User Tag List

2Likes
  • 1 Post By slothman
  • 1 Post By Kevin

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Which Forester - most likely a 2013/4

G'day guys just came across this gem of a resource and loving the forums, lot to read through. Just thought say hey and ask couple broad questions here, will find the answers eventually here but would love couple ideas to get me running,

Basically I want to get a forester, most likely a 2013/4,

Anybody got anything or specific recommendations on what to look for when test driving/inspecting for purchase ?

Otherwise general thoughts on which badge/variant to run? As looking for decent tow capacity, but not sure if the Diesel is much much louder? As would like it as a quite city runner, but also as a not-to-heavy tow long-distance over-lander that can handle few easy trails/dirt tracks but no real/serious 4x4

Thoughts / experiences on 2"+ lift kits? Or what rim/rubber has the consensus ?

Cheers,
FDU

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 05:37 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2018
Car Model: SJ Forester 2.5i Ltd
Transmission: CVT
In the US, 2013 was a slightly smaller vehicle than the 2014. Both model years have the FB25 engine but the automatic transmissions are different. 2013 has a traditional 4-speed automatic while the 2014 has a CVT.

Some FB25 engines in that era have an engine oil consumption issue which seems to be more frequent with a manual transmission.

2018 2.5i Ltd FB25 CVT; 2010 2.5X Ltd EJ253 4AT
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 11:49 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2013
Car Model: 2.5i-L
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForesterDownUnder View Post
As looking for decent tow capacity, but not sure if the Diesel is much much louder? As would like it as a quite city runner
Do not under any circumstances buy a diesel if you mostly drive in the city. The Subaru diesel is just about okay if regularly driven over longish distances at speed, but the DPF will clog when driving mostly short distances at low speeds because insufficient heat is built up to burn off the ash. By all accounts the Subaru diesel doesn't have much more grunt than the 2.5 L engines so the main advantage is the fuel savings.

2.5 L N/A engined Foresters are not bad tow vehicles, but as with all cars, pulling no more than 70-75% of the maximum tow rating is a good rule of thumb to stick to. I've covered about 7,000 km towing a ~1 tonne boat and had no problems. The turbo XLs have a slightly higher tow rating, from memory 1,800 kg, but they need 98 RON petrol and are thirsty when towing (Subaru recommends 95 RON for 2.5s when towing, btw).
ForesterDownUnder likes this.

2013 (US 2014) Forester 2.5i-L + Eyesight.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 04:31 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 1998
Car Model: forester
Didn't the 14-18 generation have regular automatics (non-cvt) as an option?

The higher, the fewer.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 05:13 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2018
Car Model: SJ Forester 2.5i Ltd
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru3169 View Post
Didn't the 14-18 generation have regular automatics (non-cvt) as an option?
No automatic option but those model years did have a manual transmission option.

It should also be noted for the OP that Subaru has extended the CVT warranty to 10 years/100,000 miles in the US. However, not sure about down under.

2018 2.5i Ltd FB25 CVT; 2010 2.5X Ltd EJ253 4AT
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 07:09 PM
Administrator
Contributing Member

Car Year: MY03
Car Model: XS Premium / Luxury
Transmission: 4EAT w/diff lock
G'day & Welcome FDU

Quote:
For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Public Profile". Specifically, the "About Me" section (Edit Your Details). This displays every time you make a post on the forum. This will provide information members may need to reply to your forum posts. You can edit this field via the "User Control Panel", aka, "User CP.

If you're using a mobile device, you may need to use a laptop or desktop computer to see all the user tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForesterDownUnder View Post
Thoughts / experiences on 2"+ lift kits? Or what rim/rubber has the consensus
Locally for a lift I'd go SubieLiftOz and for tyres depends on what sort of tracks you want to undertake but BFG, General Grabber, Maxxis, Bridgestone D697 all have good reputations.
ForesterDownUnder likes this.

MY'03 XS AT offroad; MY10 Triton GLX-R
MY'97 Outback RIP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > General Forums > Forester Shopping

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode