post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:26 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: Forester Premium
Transmission: CVT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Little rumble at slower speeds

2015 Forester premium, all stock

Last couple of months, I am noticing a little rumble at slower speeds. It disappears above 35 mph. The oil has 4120 miles on it, kept in level all the time. The oil is Miles Lubricant 5w-30 syn blend (I wanted to clean up the stock ASAP). There is no difference in the way the car drives.

What should I look for? Took it to the mechanic and he doesn't think anything is odd.

I am planning to change the oil this weekend. I change it twice a year and its over 6 months now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 07:08 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2012
Car Model: Forester X
Transmission: Auto
@MoneyJohn -
I can't imagine any scenario where engine oil has anything to do with what you mention.
I assume tire pressure was (is) being checked...
Rumbles are often from the tire to road interface, and you might be noticing the sound at lower speeds when there is less competing wind and engine noise.

Given a rough road surface, all cars will rumble, and there is sound even on a smooth surface, but the sound might be muted more or less with insulation.
Some tires are "better" at being noisy than others, and tread design can have a lot to do with how they do (or don't) interact with pavement.

If you are worried about it, most tire shops will check out your tires for free in the hope of selling you a new set.
I would ask if the rubber you have is known for making the noise you notice.
I would recommend Discount Tire if they are in your area.

Mechanical problems like bearings or drive train usually get worse as you increase your speed and the rumble becomes a howl..
The caveat to that is that some people have reported low speed rumbles with the CVT transmission, and some of these seem to be resolved with a damper on the differential, but that may or may not have anything to do with what you are noticing.
In the cases noted, it was just annoying rather than a critical problem.

Just based on a sound, no one can tell you for sure what a potential fix for your issue is without knowing the cause of the sound.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: Forester Premium
Transmission: CVT
Thank you.

I agree it is difficult to comment just from the sound. So I went to the mechanic before posting here.

That said, the air pressure in the tire is maintained. The tires are OEM so you may be right that they are 5 years old now and are making the noise. I don't know how to best put it but I feel the rumble on the pedal.

CVT has been on my mind too and honestly, that is the reason I posted here. If someone has experienced this, they would chime in. They would know the sound and feel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Engine and Exhaust > FB25 - 2.5L Non-Turbo (2011- 2018)