User Tag List

31Likes

post #1 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2019
Car Model: Forester Sport
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2019 Windshield on LONG backorder!

My 2019's windshield got smashed by a rock on the freeway the other day. Put in an order for an OEM replacement and was notified today that it won't come in till end March or later! Unacceptable. How could Subaru not have such a critical and frequently broken part such as a windshield in stock? Any recourse? Any ideas? Thank you very much.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 04:26 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 17
Car Model: Forester XT
Nothing new. The previous generation had inventory issues during the entire production cycle. Its seems Subaru is still adjusting their supply channels to their ever increasing sales.

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

post #3 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 04:28 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: '17
Car Model: Impreza Hatchback
Transmission: CVT
The reason for the delay is that the OEM acoustic glass windshields are out-of-stock and back-ordered because so many are breaking!
Natedog and wgilbert like this.

'17 Impreza HB
previous car: '06 Forester X

post #4 of 115 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 05:09 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2018
I remember the guys saying they weren’t defective and that I was following too close

So much dumb
post #5 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 04:20 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 19
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: cvt
Wonder what they learned from this: https://www.torquenews.com/1084/suba...ck-windshields
Natedog likes this.
post #6 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 11:48 AM
Forum Member

add us to the list.....cracked 2019 windshield...on backorder since beginning of January.
Natedog likes this.
post #7 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 12:14 PM
Forum Member

How can a newly released vehicle have windshields on back order?

Man...their glass is a complete joke.
Natedog likes this.
post #8 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 07:51 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 1999
Car Model: Forester S
If you think Subaru manufactures the glass for your vehicle, you're sorely mistaken. This comes from a supplier and there can be any number of issues that caused this, either by the fault of the supplier, or poor engineering by Subaru.

Pretty hard to point fingers from the customer's side of this issue, given that we have zero insight.
post #9 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 11:01 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2017
Car Model: Forester Premium ES
Transmission: CVT
While Subaru does not manufacture the glass, they are fully responsible for any defects. It is their job to ensure that the supplier provides adequate glass. Which they have completely failed to do. They are fully aware of the defect in the 2017-18, yet they did absolutely nothing to address the issue on a full vehicle redesign, let alone fix the problem on the existing vehicles.
Natedog likes this.
post #10 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 11:04 AM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soobcrazy View Post
If you think Subaru manufactures the glass for your vehicle, you're sorely mistaken. This comes from a supplier and there can be any number of issues that caused this, either by the fault of the supplier, or poor engineering by Subaru.

Pretty hard to point fingers from the customer's side of this issue, given that we have zero insight.

There is a Subaru logo on the glass. They are responsible for their product. In addition, if the 19's are a problem like the 17's/18's, then that is an even bigger issue, as they were aware of the problem prior.

Natedog and saab93ddriver like this.
post #11 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 07:25 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 1999
Car Model: Forester S
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalFozz View Post
While Subaru does not manufacture the glass, they are fully responsible for any defects. It is their job to ensure that the supplier provides adequate glass. Which they have completely failed to do. They are fully aware of the defect in the 2017-18, yet they did absolutely nothing to address the issue on a full vehicle redesign, let alone fix the problem on the existing vehicles.
I work in the automotive industry for a vehicle manufacturer. Our Warranty Department is located on the other side of my cubicle wall. I author the owner's manuals, as well as service bulletins and federal recalls. I work closely with our engineers to correct field issues as we learn about them. To address some of what you said:

Subaru is responsible for making the customer whole in the event of a defect, but that does NOT mean they are responsible for "ensuring that the supplier provides adequate glass..." There aren't Subaru inspectors at the glass plant watching each windshield come off the line. There are spot checks, but every part does not get inspected by Subaru (but the supplier might). Completely failed to do? They're replacing windshields that failed, that's all they're required to do by law.

As far as the carryover of the defect from '17-18 to '19, you do understand that these are two different vehicles. They do not share windshield glass part numbers. They may even use different glass suppliers for each generation. Besides that, once the 2014 forester was released, the work began on the 2019, so they may have been working on the 2019 glass before the '17s were even released.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoshie View Post
There is a Subaru logo on the glass. They are responsible for their product. In addition, if the 19's are a problem like the 17's/18's, then that is an even bigger issue, as they were aware of the problem prior.
While they're responsible for their product, just because their logo is on the windshield doesn't mean they manufactured it. We require suppliers mold/cast/print our logos and part numbers on our own proprietary parts, we basically don't manufacture anything, we assemble parts from different suppliers.

Again, '17-18 and 2019 are two different animals. As stated above, they were probably well into the design of the 2019 before the new glass was OK'd for production on the '17s. By then the supply lines were running and it would be cost prohibitive to scrap tens of thousands of windshields for a redesign, when only a fraction of the total population are seeing failures.

Is this a customer dissatisfier? Absolutely! Am I defending Subaru or SoA? NO! But it's really easy to make angry statements and say "They should have known! They should have done better!" when you don't really understand how the automotive manufacturing process works. I do have some empathy for them, but if it was my car I would be livid about the backorder.
post #12 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 10:06 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2019
Car Model: Touring
Quote:
I work in the automotive industry for a vehicle manufacturer.
I find it interesting that you work for a different automotive manufacture, yet you drive a Subaru.... I wonder how many others do the same?
post #13 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 10:54 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 14
Transmission: Cvt
cracked windshield

1st day my wife drove her '19 touring, she had a windshield crack from a little rock while on the interstate.
post #14 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 11:54 AM
Forum Member

Does Subaru pay for it? probably not.
How much does it cost?
post #15 of 115 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 12:30 PM
Forum Member

Quote:

Again, '17-18 and 2019 are two different animals. As stated above, they were probably well into the design of the 2019 before the new glass was OK'd for production on the '17s. By then the supply lines were running and it would be cost prohibitive to scrap tens of thousands of windshields for a redesign, when only a fraction of the total population are seeing failures.

Is this a customer dissatisfier? Absolutely! Am I defending Subaru or SoA? NO! But it's really easy to make angry statements and say "They should have known! They should have done better!" when you don't really understand how the automotive manufacturing process works. I do have some empathy for them, but if it was my car I would be livid about the backorder.

I'm really not livid about it. It's annoying is all. It changes the way I drive in winter especially. Subaru Canada has acknowledged the issue. It's just important for people to know they are complete garbage...and that if they live in harsh environments, that aftermarket should be highly considered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Exterior and Body > Glass: Windows, Mirrors and Moon roofs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode