('19+) Adaptive cruise/EyeSight not recognizing stopped traffic - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

22Likes

post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2019
Car Model: Forester Touring
Transmission: AWD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Adaptive cruise/EyeSight not recognizing stopped traffic

I have a brand new 2019 Forester Touring, fully loaded with some extras (my 1st Subaru). I've had many early issues and numerous trips back to the shop, most recently to have the entire infotainment system replaced after updates only worsened literally dozens of issues, some safety-related but mostly annoying 'bugs' that weren't allowing me full or proper use of the features. I'm not sure if what I'm writing about here is a separate issue or still part of an ongoing technical issue with the car itself since some issues were fixed by the most recent repair/replacement deck... but 100% of the time, when I'm using the adaptive cruise and relying on EyeSight to sense slowed/stopped traffic ahead, it's not working. While it will pace OK with traffic while the cars ahead are in motion, anytime the traffic has come to a complete stop (at any speed including full highway speed) it will barrell toward the stopped cars at full speed and there's no way I'm going to let it go to see if it stops me pre-crash. If I didn't take over and brake in those last seconds I believe it would continue at FULL speed endlessly toward the stopped traffic (which we get a lot around the DC metro area). It's like if the traffic is stopped vs slowed, it doesn't sense it at all-- even to slow down, let alone stop. Is anyone else having this issue? I found numerous similar reports over the years on other forums for older models but the 2019 Forester is of course a 'new' car in many respects and there don't seem to be many reports on this that I've found. Thanks for any help or input!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 09:36 AM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieGirl19 View Post
I have a brand new 2019 Forester Touring, fully loaded with some extras (my 1st Subaru). I've had many early issues and numerous trips back to the shop, most recently to have the entire infotainment system replaced after updates only worsened literally dozens of issues, some safety-related but mostly annoying 'bugs' that weren't allowing me full or proper use of the features. I'm not sure if what I'm writing about here is a separate issue or still part of an ongoing technical issue with the car itself since some issues were fixed by the most recent repair/replacement deck... but 100% of the time, when I'm using the adaptive cruise and relying on EyeSight to sense slowed/stopped traffic ahead, it's not working. While it will pace OK with traffic while the cars ahead are in motion, anytime the traffic has come to a complete stop (at any speed including full highway speed) it will barrell toward the stopped cars at full speed and there's no way I'm going to let it go to see if it stops me pre-crash. If I didn't take over and brake in those last seconds I believe it would continue at FULL speed endlessly toward the stopped traffic (which we get a lot around the DC metro area). It's like if the traffic is stopped vs slowed, it doesn't sense it at all-- even to slow down, let alone stop. Is anyone else having this issue? I found numerous similar reports over the years on other forums for older models but the 2019 Forester is of course a 'new' car in many respects and there don't seem to be many reports on this that I've found. Thanks for any help or input!
Have a 19 Touring here. I've never seen this issue. Mine works perfectly. I guess what confuses me is how you say it's able to "pace OK with traffic while the cars ahead are in motion" yet you say it won't stop if they come to a complete stop? How is this possible? If it's keeping pace with them and they slow down does it slow down? If so and they slow further to a stop does it stop?

I get the sense you're describing something different. If the eyesight doesn't already have a car locked onto, not tracking, and you suddenly catch a stopped car, than yes, it may not work, stopping smoothly, as it's not designed for this. I believe the manual, I could be wrong, states there's a 30MPH speed difference limit. If it's not already locked on and you catch a stopped car then the emergency breaking will occur at the last second but not 100% going to stop you quick enough every time.

There are basically two modes.

Mode 1) Adaptive Cruise Control - Smooth tracking and speed matching when locked onto a vehicle in front all the way down to a smooth stop.
Mode 2) Oh **** emergency braking - when suddenly approaching a stopped vehicle it emergency brakes at the last split second. Not dependent on ACC.

What mode above are you having issues with?

post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 10:18 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: CVT
Re stopped objects, try this... pull into your garage and see if EyeSight warns you about the wall... you can stack some empty boxes before the wall to make it alarm sooner. My '15 Forester always flashes red when I get too close to the wall - effectively a parking alarm. :) This happens even from just letting go of the brake and let the car pull forward on idle.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Transmission: AWD
@PearlWhite and @phwang7 -- thanks for your replies and trying to help. @PearlWhite ... Let me try to clarify: When I'm driving on cruise control and the traffic ahead is moving (pretty much at any speed I've tested it at, but I know it's supposed to be >30 mph) it does fine, and slows and speeds up to pace based on the distance I've set it for. But let's say I see the traffic ahead is at a dead stand-still and I'm on cruise control -- the car will continue at even full highway speed toward those stopped cars, as if it's not recognizing they are even there. I've cautiously let it go until it was uncomfortably close before braking myself -- but it sure feels like it would hit them without ever even reducing speed (I'm obviously not testing that at 60 mph or so, but it doesn't even slow at all as it's approaching). If they are moving and slowed way down, it seems to slow down accordingly-- but maybe as @phwang67 said, the Eyesight may not even be stopping me regardless. I'm going to try something like what he suggested tomorrow since now that I'm thinking about it, I'm not so sure it's working as it should, and that might be where the issue is coming from (the EyeSight, not the cruise). I'll report back within a day or so of experimenting.

I should also mention in another post when I joined this forum I described my car being a possible "lemon" -- having had countless (as in many dozens) of issues since I picked it up at 11 miles (now slightly over 1,000). After many service visits and failed updates, they replaced the infotainment system which resolved at least many of the buggy electronic things that were not allowing me to fully utilize many of the car's features. But some were safety-related from the start (although maybe not tied to the deck), where for example it hadn't been functioning correctly with the driver recognition (now better with the last fixes) and would suddenly recognize me and shift the driver's seat position while at speed (pretty scary when you don't know how far the seat is going to move or how tight the belt will get while potentially on a highway, let alone at any speed). The list is pretty long, but anything "safety" vs "buggy" is a big deal and since it's a brand new car, I sure want to be sure there's nothing wrong 'out of the box.' I just want to be confident there's still not a bigger issue.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 12:17 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2012
Car Model: Forester X
Transmission: Auto
@SubieGirl19 - Wow - Sounds like a royal pain.
The last place you want to visit after a new car is the dealership over and over and over and...
You (and others) have convinced me not to upgrade. I wouldn't tolerate half the issues you had in a new car.

Subaru never had a strong suit in the electronics arena, and unfortunately, most of the buggy electronics are no longer avoidable options.
I think Subaru decided to skip the test phase completion before implementation.

At least your EyeSight didn't decide to emergency brake on a clear highway as reported by a poster on this site.
If it happens to you, be sure to report the incident to someone besides the dealer. IIHS might be a good choice.
Actually, your issue sounds like the opposite.

I hope you get your issues worked out, but if you don't, your sheer volume of dealer visits may let you get out from under the car.
In any case, good luck.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 09:50 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester Limited
Is the Eyesight system "locked on" to the stopped car (i.e. shows a second vehicle on the secondary display on top of the dash and on the small screen in between the tach and the speedometer)? I've noticed when I'm cruising and I come up behind a slower car I have to get kind of uncomfortably close to the slower vehicle in front of me before Eyesight will lock on and then react, particularly if the speed differential is large - like a car stopped and waiting to turn left and I'm cruising at 50 or so. The manual says Eyesight should be able to detect 360 feet in front of your vehicle in optimal conditions. Even at only 40 MPH you'll cover that in about 6 seconds. Most people's driving habits are probably having them react to stopped traffic well before they're only 300 feet from it, certainly at least taking your foot off the gas and coasting as soon as you see a stopped vehicle. Can be pretty unnerving if the vehicle is still accelerating even though you recognize you're going to have to stop soon.

Overall I'd say adaptive cruise probably isn't well suited for this situation. It just can't see far enough ahead to be able to detect the stopped vehicle and react appropriately when the speed differential is more than 30 MPH or so.

Also, I'm not a stickler for the manual telling me how to drive, but it does kind of clearly state that Adaptive Cruise Control shouldn't be used in these type of traffic jam scenarios ("Traffic conditions when frequent acceleration and deceleration make it difficult to maintain the following distance").
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 10:34 AM
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I normally don't lead with "read the manual, please" but I think it's a good idea, before you hurt someone.

Adaptive cruise control assists you while travelling along on the highway with other cars going around the same speed as you. It's designed for you to pace the car in front of you, allowing you to comfortably keep pace with traffic without manually adjusting your speed. Yes, recently the system has improved so that if the pace slows to a stop, Eyesight will stop you behind the car in front and move forward again when you hit resume.

IT IS NOT AUTOPILOT!

If you're cruising along at 50mph, without any traffic in front of you, and you are coming up to a red light where everyone is stopped, 100 times out of 100 times you are going to plow into those cars, with Eyesight slamming on the brakes at the last moment to try to minimize the inevitable impact.

Think about this situation in an older car. If your cruise control was set at 50mph, you'll have to hit the brakes yourself, or you'll meet those cars at 50mph. You are the driver, you are in control. This same thought process NEEDS to be applied to ALL driving situations in an Eyesight-equipped car. You are the driver, you are in control. Eyesight is purely an assistant, to take some of the more tedious parts of cruise control driving out of the equation.

Again, IT IS NOT AUTOPILOT.

Please, please educate yourself on these complicated systems before you get hurt, or hurt others.
Fate, slothman, frijoles and 1 others like this.

2019 Subaru Ascent Touring CWP
2015 XT Touring- Fake STI -Sold
Subaru Ambassador
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 01:38 PM
Forum Member

I think the solution to this issue is for the OP to find someone (hopefully a relative) that he does not like and ask them for help with the problem by standing in front of the vehicle to see if it auto stops. He wins both ways. If it works, he is good; If it doesn't he is also good (maybe better)
Q-man13 likes this.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 03:07 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: 2.5i Touring
Transmission: CVT + EyeSight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz007 View Post
recently the system has improved so that if the pace slows to a stop, Eyesight will stop you behind the car in front and move forward again when you hit resume.
Nothing recent about this. My 2014 Touring does exactly this. In adaptive cruise control mode, it will gently slow down and stop behind a stopped car. It will gently accelerate when that car moves forward.

If an EyeSight-equipped car is not behaving like this in ACC mode, it is broken. Given the other reported issues, I think the OP got a lemon.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 03:23 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: Forester sti
Transmission: M6
Good point. Driver assist is becoming a significant safety issue, up to and including autopilot systems. How do we train driver skills in handover situations, which by definition occur when complexity has increased? Sure, I'll just exit my video/email/daydream/sudoku/nail-picking and instantly have full situation awareness.

post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 05:36 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonSubie7 View Post
@SubieGirl19 - Wow - Sounds like a royal pain.
The last place you want to visit after a new car is the dealership over and over and over and...
You (and others) have convinced me not to upgrade. I wouldn't tolerate half the issues you had in a new car.
The OP is wanting the Eyesight system to stop the vehicle in a situation that the Eyesight is not designed for. There’s nothing wrong with it. It operates just as it’s designed to do.

The OP sees fully stopped vehicles up ahead yet continues to barrel down the road in hopes Eyesight will stop the vehicle.
It very well could stop it but unless Eyesight has locked into a target it will not slow down.
I have come across this scenario many times in city traffic. Adaptive Cruise set at 60mph and no target lock. Come up to redlight with vehicles stopped. I know my Eyesight, even with full bars selected, will possibly not slow down enough nor in time once a target is locked. Solution? Press down on the brake pedal.

The OP also may want to double check the amount of “bars” used during Adaptive Cruise operations.
In any case, Eyesight has worked flawlessly for my in various condition. We do need to pay attention to the limits of this technology however.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 04:58 AM
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket J Squirrel View Post
Nothing recent about this. My 2014 Touring does exactly this. In adaptive cruise control mode, it will gently slow down and stop behind a stopped car. It will gently accelerate when that car moves forward.
As long as that car moves again within 3 seconds or so, correct? My 2015 was the same way. If you are stopped longer, other older gens will beep and you'll just start rolling forward. The newer cars have improved upon this, as they have Auto Vehicle Hold, so they will stay stopped as long as needed, and simply require a tap of the "Resume" button after a set amount of time sitting to continue moving.

2019 Subaru Ascent Touring CWP
2015 XT Touring- Fake STI -Sold
Subaru Ambassador
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 05:04 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz007 View Post

As long as that car moves again within 3 seconds or so, correct? My 2015 was the same way. If you are stopped longer, other older gens will beep and you'll just start rolling forward. The newer cars have improved upon this, as they have Auto Vehicle Hold, so they will stay stopped as long as needed, and simply require a tap of the "Resume" button after a set amount of time sitting to continue moving.
Correct, with the addition of tapping the brake or the accelerator pedal. Any combination of those will resume. Also, if vehicle is stopped for a certain period of time it will automatically apply the e-Brake. Safety reasons I suppose.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 06:15 AM
Forum Member

The OP still hasn't answered the question of if the ACC shows a car locked on or not when it fails to come to a smooth stop.
CrystalPistol likes this.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 06:58 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester Premium
Transmission: Lineartronic® CVT
Garage
Here’s a pull from subaru.com:
The Automatic Pre-Collision Braking feature can even apply full braking force and bring you to a complete stop in emergency situations.[4]

The [4] link further states:
EyeSight is a driver-assist system that may not operate optimally under all driving conditions. The Pre-Collision Braking System is designed to provide automatic braking that either prevents a collision or reduces the severity of a frontal impact. The driver is always responsible for safe and attentive driving.

Your vehicle’s EyeSight might be operating as intended, or not. My feeling is that I’d need to experience it first hand and I don’t see that happening. What does the dealer say? Have you driven a different ‘19 Forester to compared how it behaves?

- Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Driver-Assist Technology and EyeSight

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode