User Tag List

4Likes
  • 3 Post By Botnik
  • 1 Post By PearlWhite

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rain and bumps disable eyesight

2019 Forester Premium. Driving in a moderate rain on city roads in need of repair when eyesight just shut off and so did the lane alert. Had to stop and restart the car to get both going again. About ten minutes later the problems repeated and had to restart the car once again to get both systems running. No other problems for the next few hours. This is the first time for these problems in 6k+ miles. Known problem? Anomaly? Anyone else have similar symptoms?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 07:11 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2013
Car Model: 2.5i-L
Transmission: CVT
Neither moderate rain, or bumps should disable Eyesight. Could the windshield in front of the cameras have fogged up perhaps?

2013 (US 2014) Forester 2.5i-L + Eyesight.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 07:55 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2019
Car Model: Forester Limited
It takes a "maybe I should pull over" torrential downpour for my car's EyeSight to shut down. Moderately heavy rain (wipers on high) is a non-issue. 2019 Owners manual says products such as Rain-X can cause problems, but at least one person says they have seen no change in EyeSight as a result.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 08:12 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester Sport
Garage
No issue here with even one step below torrential downpours. I even commented to my wife today on how the Eyesight on our 2019 Forester Sport worked really good even in the hellacious rain we have been experiencing here.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

This could be, thanks
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 03:28 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2018
Car Model: Forester XT Limited
Whenever the system can't get a good view of the lanes etc, EyeSight will complain. Maybe your windshield is dirty or your wipers need replacing so you get streaks on the windshield or something. With my 2018, it's usually rain plus something that causes the complaint. I just keep driving and EyeSight eventually comes back. Sometimes much later.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 03:31 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Transmission: HT-CVT
I've only had this happen to me once before and it was during a torrential downpour where my wipers on max couldn't keep up with the rain. Either have your wipers sweep faster or consider putting on your hazards and pull over if it's raining that hard.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 03:37 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XT Limited
It's not necessarily torrential rain that causes the EyeSight complaints. It's anything that either causes the camera system to not be able to see the road features, or it's some situation that falls outside whatever the built-in algorithm can recognise.

What causes EyeSight to quit working is not necessarily the same thing that obscures your view of the road. If EyeSight isn't functioning but you can see the road clearly, it's perfectly safe to drive using your own eyes, just like you would drive a car without EyeSight.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 03:49 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester Touring
Transmission: Automatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnik View Post
Maybe your windshield is dirty or your wipers need replacing so you get streaks on the windshield or something. With my 2018, it's usually rain plus something that causes the complaint.
When I got my 2018 the wiper blades were horrible. Streaked really bad and couldn't see well for myself, forget about eyesight. The first thing I did after that first rain . . . buy silicone wipers!!! Huge difference and my eyesight hasn't complained. . . unless the window is fogging.

The only other time it turned off was on a misty night with no lane markers on a town road. I guess it couldn't tell where it was. Still, you can drive totally fine with it off and it came back after 1 or 2 minutes.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 03:58 PM
Forum Member

My only experience with EyeSight going down was driving in a light rain which was hitting the road and turning into steam. It was actually kinda pretty, but too much for Eyesight.

That said, since EyeSight is totally based on visual cameras, if it has trouble from outside, you should easily be able to see what the cause is. If you don't see it, it's likely on the windshield in front of the cameras where it's not noticeable to the driver.

If you have trouble on bumpy roads without the rain, maybe a camera is a little loose or something inside.

Mazdas use radar, lidar, and cameras in their system which IMHO react faster and more reliable in numerous situations.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 04:32 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester
2019 Forester Limited. My Eyesight also became disabled in a moderate rain on the highway. I was passing a dump truck which was spraying a fine mist from it's tires. The disable message was a surprise but now I'm aware that it does happen.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 05:59 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2016
Car Model: 2.5i Premium
My '16 Eyesight became sensitive to "checking out" when the INSIDE of the
windshield became a little fogged up. I use per-moistened wipes on the
inside of the windshield to insure that nothing gets into the Eyesight cameras.

The wipes vs glass cleaner spray tip was provided by the dealer when I bought
the car. They told us to NEVER use Windex or equivalent spray to clean the
inside of the windshield because it might create an issue with the Eyesight cameras
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 06:35 AM
Forum Member

only thing that disabled mine was extreem rain and fogged up windows
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 08:11 AM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boureesub View Post
It takes a "maybe I should pull over" torrential downpour for my car's EyeSight to shut down. Moderately heavy rain (wipers on high) is a non-issue. 2019 Owners manual says products such as Rain-X can cause problems, but at least one person says they have seen no change in EyeSight as a result.
Rain-X since day 1 here. Never had an issue in heavy rain. The one time it disabled was when heavy fogging occurred on the inside of glass near eyesight cameras.
boureesub likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Driver-Assist Technology and EyeSight

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode