Subaru Equity Shield question for new car purchase - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

15Likes

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2019
Car Model: Subaru Forest Sport
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Subaru Equity Shield question for new car purchase

Hi ALL,

Shopping for a 2019 Forester.
Dealer website advertises Subaru Equity Shield which offers Tire & Wheel Protection, Paintless Dent Repair, Windshield Protection, Key Protection.
Curious if anyone has taken this coverage - depending on price think it might be worthwhile with cost of replacing a rim or loosing a key fob.
Also, if you took this coverage were the prices of this coverage negotiable?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 08:46 PM
Forum Member

I purchased the extra coverage and am very glad i did. Within 4 months and 4000 miles of having our 2019 forester sport we have a large crack in our windshield. Wife hit a very small rock about the size of a skittle. Its crazy because we have never had a rock chip or crack on any other vehicle our entire lives. Glad its covered! The glass has a sound film on it, i believe, that makes it extra spendy.

Joe A likes this.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 04:14 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester Sport
@Joe A ...I think you may be in error with your post as Equity Shield has NOTHING to do with tires and glass, etc. It protects the EQUITY in your car if your car is totaled, stolen or not recovered after being stolen. Your dealer may be bundling that with the other stuff but sounds deceptive to me. My 2 cents and that of just about every car mag including Consumer Reports is to stay AWAY from these types of protection plans that cover wheels, glass, dents and dings. Typically, WAY overpriced, and you'll never get your money out of it. Most folks have windshield coverage on their car insurance plan. Mine is a zero deductible...some have $50 and some are handled under comprehensive at $100 deductible but glass replacement is cheap if you have decent car insurance. Tire & wheel, along with dentless PP will most never be used but like anything else, it is an "insurance" policy against what may happen so your money...your decision. How much do they want for it?

Ask again about the Equity Shield and the other stuff and they are two totally different animals and Subaru has no plan to cover wheels, glass and dings. They are 3rd-party plans that are HUGE money makers for the dealership...BE VERY CAREFUL!!!

https://www.sportsubaru.com/subaru-equity-shield.htm

2019 Sport
Subaru Ambassador

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 05:15 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2018
Car Model: SJ Forester 2.5i Ltd
Transmission: CVT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe A View Post
Tire & Wheel Protection, Paintless Dent Repair, Windshield Protection, Key Protection.
In addition to what securityguy says, some plans like the above contain so many loopholes and exclusions that they rarely pay off. Make sure you get the terms of the plan in writing and review carefully before making a final decision. Don't rely on verbal commitments or assurances from the sales or finance person.
securityguy and Joe A like this.

2018 2.5i Ltd FB25 CVT; 2010 2.5X Ltd EJ253 4AT
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 05:56 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 18'
Car Model: 2.5 Premium 6MT
Transmission: 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by securityguy View Post
@Joe A ...I think you may be in error with your post as Equity Shield has NOTHING to do with tires and glass, etc. It protects the EQUITY in your car if your car is totaled, stolen or not recovered after being stolen. Your dealer may be bundling that with the other stuff but sounds deceptive to me. My 2 cents and that of just about every car mag including Consumer Reports is to stay AWAY from these types of protection plans that cover wheels, glass, dents and dings. Typically, WAY overpriced, and you'll never get your money out of it. Most folks have windshield coverage on their car insurance plan. Mine is a zero deductible...some have $50 and some are handled under comprehensive at $100 deductible but glass replacement is cheap if you have decent car insurance. Tire & wheel, along with dentless PP will most never be used but like anything else, it is an "insurance" policy against what may happen so your money...your decision. How much do they want for it?

Ask again about the Equity Shield and the other stuff and they are two totally different animals and Subaru has no plan to cover wheels, glass and dings. They are 3rd-party plans that are HUGE money makers for the dealership...BE VERY CAREFUL!!!

https://www.sportsubaru.com/subaru-equity-shield.htm
Often your insurer will have an option termed along the lines of "full replacement value" or the like. I have USAA and this addition is pretty nominal and give you the piece of mind of getting not just current value but like replacement value if your car is totaled. You are better off in my opinion using the insurance add on, in my experience USAA for one has been very easy to work with and I trust their coverage is without too many loopholes.
securityguy likes this.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 05:57 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester
Garage
I skipped on it. The price for the protection didn't add up to long term savings. My car insurance offers free windshield replacements. I can find a dent repair for under $50 per dent if I needed.
securityguy and Joe A like this.

19 Forester Premium
16 STI Limited
06 4Runner
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 04:29 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Thanks for responding. This is what the dealer posts on it's website - I tried to add link but could not post with live link - this is Wayne Subaru in NJ:

Subaru Equity Shield or SES

Subaru Optimum Vehicle Protection

Optimum Vehicle Protection Plus provides you with protection for the following items:

Tire & Wheel Protection, Paintless Dent Repair, Windshield Protection, Key Protection

Terms available up to five years
Can be added to your auto financing
These items may be purchased separately or as a bundle in Subaru OVP.

Tire and Wheel Protection

Highlights (not all of the features are listed below, ask your salesperson for more details)

Repair or replacement of tire due to road hazard
Replacement of wheel if structural damage due to road hazard
No limit on occurrences or claim benefits
No mileage limitations
Transferrable if you sell your vehicle
Coverage exclusions may apply, ask for details
Paintless Dent Repair

Highlights (not all of the features are listed below, ask your salesperson for more details)

Permanently remove door dings/minor dents up to 4 inches in diameter
Transferable if you sell your vehicle
Convenient repairs, done where you are
Windshield Protection

Repair of chips and cracks in front windshield
Convenient repairs, done where you are
Transferable if you sell your vehicle
Key Protection

Cost of replacement key and/or transponder up to $500 per occurrence
24 hour vehicle lock-out assistance up to $100 per occurrence

They sure like to say "coverage exclusions may apply" a lot :)

I've had to replace my current windshield twice and so this information caught my eye (my insurance does not cover replacement - just chips- I wish I just had chips!). Time to get better insurance! Been lucky with pot holes but thought only a matter of time and subie rims are pricey. Never lost a key but I read fobs are around $340 to replace.

Still have to decide on a sport or a touring model. Prob go with the sport - just trying to figure out the radio (no one knows wattage on base 8.0 radio all they talk about is the 576 watt radio).

in my research I've found $800-$1000 for this coverage. it's prob makes more sense if you are leasing and crush tires on the regular - which is is more than likely given some NJ roads.

Thanks again for all the feedback. Hope to find the right car soon.

[quote=securityguy;7529665] @Joe A ...I think you may be in error with your post as Equity Shield has NOTHING to do with tires and glass, etc. It protects the EQUITY in your car if your car is totaled, stolen or not recovered after being stolen. Your dealer may be bundling that with the other stuff but sounds deceptive to me. My 2 cents and that of just about every car mag including Consumer Reports is to stay AWAY from these types of protection plans that cover wheels, glass, dents and dings. Typically, WAY overpriced, and you'll never get your money out of it. Most folks have windshield coverage on their car insurance plan. Mine is a zero deductible...some have $50 and some are handled under comprehensive at $100 deductible but glass replacement is cheap if you have decent car insurance. Tire & wheel, along with dentless PP will most never be used but like anything else, it is an "insurance" policy against what may happen so your money...your decision. How much do they want for it?

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 04:39 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

thanks for writing. I've just been looking online at this stuff (posted details above) - have an appointment tomorrow to sit in a sport/touring to decide which one - will get more details (in writing them). will share what I find. Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForesterBill View Post
In addition to what securityguy says, some plans like the above contain so many loopholes and exclusions that they rarely pay off. Make sure you get the terms of the plan in writing and review carefully before making a final decision. Don't rely on verbal commitments or assurances from the sales or finance person.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 05:42 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2018
Car Model: SJ Forester 2.5i Ltd
Looks like Subaru of Las Vegas has the same SES "protection plan" as Wayne Subaru:
https://www.subaruoflasvegas.com/fin...ty-shield.html

But this Atlanta dealer has the SES equity protection plan that security guy mentioned:
https://www.classicsubaruofatlanta.c...ity-shield.htm

Confusing...same name, completely different plans.

2018 2.5i Ltd FB25 CVT; 2010 2.5X Ltd EJ253 4AT
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 06:48 AM
Forum Member

@Joe A ...your dealer is being a bit deceitful by bundling the Equity Protection with the other stuff that have ZERO to do with the Equity Protection Plan. Personally, you do not need ANY of it so I would pass on this if I were you.

Joe A likes this.

2019 Sport
Subaru Ambassador
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 06:50 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2012
Car Model: Forester X
Transmission: Auto
@Joe A -
I think you might benefit from a thorough reading of the "exclusions", but a lot of the coverage seems dubious, and is available through other means.

You mentioned your interest in windshield replacement, but from my reading, that ISN'T covered.
Note: "Repair of chips and cracks in front windshield" is NOT the same thing as replacement of the glass, rather it is a minor repair.

Tire warranty - inexpensive add on when you replace your not so great stock tires somewhere other than the overpriced dealer.

Dents - Get a low deductible insurance policy and the dents are covered through your comprehensive.

Key protection - Look at the exclusions, but if you lose both keyless "keys" on a new model Forester, it can cost THOUSANDS and take weeks to replace.

Buy and extra key instead and store it in a safe place.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 06:52 AM
Forum Member

Quote:
Looks like Subaru of Las Vegas has the same SES "protection plan" as Wayne Subaru:

But this Atlanta dealer has the SES equity protection plan that security guy mentioned:

Tire & Wheel, Dent & Ding and Permaplate are after market third-party protection plans that are not offered or warranted by SOA. These ads are deceitful by combining the two to make them appear as if they are connected for those that will not know any better. Not good business practice
ForesterBill likes this.

2019 Sport
Subaru Ambassador
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Thanks for the heads up!

Quote:

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Agreed! thanks for your input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonSubie7 View Post
@Joe A -
I think you might benefit from a thorough reading of the "exclusions", but a lot of the coverage seems dubious, and is available through other means.

You mentioned your interest in windshield replacement, but from my reading, that ISN'T covered.
Note: "Repair of chips and cracks in front windshield" is NOT the same thing as replacement of the glass, rather it is a minor repair.

Tire warranty - inexpensive add on when you replace your not so great stock tires somewhere other than the overpriced dealer.

Dents - Get a low deductible insurance policy and the dents are covered through your comprehensive.

Key protection - Look at the exclusions, but if you lose both keyless "keys" on a new model Forester, it can cost THOUSANDS and take weeks to replace.

Buy and extra key instead and store it in a safe place.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 02:40 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: Forester 2.5i
Not worth the extra money, don't buy it. Put some emergency fund money away for this sort of non-warranty repair.
SOL CAMPBELL likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > General Forums > Forester Shopping

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode