('14-'18) 2017 2.5 Premium Question - OEM, U-Haul or TorkLift? - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

8Likes

post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 03:16 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2017
Car Model: Forester 2.5 Touring
Transmission: CVT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2017 2.5 Premium Question - OEM, U-Haul or TorkLift?

Just picked one up on Saturday. I plan to (occasionally) tow one or two jet skis--when I say occasionally, I mean like, 5 or 6 times a year. Obviously, the OEM is expensive as hell (quoted $700 like everyone else around here). Looking at U-Haul but their stuff is ugly for sure. I looked at TorkLift as suggested by many around here but there isn't an installer anywhere near here--Jacksonville, FL. I'm not handy enough to attempt to tackle this myself.

Any other suggestions on hitches?

Also, anything special for the electric I need to be concerned about?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 06:14 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: 2.0XT Premium
Transmission: Automatic
I too planning to have one installed and pretty set on getting Torklift. I did find an installer about a hour away but that just means they are licensed with Torklift, does NOT mean nobody else can install it. So the point is, I am sure you have within driving distance a place that does tow-hitch installs in general, if you really want a Torklift talk to them about it and go from there.

Note the reason I am going with the place about a 1hr away versus the place 2 miles down the road is this place is all about detail and I want the outcome to be very nice, hidden, and uses the least amount of ground clearance as possible. If that wasn't such a concern then I would go with the normal installer down the road.

P.S.

I watched YouTube videos of guys installing it and it looks very doable to do on your own but I am not about to; just a personal preference.

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 08:43 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2001
Car Model: Forester L
Transmission: 4 Speed Auto
For OEM, you'll definitely want the OEM harness, which on the 2017, the wire harness is available separately for $100, so definitely pick up that - the OEM really is that much better. The hitch itself is no great shakes, Foresters aren't great tow vehicles in USDM configuration, so it's six of one and half a dozen of the other, but, honestly, $700 if it includes the harness installed sounds like an OK price - you may save a few hundred elsewhere, but the harness easily costs as much as the hitch most places.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 09:11 AM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jec6613 View Post
For OEM, you'll definitely want the OEM harness, which on the 2017, the wire harness is available separately for $100, so definitely pick up that - the OEM really is that much better. The hitch itself is no great shakes, Foresters aren't great tow vehicles in USDM configuration, so it's six of one and half a dozen of the other, but, honestly, $700 if it includes the harness installed sounds like an OK price - you may save a few hundred elsewhere, but the harness easily costs as much as the hitch most places.
I am open to any suggestions myself but don't get why OEM versus alternative. Note I won't be towing, I will be using it primarily as a bike rack.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 09:35 AM
Forum Member

Location: THe unmentionable part of a female whale,California
Car Model: FOrester 2.5i
Transmission: cvt
Many hitch threads to choose from for more background https://www.subaruforester.org/vbulle...09/index2.html
Subaru Forester Owners Forum - Search Results for ecohitch

'17 Forester2.5i, CVT...~12000 miles
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 09:37 AM
Forum Member

Just found this and will be reading it. To the OP might want to check this out if you haven't already.

https://www.subaruforester.org/vbulle...-hitch-560602/
GadgetRick likes this.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester 2.5 Touring
Thanks. I was reading through this before I posted. Good info in there.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 04:44 AM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetRick View Post
Thanks. I was reading through this before I posted. Good info in there.
NP,

Picking her up tomorrow and if I find mine doesn't come with a OEM hitch, I decided I am going with Torklift Ecohitch. The recommendations are just too much to ignore.
CoolMike and GadgetRick like this.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 05:18 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester 2.5i MT
I put a Torklift on mine. Three hours. Not too difficult if you are just a little handy. A dremel proved useful, but you do not need it. And mind the advice someone gave on trimming the plastic bumper with their measurements. Well built hitch. I love the look.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 05:21 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester 2.5i Tourin
Torklift hands down. It's mounting configuration is just plain better than the other ones out there. As someone mentioned before, it bolts through the "frame rails" of the forester, so it has effective holding force closer to the center of the car instead of just hanging down at the furthest rear point. It's robust, incredibly well-built (USA Made!), with a great finish. And it's a class III with a standard 2" receiver, not the wimpy class 1/2 where your hauling equipment is severely undersized.

Moving to the install, it wasn't too bad to get it on the car. You'll need a second person to help hold it up above a pinch seam while you lay under the car and screw the nuts on the bolts. Don't try to do it all yourself; I rarely curse and hearing me trying to install this alone would've made a pirate blush. Getting the muffler back on the hanger is a bear. Instead of removing the muffler from the rubber hanger, remove the rubber hanger from the body hanger so it comes down still attached to the muffler. It'll help ALOT when reinstalling that. Torklift says don't let the muffler hang by the exhaust pipe, but it didn't hurt mine at all. Get yourself some silicone spray, a long thin pry bar, and this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and it'll help immensely. Then when you're all done just make sure you don't have too many extra body clips you forgot to install

I've got no clue why the OEM harness is $100, this Curt harness is a cool $26: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 It's plug and play, watch the install video on eTrailer's website here: https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-...id=20171175872

Or if you don't want to get dirty, just buy the hitch and harness and pay someone a couple hundred to do it

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 05:22 AM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1982 View Post
I put a Torklift on mine. Three hours. Not too difficult if you are just a little handy. A dremel proved useful, but you do not need it. And mind the advice someone gave on trimming the plastic bumper with their measurements. Well built hitch. I love the look.
I used my Makita oscillating tool to cut it super-precisely. It worked and looks great!
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 05:34 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: 2.5i Touring
Transmission: Auto-CVT
Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerguy View Post
I am open to any suggestions myself but don't get why OEM versus alternative. Note I won't be towing, I will be using it primarily as a bike rack.
Depends on how many bikes you plan to carry and the weight of the rack+bikes. The OEM hitch is a Class II but barely. I think in Canada it's designated as a Class I but don't quote me on that. Also, not sure if they've fixed this but the pin hole was too close to the end of the receiver which limited the racks you could use in it. I had a quality after-market Class II 1 1/4" but wasn't happy with the amount of movement in the hitch when loaded with two bikes or more. I switched to a Class III with a 2" receiver and am much more comfortable with it.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 05:34 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XT Touring
Ecohitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerguy View Post
NP,

Picking her up tomorrow and if I find mine doesn't come with a OEM hitch, I decided I am going with Torklift Ecohitch. The recommendations are just too much to ignore.
could you post direct link to the product?
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 06:16 AM
Forum Member

https://***************.com/rving-an...ester-ecohitch

You can get the 1.25" or 2" receiver.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 08:26 AM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamevay View Post
could you post direct link to the product?

Using Google.com I got this:

https://***************.com/2014-201...ester-ecohitch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Towing and Hauling

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode