User Tag List
securityguy

29Likes

post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
New User

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: Mazda 3 S 5dr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Test drove a '19 Premium, liked it, but...

Hello all, I am new to the forum and while I've spent yesterday evening and this morning perusing past threads, I am hoping to get help with some questions. Yesterday, I had opportunity to drive a Crosstrek (okay, but felt sloppy), and Outback (fun, except the acceleration was dismal), and Forester (slightly better accel than Outback), and the Forester seems to fit all of my needs except one: I need a car that will stand at attention, salute, and beat feet when I push the accelerator. No, it's not about speed or thrills, it's that the car seems to "think" too much when the pedal is pressed before finally accelerating. I currently drive a 2006 Mazda 3 S and while it's certainly not fast per 0-60 benchmarks, it will quickly put on a few when asked.

First question: are there any reasonable aftermarket modifications that could be done to improve responsiveness such as parts or computer mods? Instead of what the forums and sites list as a 0-60 of about 8.5s or so, will there be anything that could help a 2019 Forester get to about 7.5s or so or is this unreasonable? Links to forum threads or outside sources are appreciated.

Second, I've found a dealer in Orlando that seemed to be straightforward. They do not tack on dealer fees which I've seen member securityguy say is typically atrocious in Florida. He gave a price of about $29k or so for a Premier with Popular Package 1 and Option Pkg 13, about $30k for pkg 14. That's before warranties. Are the ballpark prices reasonable given no dealer fees?

Third, I've seen securityguy mention something about a man named Luke who sells warranties at invoice. Would I be better off declining extended warranties at our local dealer and instead reaching out to Luke? I'd prefer the 10/100/0 GPP, if that helps.

Finally, is there any way to increase the volume on the turn signal? It sounds like a cricket on its deathbed.

Any other suggestions/recommendations/advice are welcome and appreciated, thank you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
New User

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: Mazda 3 S 5dr
Of course I do mean "Premium," not "Premier." The latter was in my head because of something I was previously reading.

post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 09:53 AM
TMX
Forum Member

Car Year: MY05
Car Model: Forester 2.5 XT
Welcome to the Forum :)

Many autos and CVTs are slow to respond when pushing the right pedal these days......Mercedes are particularly bad, even when moving and slowing to pull into a minor road and hittting the gas, it will take a couple seconds to think about how it feels about your command before doing something about it.

Have you tried test driving a 2018 2.0 XT (Turbo) You might find the response time a bit quicker. It will be quicker to accelerate too - From memory around 7 seconds to 60
There is pretty much nothing you can do to get the 2019 (Non Turbo) to accelerate any quicker - That I know of
If you want exciting, try a 2004-2008 XT (Turbo) Those really pick up quick and just keep going. (0-60 5.8s Manual/ 7.0s Auto) But I'm guessing you're not looking for something that old.

post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 11:13 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2012
Car Model: Forester X
Transmission: Auto
@diverdown -
The other option is the Outback with the six.
It is a lot quicker and can get better mpg's as well.
The problem with modding a new Forester is it can be pretty easy to void your warranty.
If you have an extra 10 grand because you blew your CVT, no problem, but if you find a way to add extra HP, Subaru can abandon their warranty.
SuperRu, TMX and Lockheed like this.
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 11:19 AM
admin

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: XT
Transmission: 4EAT
Garage
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
We love our 2019 3.6R. Pretty sure we are going to sell the 04 XT.
HeyChris likes this.

His...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hers...19 Outback Limited 3.6R
Our daughter...07 OB
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 11:37 AM
Forum Member

Transmission: Auto
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperRu View Post
We love our 2019 3.6R. Pretty sure we are going to sell the 04 XT.
My next door neighbor has the OB 3.6 and hands down it's a great car.
Better towing rating, mpg and the ride quality is a substantial improvement... But - It is more like a car than a SUV, which is good or bad.
It all depends on what you like. The interior is definitely nice in the OB. It also feels more substantial..
The OB also seems to be more immune to cross winds, which isn't a big surprise, since it is heavier and lower than the Foz…
So do you want a taller stance at the cost of some mpgs and no power options, or better performance and higher mpgs..

@diverdown - So here's a question... Why buy any AWD car when you live in Florida... The Subaru is a snowmobile, and it's worth to take the additional expense hit in mileage and maintenance if you need that, but in the "Sunshine State" ?? It snows like once every 500 years or so...
FozMon12 likes this.
post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 11:49 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2016
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: CVT
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonSubie7 View Post
Why buy any AWD car when you live in Florida... The Subaru is a snowmobile, and it's worth to take the additional expense hit in mileage and maintenance if you need that, but in the "Sunshine State" ??
Subarus perform spectacularly in wet/rainy conditions and the "Sunshine State" averages 60 inches of rain a year.

(I don't know anything.)
post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 11:58 AM
TMX
Forum Member

Car Year: MY05
Car Model: Forester 2.5 XT
Quote:
@diverdown - So here's a question... Why buy any AWD car when you live in Florida... The Subaru is a snowmobile, and it's worth to take the additional expense hit in mileage and maintenance if you need that, but in the "Sunshine State" ?? It snows like once every 500 years or so...
Asks the guy in the Grand Canyon
Lockheed likes this.
post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 12:38 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: forester sti
….

I have Dyslexia, if you don't like my spelling go @&%# #@*?$
post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 01:15 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2018
Car Model: SJ Forester 2.5i Ltd
Quote:
So here's a question... Why buy any AWD car when you live in Florida... The Subaru is a snowmobile, and it's worth to take the additional expense hit in mileage and maintenance if you need that, but in the "Sunshine State" ?? It snows like once every 500 years or so...
Compared to the competition's FWD vehicles I don't see Subarus take a mpg penalty for AWD. And there is lots of beach in Florida that one may want to drive on.

2018 2.5i Ltd FB25 CVT; 2010 2.5X Ltd EJ253 4AT
post #11 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 01:48 PM
Forum Member

Why would you want a Subaru?.... Since you like your Mazda 3 s̶o̶ ̶m̶u̶c̶h̶, why not consider a Mazda SUV ???

....That's what I think !

Last edited by FozMon12; 05-17-2019 at 05:37 PM. Reason: crossed out text
post #12 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 02:14 PM
admin

Car Model: XT
Garage
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
We crossed shopped Mazda's. They are nice cars but not a Subaru.

His...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hers...19 Outback Limited 3.6R
Our daughter...07 OB
post #13 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 04:43 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2019
Car Model: Forester Limited
Did you try mashing the pedal in sport mode? People rip on it since it only changes the behavior of the CVT, but I find it does a great job pretty much eliminating the "lag" between hitting the pedal and feeling response since it holds the revs higher. If there's a tight opening or I'm merging onto a busy freeway I'll throw it in sport mode and I have no issues hitting gaps and accelerating in a pretty snappy manner. Granted I came from a 4 banger access cab truck so snappy is relative.

Most of the time it doesn't matter for me anyway because the guy in front of me in his 2001 **** box wants to merge into highway speed traffic at 35 MPH 😂
post #14 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 05:09 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by diverdown View Post
First question: are there any reasonable aftermarket modifications that could be done to improve responsiveness such as parts or computer mods? Instead of what the forums and sites list as a 0-60 of about 8.5s or so, will there be anything that could help a 2019 Forester get to about 7.5s or so or is this unreasonable? Links to forum threads or outside sources are appreciated.

Second, I've found a dealer in Orlando that seemed to be straightforward. They do not tack on dealer fees which I've seen member securityguy say is typically atrocious in Florida. He gave a price of about $29k or so for a Premier with Popular Package 1 and Option Pkg 13, about $30k for pkg 14. That's before warranties. Are the ballpark prices reasonable given no dealer fees?

Third, I've seen securityguy mention something about a man named Luke who sells warranties at invoice. Would I be better off declining extended warranties at our local dealer and instead reaching out to Luke? I'd prefer the 10/100/0 GPP, if that helps.

Finally, is there any way to increase the volume on the turn signal? It sounds like a cricket on its deathbed.

Any other suggestions/recommendations/advice are welcome and appreciated, thank you.
#1 - no mods available to make this engine do any more than it's designed to...pretty peppy IMPO

#2 - You need to share the MSRP (including freight) and the Invoice. Then we can tell you if you're getting a good deal

#3 - Decline the warranty from your dealer and buy from Luke. Your dealer can't compete with Luke's pricing Just call him!

Westchester Subaru
Luke Corcione
914-347-3377 ext 7136
SuperRu and BostonEd like this.

2019 Sport
Subaru Ambassador
post #15 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 05:12 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester Sport
Quote:
So here's a question... Why buy any AWD car when you live in Florida... The Subaru is a snowmobile, and it's worth to take the additional expense hit in mileage and maintenance if you need that, but in the "Sunshine State" ?? It snows like once every 500 years or so...
This question just proves that you do not fully understand the benefits of AWD...it is not just for where it snows

2019 Sport
Subaru Ambassador
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > General Forums > Forester Shopping

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode