User Tag List

6Likes

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2019
Car Model: Forester
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
GEICO Mechanical Breakdown Insurance

For those shopping for a new vehicle, you might want to consider GEICO's Mechanical Breakdown Insurance, especially if you can't afford the extended warranty through Subaru.

We got it on our Forester, and it is coming out to about $6 per month. There is a $250 deductible per claim.

GEICO's plan can come out much cheaper than Subaru's extended warranty, but might not depending on the number of claims. Also, you need to have and keep GEICO as your car insurance provider if you want to keep the Mechanical Breakdown Insurance. In addition, if you drive off-road, they might not honor a claim.

We have used GEICO's Mechanical Breakdown Insurance on at least three different occasions. We didn't have a problem on the first two, on the third claim they wanted to inspect the vehicle, but after we gave permission they didn't bother.

The Subaru dealer we used handled everything. They called GEICO, took payment from them, and charged us the $250 deductible. So, all genuine Subaru parts were used in the repairs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 01:20 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forest Touring
I haven't compared nuts to nuts, bolts to bolts, but my GEICO Roadside Assistance Coverage added $66 to my 6 Month premium. The StarLink Safety + Security cost me $81 for 3 years (I have a 36 month lease.) I believe this includes Roadside Assistance. I've had GEICO Roadside coverage for years but it didn't seem to make sense to pay for both.

twospirits likes this.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

I'm referring to their Mechanical Breakdown Insurance, which is around $6 per month for us. It should cover just about everything mechanical. So, if the transmission were to go bad, it should cost $250 (the deductible) for a repair or replacement.

We also have GEICO's Emergency Roadside Service and it is about $1 per month for us.

I'm not an expert on insurance, but maybe you should call and see if you can get a better rate. If you'd like to message me we can compare pricing to see what the difference is on each category.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 04:36 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester Sport
This is really a flip of the coin IMPO.

1. you can buy a 100K $0 deductible Gold Plus Plan for say $1500
2. you can pay $72/year for 7 years with Geico and you're at an investment of $504
3. As long as you don't have more than 4 GEICO repairs, then you are ahead of the game
4. If you keep the vehicle a full 7 years, let's say, and you need more than 4 repairs, you'd have been better off with the Subaru plan

I did all the math and decided to get the Subaru plan since it also appears to cover more than what Geico will cover and, IMO, may very well be a cheaper alternative. If you keep cars until the wheels fall off, then Geico may be your better bet since you can go beyond the traditional 7-8 year terms (or the max term of 10 years) unless Geico has a time limit on their warranty.

I bought the 10 year/ 120K mile $0 deductible plan from Luke for my daughter's 19 Forester Sport so she didn't have to worry about anything. In Geico speak, that would cost $720 plus $250/repair and my guess is that there will be far more than 5 warranty repairs during that 10-year span which makes the Subaru plan a better investment knowing that she will not have this vehicle past the 10 year/120K mile term.

Just my two-cents.
a1penguin and twospirits like this.

2019 Sport
Subaru Ambassador

Last edited by securityguy; 05-15-2019 at 05:15 PM.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

GEICO will cover for up to ten years, 100,000 miles.

Subaru's Gold Plus, according to their website, is for eight years, 120,000 miles, or ten years, 100,000 miles. I didn't see a ten year 120,000 mile option.

I've read the ten year, 100,000 mile, $0 deductible plan can be purchased for as low as $1,700. So, $1,700 - $720 (ten years through GEICO) = $980, so four or more repairs and Subaru's plan is better, like you said.

But, if we are just going to keep our Forester for four years like our current one, then it's $1,700 vs $288 and in that case we'd need six or more repairs for Subaru's plan to make more sense. We have probably had three repairs, so as long as reliability is similar, GEICO is probably better for us.

I've kind of talked myself out of getting Gold Plus and staying with GEICO's Mechanical Breakdown Insurance. The eight year 120,000 mile plan through Subaru is probably better but I don't think we'll keep the new Forester that long.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 04:16 AM
Forum Member

As I stated, if you aren't keeping the vehicle long, the Geico is the better option.

2019 Sport
Subaru Ambassador
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 06:54 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester Touring
Transmission: CVT7
with GEICO $6 per month do you have to start paying now or after car is 3/36 old ?
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

They require you to get the plan within the first 15 months or 15,000 miles.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 01:30 PM
Forum Member

Transmission: Rubber band
I have Geico but never even considered their breakdown coverage. Mechanical breakdown is only half the equation.... maybe less. I'm more concerned with electrical issues. Paying for a new HU, amp, window regulator, moonroof motor, rear hatch motor or any number of other electrical related issues. No thanks. A new ECU, fugetaboutit. I'll stick with the Gold plan and take my chances.
securityguy likes this.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 03:24 PM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by denissh View Post
with GEICO $6 per month do you have to start paying now or after car is 3/36 old ?
It is effective immediately and the cash starts coming out of your wallet on your first payment.

2019 Sport
Subaru Ambassador
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peja View Post
I have Geico but never even considered their breakdown coverage. Mechanical breakdown is only half the equation.... maybe less. I'm more concerned with electrical issues. Paying for a new HU, amp, window regulator, moonroof motor, rear hatch motor or any number of other electrical related issues. No thanks. A new ECU, fugetaboutit. I'll stick with the Gold plan and take my chances.
Just about everything is covered.

According to their website:

Includes all parts and systems not just the specific list of items covered by most dealer warranties.

Exclusions to this policy include regular maintenance services such as tune-ups, suspension alignment, wheel balancing, filters, lubrication, coolant and fluids, spark plugs, brake pads and linings, brake shoes, and tires. Also, breakdown repairs made necessary by intentional damage, corrosion, misuse, or improper maintenance are not covered. Mechanical Breakdown Insurance coverage is in excess of coverage provided by your manufacturer's warranty. Read the policy amendment for the complete terms and conditions of this coverage.
Peja likes this.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 06:46 AM
Forum Member

@New_Subaru +1. Thanks I will revisit that coverage. Terribly miss-named product. At the reported $6/mo worth a close look.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

We're going with GEICO again for our new Forester. We just couldn't justify the warranty cost through Subaru. The dealer mentioned it was prorated upon cancellation, so it's possible it's worth it, but I don't know the exact cancellation policy.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 10:06 PM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by New_Subaru View Post
We're going with GEICO again for our new Forester. We just couldn't justify the warranty cost through Subaru. The dealer mentioned it was prorated upon cancellation, so it's possible it's worth it, but I don't know the exact cancellation policy.
It is prorated. Divide the total cost paid minus tax by how many months coverage. Subtract total months used from total months. That is refund amount. Months used start from date of purchase of vehicle no matter what month you purchase. The first three years you are paying for the right to have coverage after 36 months. Some people report a handling/service fee deducted from refund but after three refunds I've never paid it.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Thank you for explaining!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > General Forums > Forester Shopping

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode