Need advice. Trade my 2018xt premium for 2019 sport? - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

21Likes

post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
New User

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need advice. Trade my 2018xt premium for 2019 sport?

I have a 2018 Subaru Forester XT premium with 34000 miles and is at the point where it needs brakes tires service Etc so I test drove a 2019 Forester sport and thought it was better in every way except for the engine. The sticker on the new car was 32600 and I got the dealer down to $6,600 plus trade which I thought was a fantastic deal but I'm wondering if I'll regret it after a while not having the turbo. I know I won't miss the hard seats and hard ride and I love the new comfortable seats H&K audio adaptive cruise keyless entry push button start Etc. Any input from owners of either of these cars is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 11:02 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2018
Car Model: XT Touring
Transmission: CVT
You are kidding, right?

ForesterBill, Natedog, TMX and 2 others like this.

2018 XT Touring, previous Foz a 2006 XT 5 Speed
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 11:29 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: Forester XT Touring
@Chris Winchester
I would personally hold onto XT Premium (and get extended warranty before 36k miles). Even with getting new (better) tires, brakes and potential extended warranty, you will save money long term and still have a unique vehicle.
But that is just my opinion and I think XT rides just fine, seats are ok and I don't care for "H&K audio adaptive cruise keyless entry push button start Etc."
Put your XT in S# more often and then make decision :-)
ForesterBill and Natedog like this.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 11:35 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: Forester XT Sport
two completely different cars.
xt. its got a turbo and gona be stiffer. Its meant to go fast with load.

the 19, its a eco friendly car thats soft and cushy. its for a family and safety.

i have 08 fxt, which is noisy, stiff, and fast.

the wifes 19, quiet, squishy, and gentle (slow). The purchase was made since shes 9 months pregs. baby needs the quiet and squishy ride. Also very safe.

i doubt ill have the baby in my car.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 12:06 PM
Forum Member

Garage
Kids like loud cars. Give it a few years.

Source: Mine love my WRX with a Q300 catback and afterfire pops.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 03:45 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2012
Car Model: Forester X
Transmission: Auto
My reaction was the same as @bashfulbernie 's
The 18 is the last of the Turbos and in a very few years will be worth more than the newer Foz.
Great idea to trade if you like losing money, but the dealer will love it as the car will likely be sold as a certified pre-owned for twice what they "give" you in trade.
Service at 34K is minimal. Oil change and a couple of safety checks. A set of tires vs a car payment... I hope you have money to burn.
In any case, it would be incredibly stupid to trade the car in to a dealer when you could do a LOT better in a private sale or through a service like Vroom.
ForesterBill, Natedog and TMX like this.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 03:54 PM
adc
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Car Model: 2008 2.5i-2018 XT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bashfulbernie View Post
You are kidding, right?
This

OP's first post. I wouldn't take it seriously. And no location.

Be careful what you wish for.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 04:02 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XT
Youíve driven a car for 36,000 miles and are asking for input...on your actual car?

Thatís kind mad funny
Natedog likes this.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
New User

What's exactly mad funny about it? I know about my car. I explained how I felt about my car. I just wanted to hear from anybody who had experience with both cars because obviously I don't have much experience with the sport only driving it for a half an hour. I'm not giving the car away either. 6600 + trade not counting the $500 Subaru loyalty coupon is $1,500 under invoice for the new car + 22400 for my trade. I paid 27000 for the car brand new and was just interested what people thought of the deal also. Nevermind
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 05:36 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: 2.5i Premium
Garage
I suggest waiting until the new Outback XT comes out this fall. Room of the Forester, Lots of Turbo power and the new global platform that will outshone the SJ platform.

The Forester XT is at its peak value now but they will not stay there for much longer once the Outback XT starts flooding the market.

Float like a Cadillac, Sting like a Beemer.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 05:43 PM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Winchester View Post
What's exactly mad funny about it? I know about my car. I explained how I felt about my car. I just wanted to hear from anybody who had experience with both cars because obviously I don't have much experience with the sport only driving it for a half an hour. I'm not giving the car away either. 6600 + trade not counting the $500 Subaru loyalty coupon is $1,500 under invoice for the new car + 22400 for my trade. I paid 27000 for the car brand new and was just interested what people thought of the deal also. Nevermind
You do you man. Thatís the point. My advice would be keep the xt. If I were carless, and someone gave me a 19 forester...Iíd sell it and buy something else

Thatís me doing me
Natedog likes this.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 06:19 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonSubie7 View Post
My reaction was the same as @bashfulbernie 's
The 18 is the last of the Turbos and in a very few years will be worth more than the newer Foz.
Maybe, maybe not. The XT is a niche car that has many fewer prospects who will want to pay a premium for a high-mileage turbo model.

Having said that, I think you should keep your XT. It's just broken in good at this point. You've just completed a huge part of the depreciation on the vehicle. Tires and brakes are nothing. You have new car fever, but unless you hate your XT, it's just a huge waste of money to trade it now. Drive it, enjoy it, save your money.
ForesterBill, Natedog and Peja like this.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 06:25 PM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGumina View Post
Kids like loud cars. Give it a few years.

Source: Mine love my WRX with a Q300 catback and afterfire pops.
Yup. My young kids fall asleep so fast in my EVO with ultimate racing full exhaust. The sound/vibration knocks em out

Love that.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 04:52 PM
adc
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Car Model: 2008 2.5i-2018 XT
Put the 20mm rear stabilizer on. I have not driven a '19 but if driving experience is important. The '19 can not possibly come close if you like to put your foot into it once in a while. If that is zero concern for you than by all means take the depreciation hit and go for the 19'.

I don't care how good a deal you are getting you will loose serious bucks. Sounds like new car fever to me. You play to pay.

Now I am '73 and drive little old man. BUT..once in I while i flog it and the feeling is Ecstasy. If you have never driven an XT you wouldn't understand.-but you. My 08 was lighter than the new vehicles with about the same HP. So it would be comparable to the '19 in terms of straight line performance.

Now I just bought the '19 XV which is slower than the '19 Forester. But it handles like a dream. I never would have bought it though if I didn't have the XT

Good luck with your decision!! Let us know.

Be careful what you wish for.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 07:52 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XT Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Winchester View Post
H&K audio adaptive cruise keyless entry push button start Etc
This stuff is nice to have, and that's why I got it on my 2018 XT. But I wouldn't give up my 2018 XT for a 2019 non-turbo. I had a 2007 Forester XS with 173 hp and had it until 2018. The 2007 was underpowered. I don't drive aggressively, but just driving up a hill, I felt I wanted more power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > General Forums > Forester Shopping

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode