('14-'18) 1" ADF? Saggy Butt need Multilink spacer? - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By SuBooneru

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2018
Car Model: Forester 2.5i
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1" ADF? Saggy Butt need Multilink spacer? Anyone have pics?

Hey guys, I'm compiling a wishlist right now and a lift is definitely on there.

Context
I want to do under 2" because I've only offroaded 4 times since the 6 months I've owned the car. I'd rather not put the extra wear. Also I'm not interested in testing my limits because this is my DD and only car.

I'm leaning towards 1" because it's significantly cheaper and I won't have to deal with the multi link spacer. I mostly just want the lift for a piece of mind and better approach departure angles. I have a steep driveway and I scrape my rear bumper a little if I'm fully loaded.

Questions
1. Is 10" of ground clearance good enough for green and blue trails? I know it depends on trails but do you think I could do 80% of them?

2. If I get the saggy butt spacers, my lift would be 1 and 3/8 in the rear. Would I need the 1.5" Multi link spacers?

3. Is there a visual difference with saggy butt spacers? Does it affect aerodynamics unloaded? I'd imagine my roof racks would make more noise.

4. ADF reasoning for HPDE 1" spacers is because its not thick enough to justify aluminum. 1.5" is made of aluminum but not the 1-3/8". Would I expect any problems?

5. How does a 1" lift look? Is it noticeable?

Last edited by RaspyRadish; 05-30-2018 at 09:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 01:18 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: 2.5i Premium
Transmission: CVT
Garage
No need for a multilink spacer with just an inch.
And this will sound funny, but if you use an inch spacer lift you'll actually have more ground clearance than a 1.5, 2.0, or even a 2in front and 2 3/8 rear kit.
Well in one spot anyway. Anything over an inch requires the multilink spacer to keep yur rear axle mostly centered to avoid tire rub. It does that by lowering your differential. So your 2 inch lift, has a spacer that lowers your rear differential by 2 inches. See the issue? Everything but the rear differential will be higher, but the rear differential will still be the same as stock 8.7 inches.
Of course this does prevent any extra wear on your rear CV joints and boots since they are stock lol

I've wondered if mixing parts would do it. Use a 2 inch kit, or maybe the 2" front/2 3/8 rear, and only use a 1 inch multilink spacer. That would still keep the wheels centered enough, and raise the diff an inch.

If you do the 1 3/8 inch rear, do not get the 1.5 multi link!

It might be a better solution for you to get one of the heavy duty rear springs. The King Springs are about 30% stiffer, and I think the Cusco are 10% stiffer. That with a 1 inch lift might do what you are looking for.
A saggy butt spacer won't give you any extra carrying capacity, you'll just be bottomed out higher. A lift and stiffer springs will still give you some suspension travel. The Kings are going to be very noticeable though, a little harder ride.

Last edited by Unicorn; 05-24-2018 at 01:40 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Thanks for all the information, but I'm not looking for a harsher ride. The area I live in doesn't have nice roads

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 11:06 PM
Contributing Member

Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Unicorn- That is interesting. Never totally understood the multi-link spacer, but I guess what you said makes sense. It seems that even if the differential is the same height and your lowest spot, remaining at OEM height, that you still are making gains in other areas with a +1" multilink lift. Like the body should be higher and approach/departure angles will still increase right?

I could have sworn that my rear diff gained clearance when I did a 1.0" spacer + multilink lift on my 14 though. Thought I measured it close to 10" from the ground there. I was running a 1.0" spacer lift plus the multilink because I was running larger tires over 29.0" in diameter

If you run a certain amount larger than OEM tire you could rub or be cutting it really close to rubbing the tires in the rear with just a 1.0" spacer lift and might still need the rear multilink spacers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Hey SuBooneru, about to bombard you with questions.

Are you running only a 1" lift besides the multi link lift? Why did you get the multilink lift? Did you ever wish you went with a thicker spacer?

Where'd you get a 1" multilink spacer lift. I'm only running and planning to run a 28".
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn View Post
If you do the 1 3/8 inch rear, do not get the 1.5 multi link!
Any particular reason why not too other than the fact I'll lose ground clearance? I'm just worried about not having my wheel centered.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 04:40 AM
Contributing Member

Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaspyRadish View Post
Hey SuBooneru, about to bombard you with questions.

Are you running only a 1" lift besides the multi link lift? Why did you get the multilink lift? Did you ever wish you went with a thicker spacer?

Where'd you get a 1" multilink spacer lift. I'm only running and planning to run a 28".
I was running the 1" spacer and multilink lift from Primitive Racing on my 14 XT. Got the multilink too because I was running 29.1" diameter tires. Maybe didn't have to, but it would have been close and didn't want to risk it. Also ended up adding a 3/8" spacers on top of the regular 1" lift later on.

I think you should be able to fit the 28" diameter tires with just the 1.0" lift and no multilink. I have an 18 XT now with the same tires, but no lift and now trying to decide, which route to go. Thinking about either going 1.5" or 2", so I will need the multilink either way.
RaspyRadish likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Did you feel as if the 1" lift was not enough?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 07:28 PM
Forum Member

Garage
The biggest risk of rubbing is not with the fenders... unfortunately. It's the spring perches on the struts. With the BFG KO2 225/65R17 I had less than a half inch distance from my tire to the perch. Those tires are 28.5 inches in diameter. Lift or no lift, the distance to the perch makes no difference.

I've seen a lot of people run 28s with just a 1 inch lift and no multi link.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 07:29 PM
Forum Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuBooneru View Post
Unicorn- That is interesting. Never totally understood the multi-link spacer, but I guess what you said makes sense. It seems that even if the differential is the same height and your lowest spot, remaining at OEM height, that you still are making gains in other areas with a +1" multilink lift. Like the body should be higher and approach/departure angles will still increase right?

I could have sworn that my rear diff gained clearance when I did a 1.0" spacer + multilink lift on my 14 though. Thought I measured it close to 10" from the ground there. I was running a 1.0" spacer lift plus the multilink because I was running larger tires over 29.0" in diameter

If you run a certain amount larger than OEM tire you could rub or be cutting it really close to rubbing the tires in the rear with just a 1.0" spacer lift and might still need the rear multilink spacers.
Yeah, in the rear it's almost like a simple body lift. So it does reduce hitting the rear bumper a bit.

As I said on another post, the biggest point of rubbing is the spring perches. If it were the fender the other option would be to roll them or cut them and put on flares... which would look pretty cool I think.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 08:31 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: Automatic
What did you end up doing? did you use the multi link spacers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Suspension and Handling > Offroad Suspension

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode