Contemplating a Forester - turbo with a manual trans - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By rhiadon

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Contemplating a Forester - turbo with a manual trans

Hello all! The time is coming to trade in the wife's old vehicle for something new and we have our eyes on a few Subarus. Is there a thread with all relevant information on the Forester? At Jeepforum. there is an entire thread named "thinking of buying a Jeep, read this" or something along those lines, is there one for the Forester? What to look for, red flags, what others paid, feature/trim comparison, popular modifications, ect.

I used to have a 2005 Outback XT Limited with a manual transmission and I absolutely loved it; stick shift? turbo? giant sunroof? I'm in! Sadly she was T-boned a few years ago and I'm now in a diesel Jeep (which I also love!). I pulled the banjo filters on my Outback, are Foresters the same design?

We are hoping to find a Turbo Forester with a manual trans somewhere around $15k. Not sure how much of a pipe dream that is. Seems that people who have them, keep them which is also a good sign of its quality but the manual transmissions seem much less desirable.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 02:46 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: Forester Sports XT
Transmission: 5spd Manual
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
@JamBaLam An 04-08 FXT should do the trick

2007 Forester Sports XT 5spd
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 06:57 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

What year did they lose the turbo? Does a hood scoop = turbo model? Is a turbo the difference between X and XT models? Do the Outback, Impreza or Crosstrek come with a turbo?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 07:28 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 05
Car Model: FXT, LGT
I paid $5600 for my '05 Forester XT Premium. So I'd imagine you can do waaay better than $15000. The trick is finding a manual Forester at all. An XT manual is a bit of a unicorn. I was very lucky. It becomes easier if you're willing to drive a good distance to get it. The other trick is finding one that is untouched and unmodified.

That's been my personal experience.

I wish you the best of luck in your search.

Hood scoop likely means turbo because it also likely means an intercooler. I imagine there's some people that put a hood scoop on their non turbo Foresters though. XT means turbo, I believe.

The outback is a Legacy on a lift kit and there are certainly turbo manual Outbacks of a certain generation. I think '05-'08 is correct. The only way to get a turbo Impreza is a WRX or STI. They are Imprezas. I don't think there was ever a turbo Crosstrek, but I'm not an expert.

Another option is the Legacy wagon, but a manual turbo Legacy wagon is probably even more rare than a Forester.

Last edited by rhiadon; 06-19-2019 at 07:34 AM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 03:23 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: Forester 2.5 Premium
Transmission: CVT
Welcome, @JamBaLam !

I don't know much about older Foresters. Subaru stopped making a turbo-Forester with the 2019 models. The 2014-2018 Foresters offered a turbo model (XT), but they do NOT have a hood scoop.

Here's a great site with tons of info on all Subarus. Older model links are on the left. Note that there is no listing for the 2019 Forester and I doubt there will be - looks like the site author has stopped updating...

Subaru Research Site- specs, prices, options, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013.... Outback, Ascent, Legacy, Forester, XV Crosstrek, WRX, STI, Impreza, BRZ, Tribeca

Mike

EDIT: Forgot to add that the 2014-2018 XT turbos are CVT-only.

Last edited by subatron; 06-19-2019 at 06:29 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 05:42 AM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subatron View Post
Welcome, @JamBaLam !

The 2014-2018 Foresters offered a turbo model (XT), but they do NOT have a hood scoop.
I learned something today. Thanks for the correction.
subatron likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 06:20 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: 2.5XT Limited
Transmission: 4EAT
@JamBaLam

If you've got $15K to spend you should have no problem buying a relatively low mileage XT. Finding one with a manual, as others have mentioned, is another story all together. They are out there, but are far more rare than their auto counterparts.

As far as price goes, I picked up my 07 XT (automatic) last year for $12000. Completely stock, unmolested, and rust free, with 80K on the clock. I purchased mine from a Subaru dealer so no doubt I paid at least a 10 - 15% premium. But a fair price none the less. Also for what it's worth, I drove from Ann Arbor, MI to the north side of Chicago to get mine. It happened to be the only one worth buying in a 1000 mile radius at the time, auto or manual.

As to your question of the oil starving banjo filter screens...I had to remove them from my 07...don't think Subaru remedied this genius design until the 09s came out. So you may have to take on that fun task again if you are shopping pre 2009.

Should you try to get your hands on a manual XT Forester? Absolutely!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 05:51 AM
Forum Member

If you really want a manual, a conversion, from my understanding, is not that bad if you're handy. I even have a 5 speed transmission for you if you're nearby. :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > General Forums > Forester Shopping

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode