('14-'18) OEM exhaust bracket breaking/snapping causing rattle noise. - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By KLEMMER

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 05:15 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2016
Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Transmission: Lineartronic CVT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
OEM exhaust bracket breaking/snapping causing rattle noise.

Hello folks!

Today I bring you an issue that happened twice to my 2016 XT. I did a search on the forums but did not find anyone having a similar problem for the same generation Forester XT that I have. If I missed previous posts, I apologize in advance for reposting.

My problem is that an exhaust bracket, just a single metal piece that bolts on the exhaust and the car, keeps snapping and making rattling noises under the right amount of throttle.

I had the dealership replace it under warranty the first time around. They tried to pull a fast one on me and make me pay for it (almost $100) saying that the part was not actually covered under the 3 year/36,000 miles warranty but I was having none of that BS. The part seems like its $6-7 and not that difficult to undo the nuts/bolts on the bracket. I'm out of warranty not (@ 39,000 miles) so I have to take care of it myself this time.

But does anyone have this problem? How can I get rid of this problem other than continuing to replace the bracket every 12-18 months? Really annoying.

I haven't taken a good look under the car this time around but I'll take a picture of it as soon as I get some extra time.

Currently:
16 FXT, 16 ODYSSEY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 06:28 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

In the meantime, I had highlighted with a PURPLE OVAL the part that is breaking.
First picture, using a picture from fellow forum member creavation. If you don't want me using it, let me know, I'll remove it.

Currently:
16 FXT, 16 ODYSSEY
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 10:43 PM
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2018
Transmission: CVT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Interesting. I've got a weird rattle that happens on cold startup when the idle is high and sometimes on initial throttle input. Wonder if this bracket is the culprit. I'll have to take a look.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 03:05 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2017
Car Model: Forester XT Premium
Garage
Solospeed101

You may want to check for broken or damaged motor or CVT mounts.
Solospeed101 likes this.

2017 XT Premium QBP
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuBooneru View Post
Interesting. I've got a weird rattle that happens on cold startup when the idle is high and sometimes on initial throttle input. Wonder if this bracket is the culprit. I'll have to take a look.
It took me a while to find out about the noise because I usually just drive with music on. But to me it seemed that the noise was more prominent and noticeable when the car was warmed up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLEMMER View Post
Solospeed101

You may want to check for broken or damaged motor or CVT mounts.
I'll check those as preventative measures but...

I did find the culprit. Finally got time to crawl under the car and check out the bracket and look what I find!? It seems that the dealer did a hack job. Instead of replacing the $6 part, they just glued or used a washer to hold the two pieces together. What crap job...

(Sorry for the extreme close up. Just used ramps and crawled under the car)

Never going back to that dealership for a Subaru. Sucks because Johnson Subaru in Cary, NC were one of the very small number of dealerships that I thought were ok to deal with. But I guess I was wrong. Made sure I left a review on Facebook, Yelp, Google so no one has to deal with this sorry excuse of a service department.

I guess, I'll order the part and replace it myself...

Currently:
16 FXT, 16 ODYSSEY

Last edited by Solospeed101; 04-20-2018 at 04:22 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 10:10 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: XT
That's a new one.

I cant see any washer? that nut is spot welded to the bracket. As the member above said, get the mounts and fixings checked, don't forget about the pitch mount too.

Are you the first owner? is it hard driven etc? been in any accidents?

Maybe contact SOA they may know a fix or at least replace it again foc? after all, it is a repeat repair that has already been replaced under warranty.

ISLE OF MAN TT. Because Real Sport Takes Two Balls
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 10:58 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: Forester 2.5i
Transmission: 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solospeed101 View Post
It took me a while to find out about the noise because I usually just drive with music on. But to me it seemed that the noise was more prominent and noticeable when the car was warmed up.

I'll check those as preventative measures but...

I did find the culprit. Finally got time to crawl under the car and check out the bracket and look what I find!? It seems that the dealer did a hack job. Instead of replacing the $6 part, they just glued or used a washer to hold the two pieces together. What crap job...

(Sorry for the extreme close up. Just used ramps and crawled under the car)

Never going back to that dealership for a Subaru. Sucks because Johnson Subaru in Cary, NC were one of the very small number of dealerships that I thought were ok to deal with. But I guess I was wrong. Made sure I left a review on Facebook, Yelp, Google so no one has to deal with this sorry excuse of a service department.

I guess, I'll order the part and replace it myself...
If you're talking about the square nut that is welded in place, there is nothing wrong with that. That square nut is welded to a bracket that serves as a rigid exhaust mount. The exhaust is held to it using a bolt that threads into the square nut.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 01:22 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: '17
Car Model: Impreza Hatchback
So that nut/bolt is no longer bearing weight (if I have the orientation right, that is the bracket that separated and the connection to the frame is up out of the top of thepicture?) Strange separation!

'17 Impreza HB
previous car: '06 Forester X
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

After I posted this review, the service manager from Johnson Subaru contacted me to figure out what happened. He asked to bring the car in for inspection. After the SM and a Technician took a look at the problem, they were able order a replacement part. Fast forward to last weekend, the part was installed and I was also showed the finished work.

It took a bad review in Yelp, Google, and Facebook. I also happen to know someone pretty high up in the Johnson Automotive hierarchy to get the work repaired.

According to the technician, they don't see this problem often, but they do see it happen every now and then.
On my spare time, I'm looking into designing a replacement part that can get rid of the broken bracket problem. I wonder if there is market interest in something like that...

Currently:
16 FXT, 16 ODYSSEY
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 08:28 PM
New User

Have the same issue on my 2017 2.0 XT. Subaru needs to improve this part.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20190519_164810.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	510227  
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 06:15 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: XT Touring
Just installed a new cat back and mine is broken too. I'm thinking it may be adding to my drone problem. Did the dealer have the part jn stock or did they have to order it? Assuming all dealers carry the same inventory.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Engine and Exhaust > FA20DIT - 2.0L Direct-Injection/Turbocharged (2014+)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode