first few years of ownership. We also have an '06 Forester w/ appx 154k miles on it and have NEVER had any windshield issues.

She called SOA this morning and they asked her to bring to local dealership and let them examine to determine if windshield is "defective" (she called GEICO immediately after crack happened and they scheduled an appt for Safelite to replace)

Especially frustrated having to pay (even after insurance) for something that wasn't my fault. Relieved that impact didn't cause my wife to veer off road (esp considering our four year old was in the car as well).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 08:35 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2017
Car Model: Forester Premium ES
Transmission: CVT
Please file a NHTSA report here:
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/
We need all the reports we can get in order for Subaru to be forced into a recall. Subaru will never fix this known problem unless forced to. Also try to get an aftermarket windshield. If you put another Subaru/AGC windshield in you are throwing your money away as it will crack again within days weeks or months. If there is no aftermarket then just leave it broken until one becomes available.

leland grant likes this.
post #3 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

yes to the NHTSA report.

Does installing an aftermarket void any of Subaru's warranty protections and/ or affect EyeSight performance?

post #4 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 10:07 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Touring with Eyesigh
Use the Search Function.
Because of gravel hits your windshield then it now a major issue....No just road improvements and bad luck.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆
post #5 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 10:34 AM
Forum Member

Pnflkc3

Maybe Subaru should cover accidents that aren't your fault as well.
HeyChris, tibadoe and Even_Stephen like this.
post #6 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Good news is Suabru dealer is going to replace no cost. Am just worried it may be only be a matter of time before it happens again. Am planning on looking into cost of lowering deductible with GEICO and/ or adding glass insurance with them or someone else.
ForesterBill likes this.
post #7 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 11:53 AM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnflkc3 View Post
yes to the NHTSA report.

Does installing an aftermarket void any of Subaru's warranty protections and/ or affect EyeSight performance?
Of course Subaru wants you to use their windshield. But EyeSight should work just fine and they canít void your warranty for it.
post #8 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 12:30 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Touring with Eyesigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalFozz View Post
Of course Subaru wants you to use their windshield. But EyeSight should work just fine and they canít void your warranty for it.
Source? What about the insurance company Bean counters lawyers G-d forbid you hit someone and they put doubt on your replacement of windshield and calibration.
@Pnflkc3 you can use any windshield as long as it is certified Eyesight approved by Subaru same with calibration, Good Luck.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

Last edited by Yoda_One; 06-17-2019 at 12:38 PM.
post #9 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 01:30 PM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnflkc3 View Post
Good news is Suabru dealer is going to replace no cost. Am just worried it may be only be a matter of time before it happens again. Am planning on looking into cost of lowering deductible with GEICO and/ or adding glass insurance with them or someone else.
Awesome youíre getting it replaced for free. And make sure to up your insurance coverage in preparation for the next crack. If Subaru doesnít want to replace it for free next time, thatís when you get a lemon law attorney involved. They will be happy to help at no cost to you.
SoobADoob likes this.
post #10 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 03:08 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: Forester2.5i Premium
It's hard to find a car make/model forum that doesn't have a thread about recent upsurges in windshield damage. Maybe every manufacturer is using cheap glass these days. Or maybe our deteriorating infrastructure, combined with lack of regulation/enforcement in the trucking industry, combined with increased traffic, results in a significant rise in the amount of flying rock on the highway.

It's heartening that Subaru is offering to pay for something that is absolutely not a warranted item, but this is obviously an exception that we usually won't benefit from, any more than we'd expect them to pay for damage from hitting a pothole or any other accidental damage.

If there was an indication that Subaru windshields are, by design, more fragile than they should be, there would be basis for action, of course. It's happened before: A successful class-action suit was brought against Toyota for easily-damaged windshields in the 2004 Scion xB. I went through three windshields on my 2005, which was exactly identical but not covered by the settlement. This was a nearly flat and almost vertical windshield that was (in retrospect) highly vulnerable to damage from road debris. (edited to add: anecdotally, my broken windshields all happened during my commuting years; the last five years I owned the car, driving more relaxed and not during rush hour, I had no further problems.)

Many of us who have been driving for decades are surprised when we get windshield damage for the first time; it's never happened to us before. But conditions are different now. (Have you noticed that there far fewer bugs splattered on the front of your car these days? Conditions are different.) So maybe we need to be more vigilant about road conditions, not following trucks on broken pavement, etc. And maybe we need to lower the deductibles on our comprehensive insurance.

Yoda_One and FelineFreddie like this.

Last edited by rdclark; 06-17-2019 at 04:25 PM.
post #11 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 03:32 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2019
Car Model: Forester Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalTwoTone View Post
Maybe Subaru should cover accidents that aren't your fault as well.
Welcome to the new America.... a place where, when anything happens to you thatís bad, itís ALWAYS someone elseís fault...
post #12 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 05:07 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2018
Car Model: Premium 2.5i 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalFozz View Post
Awesome youíre getting it replaced for free. And make sure to up your insurance coverage in preparation for the next crack. If Subaru doesnít want to replace it for free next time, thatís when you get a lemon law attorney involved. They will be happy to help at no cost to you.
I agree. If the dealer is replacing this windshield for free with an OEM one, I think you're good. More than good, in fact. Maybe it was a super random event with this rock. If it was an active construction zone with no signage at all, you might want to contact your state's DOT and file a complaint; they may do something to help. (But then again, the dealer is giving you a free replacement.)

Like SoCalFozz says, if it happens again, call that attorney. Who wants/needs that kind of hassle on a brand-new vehicle?
post #13 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 10:13 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: Forester X
Transmission: 5 MT
Kentucky has no deductible glass replacement as part of comprehensive insurance (unless caused by collision)
post #14 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoobADoob View Post
I agree. If the dealer is replacing this windshield for free with an OEM one, I think you're good. More than good, in fact. Maybe it was a super random event with this rock. If it was an active construction zone with no signage at all, you might want to contact your state's DOT and file a complaint; they may do something to help. (But then again, the dealer is giving you a free replacement.)

Like SoCalFozz says, if it happens again, call that attorney. Who wants/needs that kind of hassle on a brand-new vehicle?
Yup...the new vehicle hassle is what aggravates me the most. We were planning on two comfortable, worry-free road trips this Summer w/ the new Foz and now have to wait for new windshield to arrive.
post #15 of 75 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker104 View Post
Kentucky has no deductible glass replacement as part of comprehensive insurance (unless caused by collision)
Them and a handful of other states. Read about it when googling about windshields. Great piece of mind for those living in those states.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Exterior and Body > Glass: Windows, Mirrors and Moon roofs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode