('14-'18) Eyesight vs Tumbleweed - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

4Likes

post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 05:21 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Eyesight vs Tumbleweed

Driving across Kansas and the wind was blowing its normal 30+ mph and a tumbleweed came acrooss the road and the brakes started to lock up and about the same time it passed the front of the car. The brakes were only locked for a half second and then they released. Be aware.

Last edited by titleman; 04-28-2019 at 11:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 01:34 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2019
Car Model: Forester Sport
Transmission: Lineartronic® CVT
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by titleman View Post
Driving across Kansas and the wind was blowing its normal 30+ mph and a tumbleweed came acrooss the road and the brakes started to lock up and about the same time it passed the front of the car. The brakes were only locked for a half second and then they released. Be aware.

Wow, never imagined a simple ball of dried up grass / weed causing that. I guess, same with a deer or bear or cow crossing road suddenly. Hope not squirrels!

...and do have a Safe Trip!
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 05:54 PM
Forum Member

The eyesight locked up on me as I was in a semi slow traffic but it was still flowing. My lane was on the slower end, as a big rig goes pass me I switched lanes just right behind the rig. I was barely stepping on the gas pedal. As I fully switched over the eyesight locked up the brakes on me. To me it seemed a little dangerous as the car almost made a full stop with cars moving.
danornan likes this.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 12:42 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester
Eyesight isn't really ready and could use a lot of improvements in my opinion, but it's still worth it because it can save a life.

I'm looking forward to truly autonomous driving. I'm really upset that every manufacturer is trying their own thing. It's way too dangerous. I'd rather see everyone get on board with Waymo, rather than just Jaguar Land Rover. I'm assuming it's all about the money, and it's more profitable for each company to make their own system. It's just people are dying in the meantime.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 01:24 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2013
Car Model: 2.5i-L
Transmission: CVT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrillascrilla View Post
I switched lanes just right behind the rig
So Eyesight was suddenly presented with a large object right in front of it and the distance closing? Was adaptive cruise control activated?

Quote:
To me it seemed a little dangerous as the car almost made a full stop with cars moving
Had you taken action by accelerating Eyesight would have reset. As per the Eyesight manual, braking, or turning the steering wheel also works.

2013 (US 2014) Forester 2.5i-L + Eyesight.

Last edited by slothman; 06-08-2019 at 01:33 AM.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 06:14 AM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by titleman View Post
Yup. It happened to me with a plastic bag blowing out of the truck in front of me. I was able to convince Fozzy that I got this by hitting the accelerator.
It also happened to me at low speed when I was parking with a low hanging tree branch where I wanted to park.
It was a little surprising, but your "Be Aware" advice is right. All in all, I'm glad it's there and think it will move the needle on safety in the right direction.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Sounds like everything is working as it should. As for as my opinion I wish all cars had this.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 07:24 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2012
Car Model: Forester X
Transmission: Auto
The problem is unintended consequences when the system is working as designed.
Had the tumbleweed been moving straight at the car, instead of across the lane, Eyesight would have likely interpreted this as an impending head on collision and stopped the car. With its machine reflexes, that happens pretty fast.
Is the semi-truck behind you capable of suddenly stopping for no reason? Probably not.

Eyesight does not "know" what any object is, and in the case that @titleman noted, a non-problem (tumbleweed) could result in a major problem (being rear-ended by the vehicle behind you because your car decided to slam on the brakes). That's the safety tradeoff.

I'm convinced there will be lawsuits against Subaru for cars designed to stop more quickly that a human following the car can, especially when there is no reason for the Subaru to brake in the first place, as would be the case the OP mentioned.

Maybe turning off the system on a windy day is a good idea in tumbleweed country.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 02:23 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester Touring
I guess I am safe from the tumbleweed danger as I live in NH. Hopefully though, the system will activate for a Moose
DragonSubie7 and ryanb like this.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 10:19 PM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slothman View Post
Quote:
I switched lanes just right behind the rig
So Eyesight was suddenly presented with a large object right in front of it and the distance closing? Was adaptive cruise control activated?

Quote:
To me it seemed a little dangerous as the car almost made a full stop with cars moving
Had you taken action by accelerating Eyesight would have reset. As per the Eyesight manual, braking, or turning the steering wheel also works.
Cruise crontrol was not activated. Either way it may or may not be my fault for switching lane that close behind a big rig. Eyesight worked for what it was designed for.

In the initial moment it happened, it was more like a oh ***** moment. I think I tried to step on the accelerator trying to prevent someone from rear ending me.

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 09:18 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester Sport
Transmission: Lineartronic® CVT
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonSubie7 View Post
I'm convinced there will be lawsuits against Subaru for cars designed to stop more quickly that a human following the car can,
People just need to get less rushed, learn what a proper following distance is and actually drive the car.

Quote:
The eyesight locked up on me as I was in a semi slow traffic but it was still flowing. My lane was on the slower end, as a big rig goes pass me I switched lanes just right behind the rig. I was barely stepping on the gas pedal. As I fully switched over the eyesight locked up the brakes on me. To me it seemed a little dangerous as the car almost made a full stop with cars moving.
It did so likely "interpreting" the new target as too close. It suddenly "realized" that you were too close at that speed, so it applied brakes.

Something happened with ours that was a bit uncomfortable too, I was following NOTHING, cruise set at speed limit, car was too close behind me and another car passed me and cut in pretty close to my front, Eyesight reacted by slowing car, I hit the gas as I just "knew" what was gonna happen, car behind me also passed & got the hell on up the road after that. Lesson learned again ...I had to drive for those two clowns too.

...and do have a Safe Trip!

Last edited by CrystalPistol; 06-19-2019 at 09:28 PM.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 05:35 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2016
The auto brake function is one feature of the eyesight system that I strongly dislike. It often wants to brake when someone is turning in front of me. Has anyone discovered a simple way to permanently disable it, like pulling a fuse?
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 06:41 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2012
Car Model: Forester X
Transmission: Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalPistol View Post
People just need to get less rushed, learn what a proper following distance is and actually drive the car.
That's hard to argue with... but does a proper distance include enough room to account for an unnecessary panic stop on the freeway?

If your car on the interstate is doing 75 or 80, and it decides to slam on the brakes because of something like a tumbleweed or a plastic bag, the chances are there is going to be a collision. Ordinarily, people don't make irrational panic stops at high speed, but an automated system will.
Hopefully it won't be a semi-truck with a full load behind you, but it could be, and that is part of the unintended consequences of a "safety" feature.

Air bags are another example..
Although originally intended to assist in prevention of injury from someone who isn't wearing a seatbelt, they have also caused deaths in situations where an occupant would have survived without them.

In both cases, likely the positive outweighs the negatives in the majority of cases, but in any specific circumstance, your results might vary.

Based on forum feedback, I leave a lot of extra distance when following a late model Subaru and pass at the first opportunity.
It's windy very often here and you never know when a "killer plastic bag" may be coming your way...
Maxwedge likes this.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 07:59 AM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitwood View Post
The auto brake function is one feature of the eyesight system that I strongly dislike. It often wants to brake when someone is turning in front of me. Has anyone discovered a simple way to permanently disable it, like pulling a fuse?
There's a button by the rear view mirror to turn this off. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it will remain off until long pressed again even after a restart. I haven't tested to see if it remembers "off" after a restart.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 12:58 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2016
From the manual:
"Even when the Pre-Collision Braking System is turned off, if the ignition switch is turned off and the engine is then restarted, the Pre-Collision Braking System will be turned on."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Driver-Assist Technology and EyeSight