4Likes

post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2018
Car Model: forester tour 2.0XT
Transmission: turbo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
city driving w/eyesight

Can someone please tell me exactly how eyesight works in city driving. when I am driving around 25mph, coming up on a car I am not getting any warning signal that obstacle in the way. there were a few close calls, I came very close to a car and still no warning. took it to dealer today, they took it for a test drive and said it is working fine. The times that it worked, I got quick warning then the car applies brakes, there was no time for me to reacted. I thought the purpose of eyesight is to warn you in enough time so you can react and if you don't reacted in enough time then the car will brake? Maybe I am miss understanding how it works.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 04:46 PM
Forum Member

You're missing it.

Eyesight does two things. 1) Emergency braking that you're describing and 2) ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control).
The Emergency braking comes on very late, as in last second, to prevent a crash. Most often by the time it beeps it's already braking since you're going to crash it it waits any longer. It's not 100% guaranteed to prevent a crash so I wouldn't test it often without your foot on the brake ready to act. Most drivers think it's not working because you have to be very close or aggressive before it kicks in (depending on speed difference to the vehicle in front). The only time is gives much warning is if you're following a car that's suddenly slows fast to turn (large speed delta). I suggest the best way to test it is when following a car that is going to turn and if you have enough room on the shoulder to avoid a crash try this - keep going like you're going to crash into the back of the turning car without touching the brakes, than at the last possible moment turn right to go around. You'll see how it reacts.

The ACC works very smoothly applying brakes in plenty of time if it has a car locked on in front. Acts totally different than the emergency braking.

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 04:49 PM
Forum Member

And if you think about it, it's by design that it waits so long before braking. You don't want a vehicle constantly hitting the brakes for you especially if you're an aggressive driver.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 08:31 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: Forester2.5i Premium
Transmission: CVT
Emergency braking doesn't apply until the "Oh, sh!+!!" moment.

Imagine you're distracted, not looking ahead, and then you look up and there's a stopped car RIGHT THERE in front of you. "Oh, sh!+!" You jam on the brakes and stop, inches away from the other car's back bumper.

That's emergency braking. It its the brakes HARD and suddenly.

Adaptive cruise control is different. It acquires an object ahead that's moving in the same direction and at a significant percentage of the same speed as you, and then moderates the brakes and accelerator to keep the pre-set distance behind it. If it stops, so will you, but in a moderated fashion.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 08:41 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2013
Car Model: 2.5i-L
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctina8 View Post
Can someone please tell me exactly how eyesight works in city driving.
Do you mean adaptive cruise control (ACC), or pre collision braking?

The Eyesight manual warns against using ACC in urban areas. It can take Eyesight 2-3 seconds to react to a new object in its field of view. A car travels 64-93 feet in that time at 35 mph. Also be aware that the cameras only see 12 degrees either side of the centre line which means at the bumper they only see from inboard of the lights, not to the corners. A car can come well into your lane before the cameras pick it up.

Pre collision operates in 3 stages, first it emits an audible and visual warning, followed by moderate braking and then it slams the brakes on full force, probably far harder than you have ever done, unless you take a cancelling action - manually brake, swerve, or accelerate. How long each of those stages lasts depends on the closeness of the object and the speed differential between you and it.

You should not be relying on it to brake for you. Eyesight is designed as a backup for when you make a mistake. It is not an automated braking system, or autopilot. Driving is your job.

If you haven't read the Eyesight manual and watched the DVD, I strongly urge you to do so. It has quirks and limitations you need to be fully aware of. You might also try driving at a few stacked up cardboard, or foam boxes at low speed to see how the system reacts and get used to the warning buzzers, flashing instruments and anti lock brake pulsations.
Yoda_One likes this.

2013 (US 2014) Forester 2.5i-L + Eyesight.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 02:16 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester Premium
If you are asking about the eyesight chime/audible warning, then it depends on the speed you are going at and the distance that you have set between the cars. If EyeSight thinks you are too fast compared to the next car's speed and the distance between the two of you is too little to avoid a crash, then it will chime.

Around me, a lot of impatient left turners. They find a tiny place between the cars and they will turn. Every such time, my car will warn because it sees an obstacle.

If you want to try this, set up some boxes in front of the garage and drive up at 20-30mph towards the boxes.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 04:40 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2019
Car Model: Touring
I had a 2015 with eyesight for 4 years, and now have 2019’s. I have found that the behavior of the 2019 is very different from the 2015.
My 2015 was always warning me when the car in front of me was slow to get out of my way, alerting/braking if necessary. My 2019 is much more forgiving of such things. The 2919 waits longer before reacting, and is scarier but less annoying. When eyesight brakes, it is severe.

2019 Touring -Red
2019 Touring - Green
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2018
Car Model: forester tour 2.0XT
Transmission: turbo
Thank You so much everyone. yes I have read the manual. I had a few close calls and that is why I tried to test it out to see if it was working correctly. I do not rely on it.

Slothman I was speaking of the Pre collision. my car is not doing the 3 stages.

It just does what Rdclark stated.... Emergency braking doesn't apply until the "Oh, sh!+!!" moment. This is why I had to ask, what manual is saying and what my car is doing is 2 different things. when I brought to dealers, first he said sound is low your probably not hearing it or seeing it, I told him I hear all the sounds, then he said you can't use it as a crutch, kept repeating that...I'm not using as crutch.... He kept talking over me and was not really listening to what I was saying. When they took it for a test drive he came back and told me it was working fine and also was works in cruise control, again I tried telling him I didn't have a problem with it working in cruise control.

Moneyjack I have tried in the city and highway, I would drive closer and closer to a car at different speeds to see if I would hear or see visual warning. I would come so close without any (chimes) warning or visual that i would hit the breaks.

PearlWhite that is exactly what my car does (Pre Collision) "Most often by the time it beeps it's already braking" My car has never done the 3 stages that Slothman speaks of.

So how do you argue with a dealership when in Pre Collision its not doing the stages and just doing Oh sh+!! moments, when they don't seem to know the correct way of how it works.

but for argument sake I am going to try the boxes also!!
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 08:52 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmw15 View Post
I had a 2015 with eyesight for 4 years, and now have 2019’s. I have found that the behavior of the 2019 is very different from the 2015.
My 2015 was always warning me when the car in front of me was slow to get out of my way, alerting/braking if necessary. My 2019 is much more forgiving of such things. The 2919 waits longer before reacting, and is scarier but less annoying. When eyesight brakes, it is severe.
What you’re describing is probably the difference between the first and second generation eyesight systems. The second generation came to the Forester in 2017 MY. The big change was from black and white to color cameras.

https://www.torquenews.com/1084/all-...hat-s-big-deal
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 09:00 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Touring with Eyesigh
What he said
@ctina8 The Dealership spoke person was telling the truth BUT you really not understanding or you are not liking the answer.
There is only one truth but sometimes we do not want to accept it but it still doesn't change the results.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul

Last edited by Yoda_One; 05-26-2019 at 09:07 AM.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 02:43 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2013
Car Model: 2.5i-L
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctina8 View Post
Slothman I was speaking of the Pre collision. my car is not doing the 3 stages.

According to pages 33 and 34 of what I believe is the 2019 EyeSight manual (PDF) it should do, although the first two stages may be very short in some situations.

I suggest you get a second opinion from another dealer if possible.

2013 (US 2014) Forester 2.5i-L + Eyesight.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 03:30 PM
New User

2019 Forester Premium
I can be in stop and go traffic with adaptive cruise control on- no matter what speed. It will slow me all the way down. If the car is stopped, it will beep at me to tell me to give it gas and go then the adaptive cruise keeps following and breaking as needed.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 04:14 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonaz19forester View Post
2019 Forester Premium
I can be in stop and go traffic with adaptive cruise control on- no matter what speed. It will slow me all the way down. If the car is stopped, it will beep at me to tell me to give it gas and go then the adaptive cruise keeps following and breaking as needed.
I think it’s important to differentiate a couple of different issues being discussed in this thread.
(1) Following a car at normal speeds when the leading car slows to a stop. The eyesight system works in that situation and will slow the car to a complete stop and will even start accelerating again of the lead car quickly begins moving again.
(2) Approaching stopped cars from high speeds. This is where the eyesight isn’t designed to operate to gently slow the vehicle. Instead it will wait until the “oh sh*% moment and slam on the brakes.”
CrystalPistol likes this.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 06:15 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester2.5i Premium
Part of the confusion stems from car manufacturers, including Subaru, reluctant to use industry-wide common labeling for these systems. "Eyesight" is not a feature: it's a brand name for a suite of features each with a different function.

Consumer Reports is leading an effort to create generic, industry-wide nomenclature for these features. https://advocacy.consumerreports.org...-nomenclature/

They note that across brands one such common feature has many different names (and the same is true for all the other features; this is just one example):
Automatic emergency braking
Active braking
Active safe
Autonomous emergency braking
Collision mitigation
Forward-collision mitigation system
Forward emergency braking
Front automatic braking
Full auto brake
Intelligent brake assist
Pre sense front
Pre-collision assist
Pre-collision braking
Pre-collision system
Smart brake support

Along with CR, AAA also advocates adoption of naming conventions for these features, arguing that the confusion over what they are and what they do is itself a safety threat: https://www.npr.org/2019/01/25/68838...sing-aaa-finds

It's no surprise that so many owners find themselves unclear on exactly how their new cars work when it comes to automation and safety. And never has it been more important to RTFM.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 06:22 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2016
Car Model: Foz
Quote:
Originally Posted by slothman View Post
Eyesight is designed as a backup for when you make a mistake. It is not an automated braking system, or autopilot. Driving is your job.
This!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Driver-Assist Technology and EyeSight

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode