Subaru Forester Owners Forum

Subaru Forester Owners Forum (https://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/)
-   FB25 - 2.5L Non-Turbo (2011- 2018) (https://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f183/)
-   -   ('14-'18) Purpose of dual exhaust? (https://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f183/purpose-dual-exhaust-298321/)

pmcrock 03-03-2014 03:21 PM

Purpose of dual exhaust?
 
My '14 2.5L Touring Forester has a single exhaust. I noticed that the '13s, regardless of trim have dual exhaust. What is the purpose of a dual exhaust and why would it have been removed for the '14 model year?

lwerring 03-03-2014 04:25 PM

There's a good description of the reasons here:

Dual Exhaust Vs. Single Exhaust | eHow

Blackheart 03-03-2014 05:08 PM

Here is the best quote from that link:

"Don't be fooled, though, as some dual exhaust systems are actually single exhaust, as a few manufacturers use just one manifold and split the exhaust pipe after the muffler. From behind the car you see two tailpipes, but if you follow them forward, you'll find just one pipe and one manifold. There is no horsepower advantage to a system like this."

THAT describes the Forester's dual system. It's more expensive than a single exhaust, and adds no power. So, it was apparently determined to be esthetically pleasing, perhaps using cues from the "balanced" handling marketing ideas, and, someone finally decided it wasn't worth it to put this faux-dual system on any more.

SuperRu 03-03-2014 05:17 PM

It was a marketing decision. The competition is doing it too. The engineers are probably slowly shaking their heads.

Miniata 03-03-2014 05:19 PM

Glad to hear Subaru came to their senses and went back to a single exit exhaust, at least on some models.

Japam 03-03-2014 06:45 PM

it's basically there to be one of the aesthetic differences in trims. Wimpy base model with single exhaust vs turbo version with dual.

SkidPlate 03-03-2014 08:15 PM

Fake dual exhaust
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Japam (Post 3127337)
it's basically there to be one of the aesthetic differences in trims. Wimpy base model with single exhaust vs turbo version with dual.

The '14 turbo model has the fake dual exhaust also. It just makes the Forester weigh more and IMO provides no value.

Maybe for the '15, Subaru will provide 6-inch diameter chrome exhaust tips, four of them, or hook up the audio system to the engine speed and provide a deep V8 rumble with a switch to output the torn canvas sound of an un-muffled superbike at 14,000 RPM.

:icon_wink:

Machine1 03-03-2014 08:23 PM

When my mufflers rot away, I think I'll be putting together some sort of large diameter single exhaust setup on my 2013. I also want it to be just as quiet as the factory system and not look like a muffler shop job. This is where TIG welding comes in.

pmcrock 03-04-2014 05:57 AM

Thanks for the input. All things consdiered, I guess I'm glad they went back to the single exhaust.

GeoJosh 03-04-2014 06:01 AM

39 Attachment(s)
I am one of those weird people who prefer symmetry when possible, so I really like having dual exhaust... even if it is just for looks.

Majorlk 03-04-2014 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeoJosh (Post 3128905)
I am one of those weird people who prefer symmetry when possible, so I really like having dual exhaust... even if it is just for looks.

Me, too. And the chrome pipe tips ... :Banane17:

Fastcast 03-04-2014 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeoJosh (Post 3128905)
I am one of those weird people who prefer symmetry when possible, so I really like having dual exhaust... even if it is just for looks.


Me too....Till it comes time to replace it. :icon_eek:

SkidPlate 03-04-2014 12:05 PM

Aesthetics
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fastcast (Post 3129809)
Me too....Till it comes time to replace it. :icon_eek:

The aesthetics are important. To reduce cost, weight, and replacement expense, how about if Subaru sold the cars with the chrome tips on both sides, but only one side connected to a resonator and the balance of the exhaust system?

14TouringXT 03-04-2014 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fastcast (Post 3129809)
Me too....Till it comes time to replace it. :icon_eek:

That's when its time for a new car.... Go to a automatic touchless car wash with under body blast at least once a month and you will be surprised how long things last....

CinderBlock 03-04-2014 04:18 PM

19 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackheart (Post 3126993)
Here is the best quote from that link:

"Don't be fooled, though, as some dual exhaust systems are actually single exhaust, as a few manufacturers use just one manifold and split the exhaust pipe after the muffler. From behind the car you see two tailpipes, but if you follow them forward, you'll find just one pipe and one manifold. There is no horsepower advantage to a system like this."

THAT describes the Forester's dual system. It's more expensive than a single exhaust, and adds no power. So, it was apparently determined to be esthetically pleasing, perhaps using cues from the "balanced" handling marketing ideas, and, someone finally decided it wasn't worth it to put this faux-dual system on any more.

The Forester's dual exhaust is a fake??? How sad. If an engine has 5 or less cylinders or an I6, it should be single exhaust. A vehicle with a V6 or has 8 or more cylinders, it should be a 'true' dual exhaust with an 'X' pipe. Anything turbo should have 1. But should a manufacturer put a dual exhaust on, it should at least be functional and not a fake. /End rant.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 

Title goes here

close
video goes here
description goes here. Read Full Story
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome