• 1 Post By Maxwedge

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 06
Car Model: 2.5 X
Transmission: Automatic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
3rd gen vs 4th gen FXT's

I'm looking at buying a used FXT. Initially, I was wanting a third generation FXT because I like the body style much better than that of the fourth gen FXT. However, there are features I do like on the 4th gens. I know it all comes down to personal preference, but I was wondering if there were any obvious things I'm missing or not taking into consideration when trying to decide between the two. So if anyone has anything to share I'd appreciate the knowledge in choosing my next Forester. Anything can be included from better gas mileage, better safety features, better looks, better insurance price along with known mechanical issues, maintenance concerns, recalls, and subtle things that really don't sit right with you. Anything and everything would be appreciated. I'd just like to know as much as I can when I go to buy my FXT. Any facts, opinions, concerns and idea's would be much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 01:11 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: Forester 2.5 Premium
Transmission: CVT
I don't know, but you can go to cars101 and get a ton of info and pics on the various models:

Subaru Research Site- specs, prices, options, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013.... Outback, Ascent, Legacy, Forester, XV Crosstrek, WRX, STI, Impreza, BRZ, Tribeca

Older models are on the left of the main page.

Mike

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 03:06 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2017
Car Model: Forester XT Premium
First, I think there were only 3 gens of XT. There have been 5 Gens of Forester all together, but the 1st ('98 - 2003??) and 5th (2019-) don't have an XT in the line-up.
So 1st, 2nd and 3rd Gen XT's are actually 2nd, 3rd and 4th Gen Forester XT's.

Next, keep in mind that older cars will have wear-n-tear issues that newer ones won't. So while a 2006 XT, NEW, was faster than a 2018 XT, you won't find any new old XT's. The older the XT, the more resto you'll have to do. Rubber bushings and time do not make good friends.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwedge View Post

Next, keep in mind that older cars will have wear-n-tear issues that newer ones won't. So while a 2006 XT, NEW, was faster than a 2018 XT, you won't find any new old XT's. The older the XT, the more resto you'll have to do. Rubber bushings and time do not make good friends.
Is it the age that gives a likelihood of bushings to grow old and be less effective in providing a nice overall comfortable ride? So a '10 FXT with 68k miles with original bushings is most likely to give a rougher ride than a '15 with 105k miles?? I realize it's going to be circumstantial to the vehicles themselves (how it was driven, where it was driven, parked in garage, etc) But in general would you say that holds steady across the board?

I appreciate the insight, it's not something I had actually considered thus far in my approach in looking at FXT's.

Would anyone happen to know if with all the added safety measures included in the 4th generation FXT's that car insurance will be cheaper than a 3rd gen FXT?

Would love to hear more thoughts on this topic, keep em coming!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 08:27 AM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laminimal View Post
Is it the age that gives a likelihood of bushings to grow old and be less effective in providing a nice overall comfortable ride? So a '10 FXT with 68k miles with original bushings is most likely to give a rougher ride than a '15 with 105k miles?? I realize it's going to be circumstantial to the vehicles themselves (how it was driven, where it was driven, parked in garage, etc) But in general would you say that holds steady across the board?
I don't think a 5 year difference will make that much difference, age-wise. I have the experience of owning a 1984 Chevy PU and a 1985 RX7 in the mid 90's with well over 100k miles on each, and owning those same year/model vehicles much more recently with low miles. At 10 yo with high miles they were both solid drivers. At 35 yo with pampered, low miles, they are both sloppy squeaky creaky rides. Good bodies and interiors, but I am having to replace EVERY suspension bushing, sway bar link, steering joints, shocks, dry-rotted tires, brake lines, etc.. This is a much bigger age gap than what you're looking at, but I'm just using it to say that older models will be more worn, obviously, and salt, water and simple age break down cars, whether they are driven or not. Leaving a car sit outside and rarely driving it will rot it out much faster than regular driving.

For a daily driver 80 miles per day, I feel very safe and (almost) comfortable in my '17. If I was looking for a cool project XT I would get an '06. They were faster than the same year 350Z and I like the boxy, station wagon body style more than the modern SUV/CUV style.
laminimal likes this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 08:33 AM
Forum Member

Oh, it's not that old worn-out bushings are " less effective in providing a nice overall comfortable ride?" They get TOO soft and "comfortable", at the cost of good handling. But again, I'm just ranting on because I have spent more on suspension replacement parts recently than I spent on the car itself (my '85 Mazda). If you're buying a 10 year old 70K mile car it won't be anything that drastic. You might just need shocks, a brake line and sway bar links. Depends on how dedicated the previous owner was to his XT.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 08:47 AM
Forum Member

What are you looking to do with the car? Daily driver? Bad weather snow car? Just looking for something different? The XT's are, or are going to be, collector cars. Not too many made, never really advertised, and people that love them really love them. I learned to drive in an '84 Subaru GL FWD, and those are my favorite years. I've always wanted a Wagon or Brat from that era, but good luck finding parts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	021817-Barn-Finds-1983-Subaru-GL-1.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	511517   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tuning Day.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	511521   Click image for larger version

Name:	New XT Rims.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	511523   Click image for larger version

Name:	Neew XT.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	511525  
laminimal likes this.

Last edited by Maxwedge; 06-16-2019 at 08:55 AM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
What are you looking to do with the car? Daily driver? Bad weather snow car? Just looking for something different? The XT's are, or are going to be, collector cars. Not too many made, never really advertised, and people that love them really love them. I learned to drive in an '84 Subaru GL FWD, and those are my favorite years. I've always wanted a Wagon or Brat from that era, but good luck finding parts.
Sorry for the lapsed response time, I've been rather busy with relationship woes. The FXT will be my daily driver. I enjoy a sleek sporty ride so there will be some upgrades done to the vehicle. I appreciate a nice audio system so that will be probably one of the first projects that I am experienced and capable of performing on my own. And while I like driving a fast car, I'm not much a fan of going overboard on engine upgrades for street racing or otherwise. Other upgrades will depend on which gen I end up getting, however the features of a Touring model is what I'm set on. I live in the midwest and all those amenities are rather useful in inclement wx throughout the seasons. If I end up with a 3rd gen, Paddle shifters will be a necessary mod and relieved and excited that they are an easy to do project. Beyond that, I just want an attractive, capable, dependable, fast, outgoing, reliable, troublefree, & unique FXT!

Quote:
.................................................. ..
For a daily driver 80 miles per day, I feel very safe and (almost) comfortable in my '17. If I was looking for a cool project XT I would get an '06. They were faster than the same year 350Z and I like the boxy, station wagon body style more than the modern SUV/CUV style.
I couldn't agree more with you on the body style of an '06. My other forester is an '06 X. I love that slammed wagon look along with the lines of that gen makes it look like it's in motion even when parked. Very classic style attributes, the facelifted tail lights are modern and look great, the eyebrowed headlights along with the interior and the perforated dash, not to mention the addition of the abundance of drink holders..... whoops wrong year lol (j\k)! They just looks so fly!

Can anyone share any info about the oil eating 3rd Gens? Which 4th Gen years have an active and reliable low oil indicator on the dash?
Are there any other things about either generation that they have become notorious for?

Anyways.... back to work.

Thanks again (Maxwedge)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > General Forums > Forester Shopping

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode