2018 - Taking Forester on the beach - wash off salt? - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2018 - Taking Forester on the beach - wash off salt?

We have a 2018 Forester that we would like to do some easy beach driving with on tracks that the car can comfortably handle. But that means sand and salt. Of course we would thoroughly wash under the car after (I’ve always run a lawn sprinkler under other 4wds for an hour or two after using them on the beach). I was wondering what else I can be doing though to try to prevent rust? We would like to hold on to this car for several years. Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 05:22 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2017
Car Model: Forester
A lot of the underside is covered with plastic making it inaccessible. But I use a long handled scrub brush soaked in soapy water to reach as much as possible underneath. This is good for the LCAs, differential, sway bar, muffler, and wheel wells among other things.

I have three years of beach driving on my 2017 with no noticeable wear. Frankly I worry more about the salt on the roads every winter.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 06:02 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2018
Car Model: Forester
To beach ride here you have to have a full size spare. I haven't beach rode with my Subi, but I go every year with my Expedition that has a full size spare. When done I get under and use the garden hose to wash the salt and sand off. You never get it all and eventually it will rot the underneath anyway. I wouldn't take a 2018 like I have out to the beach, dune riding cause I want my Subi to last.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Ok thanks all!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 06:18 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2019
Car Model: Forester Sport
Transmission: CVT
There are pre-wash sprays that help remove salt. While usually used by people in the salt encrusted frozen tundra, they are effective for those blessed with the opportunity to explore coastlines.

Amazon has one such spray: Salt-Away Salt Remover Spray

Even aluminum will corrode quickly if exposed to salt. I rode ATVs in the Great Salt Lake (big tires make them float) and motorcycles on the Bonneville Salt Flats. I assure you corroded aluminum is ugly.

Last edited by RawLand; 06-19-2019 at 07:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Car Care

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode