post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: Automatic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1" lift OK with these tires?

I'm new to this. Bear with me.

I'm looking to install ADF's 1 inch lift (with the 1 3/8 rear lift option) on my '14 Forester.

Is it true that the lift would actually create LESS space between the tires and the wheel well surface? I had always assumed that a lift would provide more space - not less.

The reason I'm concerned is that I have slightly larger tires (P225/65R17) than what came with the vehicle. Would having a 1 inch lift cause problems with these tires?

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 07:07 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: XT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Not completely sure with your tire size as I run 235/65r17, but yes you will get less space. The rear wheels move closer to the front of the car the higher they are lifted. Just the way the geometry of the rear suspension works. Stock height with 235/65r17 was very close to rubbing on my car. After lift with multilink spacers I have more breathing room.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Again, I'm a newbie to all of this so please forgive my ignorance but I still don't understand.
You mentioned that you got more breathing room with your lift. How? I thought you also said that a lift would give you less space.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

I guess what I am asking is .... what is the least expensive method (assuming a method exists) of getting a 1 inch or so lift while also gaining (or at least not losing) space within the wheel well?

Thank you tremendously for your help. I appreciate it beyond words.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 10:00 AM
Forum Member

I got more breathing room because I have subframe spacers. If you throw the tires on without a lift you'll see that the tires will move forward just a bit. Since my tire size is around 29", I was essentially lifting the suspension around 3/4" already and you could see how the rear wheels were beginning to move closer to the wheel well. Then I added a lift and subframe spacers. The spacers we're necessary to gain the breathing room. Hope that makes sense.

Hopefully someone can chime in with your specific setup. Also, what brand tires are you planning to run? All the different brands fit differently as well. Sorry I can't be as helpful because I have a 2" lift with subframe spacers and larger tires. All I can add is that setup definitely wouldn't have worked on 235/65r17.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 10:21 AM
Forum Member

I re-read your first post. Do you already have the tires installed? Do you have a pic?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 11:23 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Transmission: Manual
I wish I had Before/After pics, but I don't ;( At any rate, I did what you said: 1"F, 1-3/8"R lift, spacers only. Definitely moved the rear tires closer to the front of the wheel well. There is more space above and behind now. As @tayunz says, you need a subframe spacer kit to move the wheels back into the center of the well - only then do you get more space.

I wasn't trying to run bigger rubber, so didn't matter to me, but figured since I did exactly what you were thinking about, i would chime in.

There is a good video about it ... but my google-foo failed me.

If I were to do it all over again ... I would get the full kit ( spings, spacers, sub frame etc ). do it once, do it right and yes, unfortunately, it isn't as cheap as just some strut spacers.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayunz View Post
I re-read your first post. Do you already have the tires installed? Do you have a pic?
I've had the tires installed for a little over half a year. They are Geolandar AT G015. I LOVE them. I don't have a pic at the moment.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcpunk View Post
I wish I had Before/After pics, but I don't ;( At any rate, I did what you said: 1"F, 1-3/8"R lift, spacers only. Definitely moved the rear tires closer to the front of the wheel well. There is more space above and behind now. As @tayunz says, you need a subframe spacer kit to move the wheels back into the center of the well - only then do you get more space.

I wasn't trying to run bigger rubber, so didn't matter to me, but figured since I did exactly what you were thinking about, i would chime in.

If I were to do it all over again ... I would get the full kit ( spings, spacers, sub frame etc ). do it once, do it right and yes, unfortunately, it isn't as cheap as just some strut spacers.

I wish there was some way I could precisely determine how much space I'd have left if I installed the spacers only. My budget only allows for the purchase of the spacers. If they would fit (when carrying a heavy load) I'd love to get them.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 10:23 AM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcpunk View Post

Are you running stock tire size @slcpunk ?

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Do you have a pic?

I do now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4724.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	510999  
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 08:22 AM
Forum Member

Idk that looks like it's already pretty close. It'll only get closer. This pick does show the benefit of adding spacers to the subframe. I'll snap some pics of my rig to illustrate.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Idk that looks like it's already pretty close. It'll only get closer. This pick does show the benefit of adding spacers to the subframe. I'll snap some pics of my rig to illustrate.

Thanks. Looking forward to seeing the pics
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 09:19 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2011
Car Model: Forester my2012
Transmission: manual 5
Cheapest way,at least with an SH, is to mount the 1 inch spacers and modify the plastic cover of the wheelwell in front of the wheel.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subeornotbe View Post
Cheapest way,at least with an SH, is to mount the 1 inch spacers and modify the plastic cover of the wheelwell in front of the wheel.

Thanks but that just begs the question as to how to modify the plastic cover of the wheelwell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Suspension and Handling > Offroad Suspension

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode