Thinking about 2017 XT Touring VS 2019 Sport-Any Gotcha's? - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

9Likes

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 05:57 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2019
Car Model: Forester Sport
Transmission: CVT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thinking about 2017 XT Touring VS 2019 Sport-Any Gotcha's?

Test drove a used XT Touring with 24k. It was pretty loaded with everything but eyesight and maybe the upgraded stereo. It also doesn't have Carplay, which I was hoping for. I thought overall it was great and liked the XT engine. It moved it along nicely.

I am also considering a 2019 Sport with the blind spot and Harmon Kardon. I have not driven it yet, but I do like the nice upgraded look of it.

I plan to use either of these vehicles as a daily driver, road trip rig, mild off-roading/exploration. Kind of an aside, I also run to home centers for wood projects and would like to be able to fit an 8' long piece of lumber, which I think can be done with both.

Any gotchas's with either of these vehicles other than the obvious including the newer XMode? How does the turbo XT hold up and drivetrain hold up on this? I am surprised there are not more of them around.

Thanks!
DAVE

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

A normally aspirated SJ (I'm learning the lingo!) would be an option as well..just not as fun :)

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 06:28 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2016
Car Model: Forester
Garage
Is fuel expense a factor in your decision? If so, the XT requires premium fuel which costs more.
deeve likes this.

(I don't know anything.)

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 10:55 AM
Forum Member

I traded out of a 17XT Touring to a 19 Sport. Stronger and quieter platform...handles better...better crash test...far more comfortable seats and FAR better infotainment system with CarPlay and Android Auto. Just my 2 cents.
twospirits likes this.

2019 Sport
Subaru Ambassador
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 02:14 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 19
Car Model: 19 Touring, 17TrgXT
We have a 2017 Forester XT Touring, fully loaded; and a 19 Touring. @securityguy recap is spot on. Both are incredible value for the money and a good balance of what I value in a vehicle.

I like them both, but you will get a much nicer ride, enhanced safety, etc as indicated above in the 19. I would trade in the 2017 XT Touring in a heart beat if they come up with a turbocharged version in future years. For now, will keep them both.
Lakewalker and twospirits like this.

Subaru Ambassador, 17 XT (his) & 19 Touring (Hers)
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 05:59 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Well, I am now the owner of a 2019 Forester Sport. Drove an SJ XT and liked it but the newer interior sold me. The CVT tuning seems to make the most out of the non-turbo 2.5 and performance felt pretty good.
1roamingnome and a1penguin like this.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 06:45 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2017
Car Model: Forester XT Premium
XT. There is nothing else!
wbdubya likes this.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 07:34 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeve View Post
Test drove a used XT Touring with 24k. It was pretty loaded with everything but eyesight and maybe the upgraded stereo. It also doesn't have Carplay, which I was hoping for. I thought overall it was great and liked the XT engine. It moved it along nicely.

I am also considering a 2019 Sport with the blind spot and Harmon Kardon. I have not driven it yet, but I do like the nice upgraded look of it.

I plan to use either of these vehicles as a daily driver, road trip rig, mild off-roading/exploration. Kind of an aside, I also run to home centers for wood projects and would like to be able to fit an 8' long piece of lumber, which I think can be done with both.

Any gotchas's with either of these vehicles other than the obvious including the newer XMode? How does the turbo XT hold up and drivetrain hold up on this? I am surprised there are not more of them around.

Thanks!
DAVE
I drive a fully loaded 17' XT Touring love it. this thing is the fastest car ill ever need, keeps up on the highway with STIs, and is fun on back country roads. Eyesight is really useful if you either deal with frequent bumper to bump stop and go traffic ot you like driving calmly in the right hand lane. for proven drive train buying any car at the end of the generation run is always smarter then buying the unproven first run of cars from an entirely new platform and generation. price wise you get more for your money buying a low mileage used car over the brand new car, you will be taking the hit on depreciation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolMike View Post
Is fuel expense a factor in your decision? If so, the XT requires premium fuel which costs more.
These XT's are fuel hogs though, if you keep it out of boost then 24-25 mpg. otherwise typically 16-18 mpg, lead footed 12-14 mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeve View Post
Well, I am now the owner of a 2019 Forester Sport. Drove an SJ XT and liked it but the newer interior sold me. The CVT tuning seems to make the most out of the non-turbo 2.5 and performance felt pretty good.
I hope you enjoy. the CVT does not bother me in the xt. at times the CVT with the right throttle progression in faster then paddle shifting.
twospirits likes this.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 04:08 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester XT
I own a '14 xt. I got to have a '19 sport for a few days as a loaner car from my dealership. The '19 has a much nicer interior. If I was buying a car exclusively for utility, I would pick the '19. The interior is great, the sound system is great, sitting in traffic is great. However, I bought my '14 xt because I like to smile while I drive. My xt only has a basic tune and some cheap springs, but it can really make me smile. I love that my xt is essentially an overweight wrx. I can slide around dirt roads, I can leave most cars behind, and I can carry all sorts of crazy stuff. For the few days that I drove the '19, I don't know if the car made me smile once. It was pleasant, but never pleasing. Definitely a better car, but just not for me. The only caveat for the xt is the transmission. The CVT isn't a particularly robust transmission, but they're not terrible. I haven't had any drivetrain issues and I haven't been especially gentle with my car, but I do know people who have had CVT issues.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 04:29 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2018
Transmission: Lineartronic CVT w/SI-Drive & X-Mode
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolMike View Post
I have a 2018 2.0XT and the fuel costs a LOT more. I have 9,000 miles and am sitting here thinking about trading it in for that primary reason.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 03:02 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XT2.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1roamingnome View Post
[COLOR="Red"]
These XT's are fuel hogs though, if you keep it out of boost then 24-25 mpg. otherwise typically 16-18 mpg, lead footed 12-14 mpg
I have the '17 XT Touring and I get 25 mpg around town and 30+ mpg on the highway.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 03:13 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2018
Car Model: Forester XT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnA View Post
I have the '17 XT Touring and I get 25 mpg around town and 30+ mpg on the highway.
Ya calling a 17/18 xt a fuel hog is just being uneducated
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 09:23 PM
Forum Member

I bought a 2019 Sport a few weeks ago and feel it was the best car decision I’ve ever made. I was surprised at how strong the engine feels. And the “eyesite”. Whoa nelly!... I drove a 20 mile surface street drive the other day and basically set the cruise at 50 and never touched the gas or the brake the entire trip. Followed the car in front of me, stopped for me at lights, shut itself off, restarted when the car moved and took off on its tail until the next light. That feature is PRICELESS.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 09:52 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: 2.0XT Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp Dave View Post
I own a '14 xt. I got to have a '19 sport for a few days as a loaner car from my dealership. The '19 has a much nicer interior. If I was buying a car exclusively for utility, I would pick the '19. The interior is great, the sound system is great, sitting in traffic is great. However, I bought my '14 xt because I like to smile while I drive. My xt only has a basic tune and some cheap springs, but it can really make me smile. I love that my xt is essentially an overweight wrx. I can slide around dirt roads, I can leave most cars behind, and I can carry all sorts of crazy stuff. For the few days that I drove the '19, I don't know if the car made me smile once. It was pleasant, but never pleasing. Definitely a better car, but just not for me. The only caveat for the xt is the transmission. The CVT isn't a particularly robust transmission, but they're not terrible. I haven't had any drivetrain issues and I haven't been especially gentle with my car, but I do know people who have had CVT issues.
^^^this. the only review you'll need.
JumpingJackFlash likes this.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 04:27 AM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnA View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoshie View Post
Ya calling a 17/18 xt a fuel hog is just being uneducated
@hoshie please define uneducated. I drive one and those are the numbers I get. I am probably lead footed but that does not mean I am uneducated.

@JohnA I think it is me then. my fiance drove the car to long island and she got 27 mpg. she also drove 55-60mph the entire way. i typically drive 75-90mph.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > General Forums > Forester Shopping

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode