offsets - Page 2 - Subaru Forester Owners Forum

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Fast & Dirty

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: 4 speed auto
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I am looking for 16" rims so I can get 215/65R16 Yoko AT2's.

Me likey to get dirty. :)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 04:27 PM
Supporting Vendor

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: All
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by subieoutlaw View Post
Hi, could you please clarify something for me. I am trying to find 16" rims for my 09 Forester.

When I enter my car information I get:
Wheel Products By Vehicle - Discount Tire

Unless I have a blind spot your site lists rims with every offset BUT the Subaru 48mm offset.

Why are you listing wheels for a Forester that have something other than the Subaru 48mm offset? I have to now go to the manufacturers site to find out that there is no 16" rims with a 48mm offset.

Would it not be helpful to list the offset on your website like tirerack does? Do you make customers aware of this offset issue when they are ordering? Deviating from 48mm offsets lead to bearing issues.

I do not mean to come across as being difficult. However, I am a member of this forum and I am looking for some new rims. Therefore, I thought I would start with a supporting vendor. However, your website it not useful and more importantly is inaccurate.

Cheers
Thank you for your post. Maybe we can help straighten some of this out for you.

First about wheel bearings: Do a search here. You will find plenty of people having issues with their wheel bearings on their foresters. In reading these I haven't seen a common issue between "offset" and wheel bearing failure for your vehicle. We don't doubt that someone, somewhere had a warranty claim for a wheel bearing that was denied due to a said " incorrect offset" but it sure makes me wonder how this was determined. Especially after reading so many claims for bearing issues here.

When doing a search by vehicle on our website you will find a wide range of offsets. We choose to show these wheel options because there are Subaru owners that are looking for a wider stance. We realize that there are some people that want to keep their vehicles as close to stock as possible but there are also people that would like a more aggressive stance as well. Showing all the wheels that will bolt up without requiring modification to the fenders, brakes, frame and suspension components helps provides a product option for both types of enthusiasts. Our website shows a wider range of offsets than some of our competitors because we physically measure vehicles for our fitment guide. This helps us provide information to those that want to push the extreme where the limits are.

Offsets: Here is a link that describes offsets and how they are measured Wheel offsets Typically the wider the wheel you decide to run the lower the offset needs to be. This pushes the wheel out to help avoid contact with the vehicles suspension, brakes or frame.

Note: Offsets are listed for every wheel on our website. Example: Using your link, the first wheel listed is a Unique Steel wheel in the size:

16X6.5 5-100/115 41B
"41" is the offset of this particular wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea-scooby View Post
That is weird. If you put in an earlier year Forester you get wheels in the +45 to +50 range.
Different model foresters have different fitment clearances and requirements. Offset ranges will be different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicali View Post
I doubt it Outlaw, I wouldn’t expect to get an answer unless you have a set of wheels picked out, and even then I’d be surprised if they came back with the offset. DT doesn't make the wheels so they are only passing along what they can get info-wise.. I'd rather find out from the manufacture anyways.

Here is the problem; joe wheel/tire buyer drops his car off at the tire shop for new wheels. He picks from what they have sitting there ready to go and drives off with a big grin.

Now, anyone who can draw a picture, hold a ruler, and do some basic math can figure out if the offset is right or not, but a lot of wheels with wrong offsets will bolt onto your car. Too high and you are going to have clearance issues, to low and you may have wheel bearing issues. Either way it will still roll down the road for 85% of joe Q. but once you know, you know?

Those yoks come in 215/60/R17, are you sure you need to go to new wheels? for the extra 10mm of width I would go that way. think of how many trips to Kananaskis you could have done by the time you've sorted the wheels issue out?

mike
We sponsor almost 100 different forums. It may take us a little longer to get back to you but if you post in our forum, your question will have a response. We're people just like you, we just happen to sell wheels and tires. You can also call our sales department at 1.888.459.4080 if you need a question answered immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleiad7 View Post
I honestly think DTD is a little misinformed on the offset issue and how it relates to wheel bearing failure on Subies, as evidenced earlier by this thread: 09 Forester, 215 65R 16 tires -- what wheels? - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
I'd be happy to read more on the subject if you have seen it. I searched for "wheel bearing". I couldn't find much that related to wheels "offset" The fact is, there are many, many things that can cause a wheel bearing to go out and its almost impossible to narrow it down to one thing; road conditions, driving habits, geographic location of vehicle, the original bearing itself could be weak, wheel and tire weight could be a contributing factor as well as the vehicles brakes pad type, rotors and even the tires rubber compound. Shoot it could be all of the above really. I don't doubt that someone, somewhere had a bearing go out and tried to claim it under warranty only to be denied by Subaru due to a said incorrect "offset". If its something common on this vehicle I would gladly pass the information onto our corporate office. By all means send me the info.

-Travis

Low Prices! More Choices! Trusted Experts!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Fast & Dirty

I appreciate your response Travis.
My point is why bother entering my cars make and model if Discount tire is simply going offer wheels with an offset of 38 to 55. I have taken the time on your website to enter my car info and your site simply spits out wheels.

Though autoguide would not permit my link from working, tirerack offered rims of 48 or 50. That is it. They also offered the info with each wheel displayed on the tirerack website.

Your website assumes its users know everything about wheels and all the numbers related to it. I am not that person. Subaru says my wheels are 48 offset 5x100. That is what I want. Tirerack offers the correct wheels. Simply. Your site does not.

The end.

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 09:20 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester AE
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
I appreciate your response Travis.
My point is why bother entering my cars make and model if Discount tire is simply going offer wheels with an offset of 38 to 55. I have taken the time on your website to enter my car info and your site simply spits out wheels.

Your website assumes its users know everything about wheels and all the numbers related to it. I am not that person. Subaru says my wheels are 48 offset 5x100. That is what I want.
The end.
I think Travis makes an excellent point, if say next week DT changes their website so that when you put in your 2010 forester and get only those wheels with a 48 offset we would be complaining about the lack of selection..
there are websites that work that way; no match found...

they have decided to make the website list the widest possible range, outlaw only wants 48 offset, so he picks those wheels out of the list.. someone trying to get into the 245 club is going to need different offsets.

so are you watching your wheel width outlaw?
et48 is going to sit different on a 6.5in stocker that it does on a 7in aftermarket wheel.. if you are deciding that you have to have the rims match stockers measurements you'll be better off buying a set of forester 16s, than holding you breath on finding an exact match online.

myself, I would like to go a bit wider than 215, so impreza wheels with et55 are going to start causing problems..

mike

post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Fast & Dirty

I am keeping every dimension stock.

215/65R16
geo A/T-S

As for DT's website, try tirerack.com and see how it should work.

If there fear is "no matches" for a 48offset......BUY WHEELS WITH A 48 OFFSET. The 09 Forester is one of the most popular cars around right now and it would appear that DT has nothing to offer those that want to swap out their stock rim for something else.

No matches is a weak weak argument.

All this thread as done is make me start and end with tirerack,com

I am finished.

post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 08:37 AM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
I am keeping every dimension stock.

215/65R16
geo A/T-S

As for DT's website, try tirerack.com and see how it should work.

If there fear is "no matches" for a 48offset......BUY WHEELS WITH A 48 OFFSET. The 09 Forester is one of the most popular cars around right now and it would appear that DT has nothing to offer those that want to swap out their stock rim for something else.

No matches is a weak weak argument.

All this thread as done is make me start and end with tirerack,com

I am finished.
If our wheel brands built it, we would show it. Right now if you are looking for a 48 offset we offer the MB Gear. Our website is ever evolving. Make no mistake, we do not "fear" showing no options, we choose to show additional options. If we had no options that fit your Forester you would see, a display page like this one. Cherokee SRT-8 The Forests is a versatile vehicle that allows the owner to customize it to their driving conditions and their wants and needs. Although our list contains a wide range of offsets, I am sure that there are even wider ranges that this vehicle will except given an appropriate tire size. As for the display, we are working on displaying the size information so that it is more clear for you. For your reference. The link below is to the 48 offset MB Gear. This wheel can be found in your link above. Please note, the link you provided above is a link to the products that are readily available in the local Los Angelas, CA area. For Canada check out Home - Discount Tire Direct. Here you will start to see the improvements to the Product descriptions. You will also be able to get a to-your-door delivered price. We ship to Canada UPS ground FREE (customs, duties, fees and taxes must be paid upfront)

Mb Gear

If you are interested in upgrading to a 17" option like what is found on the XT models Here is a list of 48 offset wheels that can be found on our mail order website here: Home - Discount Tire Direct. Your local store may stock some of these items and can special order any of these when requested. I have taken the liberty to sift through the 48 offset only 17" wheels for you. Please let us know if you have any questions.

MB Weapon
MB Boost Gold
MB Boost Gun Metal
MB Interline
Konig Zero
Maxxum Guilt
5Zigen FN01RC - Hot Version Silver
5Zigen FNO1RC- Hot Version Bronze
5Zigen FN01RC - Hot Version Black with Red Stripe
5zigen FN01RC- Hot Version polished
5Zigen FN01RC- Hot Version Matte Black
5zigen FN01RC - Hot Version Black with Polish

post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 08:55 AM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicali View Post
they have decided to make the website list the widest possible range, outlaw only wants 48 offset, so he picks those wheels out of the list.. someone trying to get into the 245 club is going to need different offsets...
Correct. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Vendor Member Section > Discount Tire

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode