User Tag List

16Likes

post #31 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-13-2014, 06:15 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester XP
Transmission: Manual!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
So If I don't care for the look, I figure I can drop 25 lbs by going to a single muffler and at the same time maybe add so attitude to the sound.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 09:20 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: automatic
Sometimes I like asymmetry

I realize this is an older thread. I'm not especially fond of symmetry for the sake of it. I'd rather have real metal wheels than fake plastic covers. When it comes to the 2014 Forester XT I'm curious about replacing the dual exhaust with a single exhaust....if there is agreement the duals do nothing for the performance of the car?

Any recommendations? I don't want louder nor drone but I'd rather have a single pipe instead of the posturing of a dual exhaust. Thank you.

8lackie
post #33 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 10:21 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2017
Car Model: Forester XT Premium
Geez, my dual exhaust on my XT isnt fake at all. I start the car and the exhaust exits @ the tips.. whats so hard to get?

post #34 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 01:48 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Forester X Premium
Garage
dual exhaust

It just looks better.
post #35 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 03:18 AM
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Car Model: SBM FXT-T ES
Transmission: TR690GBYCA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lackie View Post
I realize this is an older thread. I'm not especially fond of symmetry for the sake of it. I'd rather have real metal wheels than fake plastic covers. When it comes to the 2014 Forester XT I'm curious about replacing the dual exhaust with a single exhaust....if there is agreement the duals do nothing for the performance of the car?

Any recommendations? I don't want louder nor drone but I'd rather have a single pipe instead of the posturing of a dual exhaust. Thank you.
Without all your other words... just say, "I preferred a single exhaust. And I put one on." If you're really happy with how it turned out, share pictures of your work and any tips you might have learned with others. That's always appreciated.

But there is no posturing going on. Assuming you've read the entire thread, you're obviously not the first to question why, when the Past use of dual exhausts meant probably more power and a V8 under the hood, does this little four banger have duals. Looked at in today's world, however, and you find good reasons why there are dual exhaust outlets, and mostly dual mufflers, on modern cars.

Noise regulation is the major reason. Two mufflers are better than one, all things equal, for minimizing power loss. But our noise regulations give us little choice... either a more restrictive exhaust, a much larger muffler, or dual mufflers to quiet the horses. To replicate the exhaust flow AND sound level of your FXT with a single exhaust you would need a much larger muffler. But where's it going to go? They take up too much space as it is... but that sound-reducing bulk is shifted into two equal symmetrical locations that minimize the impact on storage and interior room.

The manufacturers would love to reduce costs and use one muffler. They can't.

The world thinks that's a good thing, even those who couldn't care less about power or sound levels. Why? Because symmetry is fundamental to life as we know it. Without belaboring the obvious, an otherwise perfectly symmetrical vehicle with dual, symmetrical exhausts, simply looks Right.

A single exhaust on a Forester XT would actually be more "posturing" than the duals. Make it as effective as duals and it will really make a statement... because it will be an obvious alteration... like an eye patch or prosthetic on a living creature.

But if you like it and want it go for it. Just don't try to convince everyone else. Your why's are yours, no explanation needed.
post #36 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 08:04 AM
Forum Member

Knickers in a twist

Goodness! I guess I stepped on some toes. I did read the entire thread, and there seems to be debate whether dual is for anything other than looks or does it infact enhance performance. As the set up is cat back, I don't think my musings are out of line. Yes, the natural world order is symmetry. However asymmetry has a certain flair. It can be viewed as unbalanced or incomplete. But do we all need to agree? This site and others is filled with vanity projects of every shape and size. "How do you like my....?" fill in the blank. There are mountains of people showing their rigs for compliments or who are indecisive about their mods and want to know if others "like" or is it cool enough.

If symmetry is the concern I can always place the exhaust dead center. And.....I never said a thing about "posturing" We're all entitled to like what we like and shouldn't be brow-beaten for it.

8lackie
post #37 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 08:55 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Touring with Eyesigh
Transmission: CVT
Did you read and understand the previous post? If you like to single exhaust then go ahead and post pictures so we can all watch the process. Enjoy the Love.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul
Fate and 8lackie like this.
post #38 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 10:35 AM
Forum Member

Oh my, jump on. So.....a dual exhaust doesn't lend much to performance? Particularly if it is a cat back exhaust? Doubling the mufflers on a single manifold is necessary to keep things quiet? I don't want to change anything if in fact it is utilitarian? If it's for show then I'm not sure why people are getting sore. A'm I being attacked for my aesthetics?

8lackie

Last edited by 8lackie; 04-24-2019 at 10:37 AM. Reason: clarification
post #39 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 01:10 PM
スーパー モデレーター

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: Forester Sports XT
Transmission: 4EAT
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
@8lackie in my opinion, a "true" dual exhaust with ELH - equal length headers will add to the engine performance.
A true dual exhaust has dual runs all the way back to the engine.

As to non-true dual exhaust. It's an appearance thing & I'm going to guess the additional muffler will do a pretty good job of reducing the exhaust sound level.

More poop here: Single Exhaust VS. Dual Exhaust

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]
8lackie likes this.

'07 FSXT - COBB Surgeline dyno stock Protune - Stage 1+
'03 X +AVO turbo kit = XT (son's)
'95 Neon Sport
post #40 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 01:21 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: 2.0 FXT-Touring
Garage
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lackie View Post
Oh my, jump on. So.....a dual exhaust doesn't lend much to performance? Particularly if it is a cat back exhaust? Doubling the mufflers on a single manifold is necessary to keep things quiet? I don't want to change anything if in fact it is utilitarian? If it's for show then I'm not sure why people are getting sore. A'm I being attacked for my aesthetics?
Not in a Forester, no. But in other, more powerful cars? Yes, mostly, but not always. I hope that helped.

Oh yea, having said that, I like the dual exhaust.

8lackie likes this.

I know nothing.
post #41 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 02:57 PM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.5x_sleeper View Post
@8lackie in my opinion, a "true" dual exhaust with ELH - equal length headers will add to the engine performance.
A true dual exhaust has dual runs all the way back to the engine.

As to non-true dual exhaust. It's an appearance thing & I'm going to guess the additional muffler will do a pretty good job of reducing the exhaust sound level.

More poop here: Single Exhaust VS. Dual Exhaust

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]
What I like about Bobby's posts, is they're diplomatic. He suggests I go to hell, and I look forward to going there. No snark, no axes to grind. Thanks Bobby! Very much appreciated.
P.S. and now I know I should be looking at Mann Engineering for a good dual exhaust.
2.5x_sleeper, bobk25 and Maxwedge like this.

8lackie

Last edited by 8lackie; 04-24-2019 at 03:01 PM. Reason: add'l information
post #42 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 09:17 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2000
Car Model: SF5
Transmission: Automatic
Excellent "Subie side manner"
His logic has given lots of us those mechanical light bulb moments 💫

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk
2.5x_sleeper and 8lackie like this.
post #43 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 06:52 AM
Forum Member

My Mother-in-law's 2017 2.5i has a single exhaust. The 2.5 Limited that year had the fancy dual exhaust. They both have the same sound and power rating (please correct me if I'm mistaken).

The dual exhaust "look" is purely for good looks. And it works. When I got my 17 XT my inlaws asked if it had a V6, "because it has those souped up exhaust pipes". As someone noted, back in the day dual tail pipes meant dual exhaust, which often meant more power under the hood. Auntie's 69 Chevelle wagon had a single 2.25" pipe, while Uncle's 69 SS had dual 2.5"s. The dual look still implies power, or "more".

There's no reason for panty bunching here. I feel single exhaust looks (and often works) better on performance applications. It of course may be louder though, with a larger single pipe and muffler. But that is not what's being talked about here. 8lackie's talking about an otherwise stock 2.5NA Forester, right? No power to be gained by putting on a Subaru pseudo-dual setup, and no noticeable sound difference since the sound waves of the 2 banks are already merged.

But if you like the look, go for it! God bless America!

I prefer single-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Forester XT single-exhaust conversion.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	508711  
8lackie likes this.
post #44 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 08:01 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwedge View Post
The 2.5 Limited that year had the fancy dual exhaust.
All 2.5 SJ Foresters have single exhaust, regardless of what trim. Only SJ XT has dual
post #45 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 08:13 AM
Forum Member

Thanks Beluga. It must be SH's with the dual tips I'm thinking of. When I was shopping in 2016 the dealer showed me several "up-level" models with dual exhausts (Limited I believe), but they were likey SH's. SJ's were just coming onto the lots.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Engine and Exhaust > FB25 - 2.5L Non-Turbo (2011- 2018)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode