Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Method Rally Wheels (limited stock - Pre-order now!)

176K views 219 replies 79 participants last post by  Discount Tire 
#1 ·
NOW IN STOCK!!!

Details: Method Race Wheels Rally 15x7 +15 Matte Black

We had the chance to pick up a limited number (only 120) 15x7 Method Racing Rally wheels. We've placed our order and the wheels are on their way. If you are looking to give your Forester an aggressive rally look you won't find a better wheel option so jump on these while supplies last.

Method Racing Rally Wheel Specs:

15x7 5x100 +15mm offset
Matte Black Finish
Steel Inserted lug holes - Strength
No center cap
Subaru Hub Centric (56.1 hub bore)
Built to Subaru Rally Team Specs

Recognize these wheels? Likely so, these wheels are produced by Method Racing Wheels for the Subaru Rally Team. Driver David Higgins recently finished the last 14 miles of stage 6 at the Mt. Hood Rally on a bare wheel after he blew a tire in the first mile. Higgins reached speeds over 100mph and this is what the wheel looked like after the beating.

More info on the story here: WATCH: David Higgins In-Car and Mt. Hood Rally Recap | Method Race Wheels

To pre-order a set for your Subaru please call 1.888.459.4080.

_____
_____
_____

See less See more
#156 · (Edited)
I would recommend going with the +15 offset because it will just look much nicer on your vehicle. Will push the wheel out towards the fenders and give it a more full look. Also adding much needed room for larger wider tires by pushing it further from the strut.

I think the +41 or +48 would look awkward given the overall size of the new foresters. Wheel and tire would be shoved into the car and not give it that off road presence and feel that you appear to be looking for. I might be a little biased but I am quite pleased with the look on my older 06 Fxt and think this would be my only choice if shopping for them for a 08 and onward.

235 will fit fine on the 7' width of the wheel.

Frontal 3/4s shot to give the overall fit on my 06 fxt with +15 offset.

Forestering by Blingstrom, on Flickr

Side shot as well.

Flares by Blingstrom, on Flickr

#162 ·
Super late response. I have had these on for 4k miles and about 10 months. Knowing the suspension lifted is and not what it used to be and my car has 208k miles on it now.

Wheel bearings are of little concern to me.... If they go, they go. I will just replace them when the time comes, being that I have no idea if they have ever been replaced or what the car has been through. (Bought it 2 years ago with 194k miles on it) I just go about fixing what needs attention when it fails. But so far, so good.

Another photo as I really love how they sit and fit on the car.

Road running by Blingstrom, on Flickr

#158 ·
Thanks DTD!!!! So much better than stock wheels!!!!!

Running with LT235/75/15 AT G015

ADF 2 inch front and 2.5 inch rear lift...

I actually messed up and meant to order 225/75/15 so there is a little rubbing when turning but some of that fender liner was going to be removed soon anyway.

Thanks again DTD! Love the new setup.

We appreciate the shout out. Glad you like your new set up. If you get a chance can you please post a photo. We would love to see what it looks like.

Thank you for your business.

Attachments

#166 ·
Thank you for reaching out, Hodaka!

DTD no longer carries the 15x7 (5-100) +48 MR501 VT-Spec (silver finish) in stock, however, they can order a set for you. I show current online pricing at $145.00 per wheel and the estimated lead time on ordered products is 7 to 10 business days.

Shoot us a PM if we can help facilitate an order for you!

#177 ·

Attachments

#191 ·
Big shout out to Matt at Discount Tire Direct!! My 225-70-15 Yokohama Geolander A/t G015's and Method 502 VT-Spec wheels and lugs came in today!
I think I gained about an inch of lift at least. Still looking for my torque wrench before I take them for a spin but first impressions are fantastic, totally transforms the car.
DTD was awesome, thank you so very much!

Attachments

#193 ·
Thanks a ton to you guys for sharing information and experience. I jumped on memorial day deal from Discount Tire Direct for Method 502 VT-Spec with P235/75/15 Yokohama Geolandar G015. I chose G015 for comfort on paved road. Turns out they are quieter and smoother than outgoing Pirelli Cinturato all-season. Maybe less-rim-more-tire played a role there too.

Below I listed my method for installing Method 502 VT-spec wheels with oversize tires.

1) Clearance
I installed 1" lift spacers on front and rear shocks for wheel / ground clearance. I think 1" lift is the minimum if you decide to go with 235/75r15. Unintended consequence of lift is my rear camber actually got better.​

2) Rubbing avoidance
For potential rubbing, I pushed out fender liners with heat gun and hammer. Low offset of the wheel (+15mm) helps a lot, but if you don't modify liner, there will be some rubbing at front wheel when turning.

3) TPMS
My research on Forester TPMS wasn't completed so I ordered wheel/tire mounted and balanced san TPMS.

Glad that I skipped TPMS when I ordered as it turned out TPMS is major headache for Subarus when you swap out wheels.

I concluded that the most reasonable solution is to clone the sensors so that you don't have to go to dealer to have the system 'relearn' the new IDs every time you swap out wheels.

I went with Autel MX 315MHz sensors with metal stem ($25 each eBay/amazon). I also purchased Autel TPMS tool TS408 ($112 eBay) for cloning. (Cheaper Autel tool exists (called MaxiPAD $50 off ebay), but there are some unconfirmed reports that it can't read OEM Subaru sensors inside wheel).

I installed these sensors myself after local tire shops quoted $86 + tax for just installation/rebalancing. I also didn't want to haul the tires all the way to the shop and back. DIY TPMS installation involved breaking bead only on TPMS side, removing old valve stem, sliding/screwing in new sensor, reseating tire, and rebalancing.

For rebalance, I measured weight difference between old rubber stem and new Autel MX TPMS sensors. The difference was 0.77 oz, which is basically three 1/4 oz balance weight. Using some arithmetic and basic trigonometry, I moved around a few weights to compensate the 0.77 oz difference. I ended up using net zero weight for all four wheels.

The most difficult part of DIY TPMS installation was seating the tire. The rim has very tight space inside, so the installed TPMS module prevents the bead of tire ever so slightly from touching the seat of the rim. I solved this problem by using L-shaped paintless dent-removal hook to get the bead over the TPMS making initial seal. Because of this I spent about an hour for the first wheel. But once I learned the trick, it took 10 minutes each for the rests.

If I had known all these, I would have asked Discount Tires about these MX sensors when I ordered wheel/tire set.​

4) Wheel center cap
I've been reading that these racing wheels don't have ridge for center caps, so you have to fashion some kind of adapter to put center cap in place.

But upon receiving the wheels, I noticed that there is clearly a ring intended for center cap. I don't know if the design has changed, but the stock 60mm diameter Subaru plastic center cap goes straight in and secures perfectly.

So I bought and installed black 60mm center caps with Subaru logo from eBay (~$15).​

Attachments

#197 ·
Do you have any 15" 501 wheels with the +41 offset? I'm interested in a quote with some 215/70r15 Geolandar A/T G015s or maybe with a 225/70r15. This would be for my 09 Forester XT, which I am pretty sure the 15" wheels will clear the calipers, but confirmation would be appreciated. Thanks!

#199 ·
DTD does not have the 15x7 ET+48 501 VT-Spec in stock, however, they can order a set and Method has inventory available. They also confirmed the 15x7 +48 clears your brakes :cool:

What's the difference between VT-Spec 1's and VT-Spec 2's by the way, I have 4 originals, and I'm a bit saddened that this VT-Spec 2's can't be bought as replacements
I'm pretty certain the original version came with a center cap trim ring. The new version (VT-Spec 2) no longer does, but it accepts O.E.M. Subaru snap-in center caps. Spec-2 also brings out the bronze finish where the original was only offered in silver or black.

I'm not sure I follow what you mean when you say the VT-Spec 2's can't be bought as replacements - can you clarify?

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.