post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
adc
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: 2008 2.5i-2018 XT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Should I Walk Away From a deal?

This is for a Crostrek, but no matter ;) I have been on this forum long enough to be indulged. :)

I am planning on taking delivery very soon..this evening.

My price will be $200 over invoice. From looking at prices that others paid, I am having second thoughts.
Keep in mind..the dealership can not keep these things in stock and the model and color is what I WANT

1. I did not sign anything.
2. I have no problem walking away from the deal.
3. I like the salesman. I know he did as well as he good.
4. I am super anxious to get the vehicle..But at the age of 73 I can control myself as I have a '18 Forester XT to fall back on.
5. I really want honest answers. This is the internet and I have this funny feeling that people have exaggerated how good a deal they got
6. The dealership is truly a top notch dealership. I had tires rotated and the cost was less than $20 including tax. The waiting area is fantastic!! And so is the courteous service. That means a lot to me.

So again..Premium with a moderate number of bells and whistles. List was (I believe around 28K)

I don't always need to get the "best" price. All I am looking for is a FAIR deal. Put yourself in my place. Money in general is really not a problem for me and the the wife.
Thanks. I appreciate it.

Be careful what you wish for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 06:23 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2019
Car Model: Forester Premium
Transmission: Lineartronic® CVT
Garage
My opinion is it might not be the best deal, but if you’re comfortable with it and the vehicle in question matches exactly what you want, go for it.

BTW - our local Discount Tire will rotate at zero cost even for a vehicle with the original tires and not ones purchased from them.

Peja likes this.

- Chris
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 06:42 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2018
Car Model: SJ Forester 2.5i Ltd
Transmission: CVT
Have you shopped, via the internet, any competing dealers within a reasonable driving distance? For relatively little effort you might get a better deal that you can use to negotiate a lower price at your preferred dealer. BTW, your preferred dealer is required by SOA to service (including warranty work) any Subaru bought anywhere.

BTW, I've been shopping for Crosstreks too and in some parts of the country (Colorado for example) they can be had for $1000+ under invoice. You might want to peruse this thread on the Crosstrek forum:

https://www.subaruxvforum.com/forum/...ou-pay-23.html

2018 2.5i Ltd FB25 CVT; 2010 2.5X Ltd EJ253 4AT

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
adc
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Thanks guys. Yea I am on the XV forum. Again I am OK with the deal. But I decided to ask my salesguy why I did not get a $500 loyalty discount bc this will be my 3rd from that place. If I don't like the answer, I'll walk.

Thanks again. Shame on me though for not doing my homework first. In a sense it is my fault.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 08:13 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester Sport
Transmission: Rubber band
I agree you are leaving about a grand on the table. But, I'm getting up to your age and if the $1k is not critical follow your heart. The enjoyment of getting "the" car you want will long outlast the money. YOLO. Be prepared for severe cheek pains from excessive grinning. Enjoy your new ride. Even if it is a Crosstrek. (Couldn't help myself, after all this is a Forester forum) :)

You have to contact SOA for coupon. They can email it quickly.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 08:30 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: forester sti
Its rare to find people that don't embellish the "good deal" that they got , I however rarely get a good deal but a fair deal is good enough for me especially if I like the people im dealing with which is also rare .
Why is it 2 hondo s over price.?
Natedog and twospirits like this.

I have Dyslexia, if you don't like my spelling go @&%# #@*?$
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 08:56 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2012
Car Model: Forester X
Transmission: Auto
@adc -
Since it's your third purchase, I doubt they want to lose a deal over a "$500 loyalty discount"...
I would approach it as, "I think you forgot to include this" rather than accusing them of an intention to screw you.
But that's me. In negotiation, I've found that being pleasant goes a long way.

Regardless of what deal you make, you could always make one better.
Carried to its logical conclusion, what is an endless search worth?

At 73, time is probably your most precious commodity, or it should be.
Why waste it at a dealership if you already have a deal that you are happy with?

A good friend of mine had a quote he used often, and seems to be applicable here.
"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good".
Shakeman and Natedog like this.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 09:04 AM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
But I decided to ask my salesguy why I did not get a $500 loyalty discount bc this will be my 3rd from that place. If I don't like the answer, I'll walk.
Do NOT mention a loyalty discount to your sales person! Instead, call SOA (800-782-2783, option 6) and tell them you are a previous Subaru owner and are considering purchasing another Subaru and politely ask if there is a loyalty incentive to assist with your new car purchase like some other auto makers offer. The rep will ask for the VIN of your current/past Subaru and most likely will offer you a $500 loyalty incentive in the form of a coupon that you can present to your dealer. You can have it emailed if you need it right away. After you have coupon in hand, do NOT mention this ace in the hole to your sales person. Instead, continue to try and negotiate down the price of the car. The time to present the $500 coupon is when you are in the process of paying for the car.
Natedog, DragonSubie7 and duffy_12 like this.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 10:08 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester Sport
It's not about the money, it's about having an honest purchase experience. I decided to purchase the extended warranty from the local dealer at $100 over invoice because (1) $ was not an issue, (2) the salesman/dealer experience was excellent (3) support local economy and (4) local people are going to be performing the work, they should be compensated for it.

If you are willing to walk away, then make your demands this evening. If they want to make the sale, they will work with you, otherwise walk away. Especially if there are other dealers in area. Your time is also worth $, so factor that in too.
Natedog likes this.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 10:09 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 1998
Car Model: forester
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForesterBill View Post
Do NOT mention a loyalty discount to your sales person! Instead, call SOA (800-782-2783, option 6) and tell them you are a previous Subaru owner and are considering purchasing another Subaru and politely ask if there is a loyalty incentive to assist with your new car purchase like some other auto makers offer. The rep will ask for the VIN of your current/past Subaru and most likely will offer you a $500 loyalty incentive in the form of a coupon that you can present to your dealer. You can have it emailed if you need it right away. After you have coupon in hand, do NOT mention this ace in the hole to your sales person. Instead, continue to try and negotiate down the price of the car. The time to present the $500 coupon is when you are in the process of paying for the car.
Do these $500 incentive coupons like the ones ambassadors give out expire?

The higher, the fewer.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 10:18 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2012
Car Model: Forester X
There are very few (no) retroactive incentives, and I don't think I've ever seen a coupon without an expiration date...
Natedog likes this.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 10:40 AM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru3169 View Post
Do these $500 incentive coupons like the ones ambassadors give out expire?
The $500 "Goodwill Owner Loyalty Incentive" coupon I recently received is good for one year. It has a specific expiration date printed on it.
Natedog likes this.

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 10:50 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 1998
Car Model: forester
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonSubie7 View Post
There are very few (no) retroactive incentives, and I don't think I've ever seen a coupon without an expiration date...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForesterBill View Post
The $500 "Goodwill Owner Loyalty Incentive" coupon I recently received is good for one year. It has a specific expiration date printed on it.
Good to know, thanks!

The higher, the fewer.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 01:38 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester base
I will would use the true car service in this case ! I would put in the year and premium and the color I want . And multiple dealers will compete with each other to get your business instead of offering you a crap deal ! I’ve used true car multiple times and I’m very happy ! Bought my 2018 4 runner this way !
Natedog likes this.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
adc
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Well, I decided that I would not ask for anything else. Essentially we made the deal on a handshake. Trying to get more after this is not a reputable thing to do. I like to think of myself as a decent person. This would not have been the right thing to do. The car was all ready; licence plate on, all the paperwork to sign, etc.

Yea..if I left money one the table, but it was left as soon as we made the deal 2 weeks ago. Shame on me.

And yea..I love the freakin' car. I have to say (XT) not withstanding..I like it better than the Forester. Please understand I am not running down the Forester. Its the absolute best in its class. The XV is not in the same class.

Thanks again al for the sound advice!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > General Forums > Forester Shopping

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode