('14-'18) Do you have to adjust eyesight after lowering your car? - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

1Likes

post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: CVT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Do you have to adjust eyesight after lowering your car?

Another question before lowering my car is that
Do you have to adjust eyesight after lowering?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 01:30 PM
Emeritus Forum Staff

Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Garage
You should probably ask your dealership. I am guessing that recalibration would be needed, but I don't know for sure.

Lifted 2014 XT Touring Ice Silver

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoJosh View Post
You should probably ask your dealership. I am guessing that recalibration would be needed, but I don't know for sure.
I asked once. My dealer has never done that before. :-(.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 01:39 PM
Emeritus Forum Staff

Garage
Maybe email or call Subaru of America?

As far as I know, nobody with EyeSight has lowered or lifted their Forester yet.

I can check the service manual tonight if nobody else has chimed in this evening.

-

post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 02:18 PM
The Seventh Sister
Administrator

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: Forester XT Premium
Transmission: 4EAT
Garage
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
I'm going to make an educated guess that SOA will absolutely refuse to make a statement pertaining to any sort of modification such as lowering and the possible ramifications with Eyesight. They don't endorse altering the car in any way, shape or form, and they'd be exposing themselves to serious liability issues if they did.

~ Silke ~
'04 FXT 4EAT PSM - "Subed Up"
'11 Honda CR-Z 6MT - "Kat"
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleiad7 View Post
I'm going to make an educated guess that SOA will absolutely refuse to make a statement pertaining to any sort of modification such as lowering and the possible ramifications with Eyesight. They don't endorse altering the car in any way, shape or form, and they'd be exposing themselves to serious liability issues if they did.
you are right. I have asked before. Exactly as what you mean here.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 05:16 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: Xt premium
Transmission: HTCVT
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
This doesn't give an answer as to what they did, but it does say they needed to make adjustments to eyesight because of the lower ride height and stronger brakes

Two 2015 Subaru Forester tS features kept STI engineers awake at night - Torque News

Two features give STI fits
But it was the new Brembo performance brakes and lower ride height that gave STI engineers fits as they developed the new SUV. The Forester tS had to get Subaru's unique driver assist technology EyeSight safety system and STI had to come up with a way for it to work. The bigger Brembo brakes and lower ride height was not allowing the system to work properly. This safety system has earned global praise for its ability to prevent collisions in all Subaru-equipped vehicles. Forester tS also features a dedicated VDC (Vehicle Dynamics Control) system.
How did they do it?
Subaru and STI developed the new Forester STI at the same time they were testing the new 2015 Subaru WRX STI Nurburgring 24-hour race car. They also have tested the performance SUV on twisty roads in Europe and the autobahn to make sure this new Forester STI will hold up under normal driving conditions. They then tested the Forester on the Nurburgring 24-hour track under more severe conditions. STI extensively tested the Forester tS with the performance suspension and made it work with the new-generation EyeSight. It took months of testing and many sleepless nights.

pt37
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 05:49 PM
Emeritus Forum Staff

Garage
There is a 16 page procedure for recalibrating EyeSight in the factory service manual.

Also, in the "interview" that you would be given when reporting an EyeSight related problem, it specifically asks if any modifications have been made to the suspension.

The procedure is so precise it involves hanging a plumb bob from the Subaru emblems front and back to make sure the vehicle is perfectly level. The margin of error in placement of the plumb bobs is +/- 2 to 4 mm in most cases... it is a very precise procedure.

That said, after thinking about it more, I am guessing your lane departure warning will be off once lowered. Also, your ACC and automatic braking may be impacted, but it likely won't be as obvious.

-

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 06:01 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: XT Forester
Well i have ha my car fully loaded seats down stacked to the roof & towing a trailer of about 400kgs so it must have dropped the ride height somewhat prob close to an inch on the rear & my eyesight kept working fine especially on the auto cruise control.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoJosh View Post
There is a 16 page procedure for recalibrating EyeSight in the factory service manual.

Also, in the "interview" that you would be given when reporting an EyeSight related problem, it specifically asks if any modifications have been made to the suspension.

The procedure is so precise it involves hanging a plumb bob from the Subaru emblems front and back to make sure the vehicle is perfectly level. The margin of error in placement of the plumb bobs is +/- 2 to 4 mm in most cases... it is a very precise procedure.

That said, after thinking about it more, I am guessing your lane departure warning will be off once lowered. Also, your ACC and automatic braking may be impacted, but it likely won't be as obvious.
It seems that I have to re-think lowering my car now :-(

post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIX36 View Post
Well i have ha my car fully loaded seats down stacked to the roof & towing a trailer of about 400kgs so it must have dropped the ride height somewhat prob close to an inch on the rear & my eyesight kept working fine especially on the auto cruise control.
Good to know. Maybe a very mild drop will not affect eyesight.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 08:05 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: '15
Car Model: XT
Just to play devils advocate here,

If you drop thee front and rear exactly the same amount so that the stock "vector" is maintained, I don't see how you can have an issue that you would notice.

I mean what happens when you pick up that certain someone at the airport that has 1000lbs of luggage? Eyesight doesn't stop working.

With the Forester Ts, they changed the suspension, tires, wheels and brakes. So they tweaked eyesight as well.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novablue View Post
Just to play devils advocate here,

If you drop thee front and rear exactly the same amount so that the stock "vector" is maintained, I don't see how you can have an issue that you would notice.

I mean what happens when you pick up that certain someone at the airport that has 1000lbs of luggage? Eyesight doesn't stop working.

With the Forester Ts, they changed the suspension, tires, wheels and brakes. So they tweaked eyesight as well.
Good idea. I am going to shop spring again. :-)
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 07:38 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: F-XT
As an fyi: I installed the Mann Engineering spring a on my 2014 FXT Touring + Eyesight, and there haven't been any error lights or warnings going off. The Eyesight seems to be working as I came up to a stopped vehicle rather quickly tonight and the brake module began its normal cycling as usual. So I know it's working as usual. From a stability standpoint, I can't say I've been in a sufficiently compromising situation yet that would cause the stability system to activate. I did take a couple offramps briskly, but, the car was not out of shape to trigger anything. Only a mild understeer.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckboy View Post
As an fyi: I installed the Mann Engineering spring a on my 2014 FXT Touring + Eyesight, and there haven't been any error lights or warnings going off. The Eyesight seems to be working as I came up to a stopped vehicle rather quickly tonight and the brake module began its normal cycling as usual. So I know it's working as usual. From a stability standpoint, I can't say I've been in a sufficiently compromising situation yet that would cause the stability system to activate. I did take a couple offramps briskly, but, the car was not out of shape to trigger anything. Only a mild understeer.
Thank you so much for the information
I ordered the Mann's as well. Waiting ....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Driver-Assist Technology and EyeSight